Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
EV Reliability As Varied As Gasoline Cars, Consumer Reports Finds
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 10, 2021 08:39PM
Cool

It found that EVs in the $35,000 to $45,000 score far better than those in the $75,000 and over segment.

The Tesla Model S and Model X, Porsche Taycan and Jaguar I-Pace all score second from the bottom on Consumer Report’s five point reliability scale in the latest ratings. The Audi E-Tron is at the very bottom.

But if you go to entry-level electric vehicles—the $35,000 to $45,000 range—reliability is much better. The Chevrolet Bolt is among the most reliable vehicles, regardless of powertrain, Fisher said. It carries the highest reliability rating. The Hyundai Kona Electric and the Nissan Leaf score in the middle of the magazine’s scale, indicating average reliability. But the Kia Niro gets worse than average marks.

The mid-priced tier—$45,000 to $55,000— is mixed. The Tesla Model 3 and BMW I3 have average reliability. The Tesla Model Y comes in at the bottom tier.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: EV Reliability As Varied As Gasoline Cars, Consumer Reports Finds
Posted by: davester
Date: November 11, 2021 12:54AM
Makes no sense. A Tesla Model 3 and Model Y are mechanically essentially identical. CR has done this before, ranking identical cars made on the same production line but having different badges as highly disparate reliability-wise.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 12:56AM by davester.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 11, 2021 05:16AM
davester
Makes no sense. A Tesla Model 3 and Model Y are mechanically essentially identical. CR has done this before, ranking identical cars made on the same production line but having different badges as highly disparate reliability-wise.

The initial production units for the model Y rolled out during COVID and had some issues. As far as I can tell, CR is still punishing Tesla for that transient problem.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 11, 2021 05:59AM
"The Bolt is Reliable"... until the battery defect causes it to catch fire. That one is a nightmare scenario for owners and Chevrolet.

[www.chevrolet.com]
Date: November 11, 2021 06:19AM
cbelt3
"The Bolt is Reliable"... until the battery defect causes it to catch fire. That one is a nightmare scenario for owners and Chevrolet.

[www.chevrolet.com]

Same battery that was used in the Kona. Technically, not a car specific problem. Like buying bad gas then blaming the engine for failing.

I just bought two new EVs. I’ll post a thread about it in a day or so.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 11, 2021 06:24AM

I can't wait.
Date: November 11, 2021 06:54AM
space-time

I can't wait.

I considered buying a hybrid. Until I drove one. No going back to gas, ever. Like deciding to give up your Mac for an abacus. Might be fun for a few minutes, but not something you would want to do every day.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 11, 2021 07:19AM
I've stopped using Consumer Reports for ratings because, most of the time, the items they review are no longer available.

Cars are the exception but even then taken with a large grain of salt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 07:19AM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 11, 2021 10:03AM
I'm going to take a stand on the Bolt EV here, having owned two.

The battery issue is a non-issue for 99.95% of owners. It's been blown way out of proportion by the media, especially as the fossil fuel industry is feeling the pinch of Ev adoption.

We originally owned a 2017 BoltEV, purchased used. When the battery recall was issued, we did a factory buyback, as the 2020+ models used a different model of battery. Although our swap to a new 2020 took some time, Chevrolet did it right. We turned in the older one and picked up the new one for the cost of tax and license.

There has been one verified fire in the 2020+ models out of thousands sold. I am not worried about it and eventually Chevy will declare my battery fine or replace it.

So moving away from the battery non-issue, the Bolt EV has been the most reliable new car I have bought since 2010. We have had zero issues with either the 2017 or 2020. Fit and finish is very good, and, outside of the battery, zero recalls and zero repairs. EV's have far less ongoing maintenance.

Our previous three new cars:

2010 Toyota Matrix: 5 recalls and 2 warranty repairs but otherwise not terrible over 180k
2017 Subaru Crosstrek: 4 recalls and 2 warranty repairs over 30k
2018 Subaru Crosstrek: 6 recalls and one warranty repair in 40k

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020