advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Burned by Brooklyn Camera Store: Recourse
Posted by: Randalls
Date: January 23, 2006 11:48AM
To recap: bought my daughter a canon a610 from Butterfly Photo for @135.00 via phone. Have screen capture of the price and name of salesperson. The reciept in the box shows charge of $299. I contacted Butterfly and my credit card company to dispute. Now my card company says they have no recourse but to believe Butterfly since they have sent a (bogus) invoice. How can I fight these people? T.I.A.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Burned by Brooklyn Camera Store: Recourse
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: January 23, 2006 11:54AM
Do you have proof of the $135 price? an ad? website?

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 23, 2006 12:00PM
send the screen capture to the credit card company and Butterfly to remind them both of state and fed laws regarding fraud. a pleasantly worded but make a point letter wakes many small shops like that.

if you live in NYS, we have excellent small claims laws. $10 or so to file.
I got $3000 from an insurance company for a car blue booked at $1500.
Most small company don't even send a lawyer and the judge finds the case in your favor and leans the company, at least in NYS.
if not, alert our atty general as well as your states. Elliot Spitzer here.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 23, 2006 12:13PM
Did you not receive an order confirmation? They usually are either displayed at the end of the order placing process or sent via e-mail. If the former, you should have made a screenshot of that or saved as a PDF.

It is what it is.
Posted by: shadow
Date: January 23, 2006 12:15PM
Randalls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now my card company says they have no
> recourse but to believe Butterfly since they have
> sent a (bogus) invoice.

Not that I would do this, of course... ;)

Fight fire with fire... scan your invoice that came with the camera, change the amount to $135, and forward it and a copy of the screenshot to the credit card company.

BTW, what CC is this so I know to avoid them in the future?

- Shadow
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 23, 2006 12:24PM
Ya buys from a Brooklyn Camera store, ya takes yer chances.
Write it off as a learning experience.
Posted by: dbow
Date: January 23, 2006 02:25PM
That sucks, I have bought two cameras from them with zero problem. And I just sent a friend there looking for a Sony R1.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 23, 2006 02:33PM
Not to sound rude, but Butterfly Photo does not offer the Canon A610 for $135 on their web site, was this a refurbished camera or something? Because otherwise I think you may have misheard the price? If you look at their web site, the price on the invoice sounds about right.
Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: January 23, 2006 04:18PM
I've posted this URL before but it's "fun" viewing unless you're involved in a dispute or something.

[donwiss.com]
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: January 23, 2006 10:13PM
I bought my Pentax *ist DS from Butterfly Photo without any hassles at all. I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem...but here's today's listing on the camera you say you "bought for $135":
[www2.butterflyphoto.com]

$226 is a lot more/different than $135. Who knows what really happened?

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 23, 2006 10:34PM
Tell them you're calling Eliot Spizer after you hang up. If you don't live in NY, call you state's AG as well.

[www.oag.state.ny.us]
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: January 24, 2006 03:35AM
They seem to have a pretty good rating. This may fall under one of those "pricing errors are not our fault areas". I don't see the camera that low anywhere at any legit place.

[www.bizrate.com]

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Date: January 24, 2006 09:07AM
Since Randalls hasn't returned with a follow-up, I am going to speculate that this may simply have been some confusion on somebody's part between the A410 and the A610, as opposed to any deliberate fraud by Butterfly Photo.
Date: January 24, 2006 01:18PM
Nope: FRAUD! (in my opinion). Sorry about the delay. The credit card company said this is the last day I can contest the bogus charges. I mailed them a letter with proofs attached and they left me a voice mail saying I had to contact them today or they could not investigate further. Left 2 voice mails with "Renee" with no call backs yet. I also faxed all my material this morning at 7:00 a.m.

I sent copies of the screen shot showing the price agreed upon ($235) and copies of a dated email and a copy of a dated letter (both faxed and mailed) to Butterfly that also contained copies of the screen shot. I have yet to hear ANYTHING from Butterfly Photo.
If I hadn't confirmed the price with both the sales person (Tom) and the billing person I would think the same thing-just a little mix up. BUT, since I never heard any reply from Butterfly I think they may just be hunkered down in the weeds counting my money and hoping the whole thing blows over.

I will apparently have to talk to someone other than "Renee" to make sure they don't shove this under the rug.
Date: January 24, 2006 01:29PM
OH, by the by....messed up on my typing......I hope i didn't tick everyone off. The advertised price was $235....not $135. My bad. Only $63 bucks difference, but people have been robbed for a lot less.
Still...it is the fact that no one at Butterfly even bothered to contact me. I thought originally that this could possibly be a mix up on their billing...but since I tracked the price of the a610 several weeks after buying it their price never went over $245 for the unit. So how does it magically jump to $298?
I can buy as many a610's as I want at any brick and mortars here in Hoosierland for $298.
I will follow-up. But as Seacrest says...it was my fault for dealing with this "business" in the first place.
Date: January 24, 2006 02:01PM
And for the skeptics...
Date: January 24, 2006 04:25PM
The skepticism was due to your typo. It was very difficult to believe they quoted you $135.

Which they didn't, as it turns out.
Date: January 24, 2006 04:35PM
That is true $tevie....but $63 bucks is $63 bucks. If someone verbally promises you a price they should follow through. When it's documented I think this throws a whole new light on their business practices.

The CCC did call and they are following up. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Anyway, the camera did arrive in a timely manner (didn't turn out to be a brick in a box). So except for using their quoted price as a bait and then charging whatever the heck they wanted, I have no problem with BF....but thought others should be vewwwy vewwwy cautious when dealing with these people.
Date: January 24, 2006 05:23PM
Randalls Wrote:
> That is true $tevie....but $63 bucks is $63 bucks.
> If someone verbally promises you a price they
> should follow through. When it's documented I
> think this throws a whole new light on their
> business practices.

This is why I get so frustrated on forums. It is such a klunky way to try to communicate.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset. I got the feeling you thought we were "skeptical" about your story -- since you did say "for the skeptics" -- and I was explaining where the skepticism came from.

I can't believe anybody thinks you shouldn't try to get this worked out. I certainly did not mean that.
Date: January 25, 2006 08:19AM
I certainly understand. I created the mix-up. I do want to thank everyone for their input.
I didn't check my first post and missed the $135 vs $235 typo thus the confusion. I will post any resolution when it occurs. If something looks too good to be true it usually is.
Cheers to the forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020