advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rivian's IPO is shocking...investors are all amped up...charging up that hill
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 11, 2021 07:29AM
Company valued at 100 billion. Second only to TSLA.

That includes Ford, GM, and all other "traditional" manufacturers.

Irrational exuberance, or a sign of the times?

[www.reuters.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rivian's IPO is shocking...investors are all amped up...charging up that hill
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 11, 2021 07:37AM
More shocking will be the traffic jams from dead EV's.

Staunton, Virginia
Re: Rivian's IPO is shocking...investors are all amped up...charging up that hill
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 11, 2021 07:56AM
Bernie

I think RIVIAN’s ipo is a bit optimistic and ahead of the business but they are well ahead of where Tesla were when they launched. Rivian have been around for 10 years. They’re no longer a “start up”.

Not sure why you think EVs would cause traffic jams. They’re faster than ICE cars, more reliable, more efficient and last almost an order of magnitude longer. At least Teslas do. GM only has two or three data points to draw from(Volt, Bolt, Spark), four if you include the EV1. In a few years Ford will be gone as we know it now. GM will last a little longer. Toyota is all talk so far. They’ve built some hydrogen fuel cell vehicles but that’s a non-starter for consumer use. Of ALL the legacy auto companies, VW is ironically the only one that seems to have a clue about what’s coming and has a slim chance to react fast enough. Herbert Diess is doing everything he can but he’s battling unions, politicians, shareholders, and fellow VW execs. It’s going to be REALLY painful market contractionS for a bit for legacy auto. Most won’t survive. Chinese auto companies will hit our shores in 1-2 years. By then, Tesla will be making more cars than Ford or GM. After that it will be game over for Ford, GM, Chrystellantis, BMW, Mercedes,

Edit: it occurred to me that maybe people in the Midwest don’t see the transition because Teslas are rare there. Teslas are very common in WA, OR, and CA. In Europe, the Model 3 was the most popular car by sales in October. Not most popular “EV” but most popular CAR. Norway has EV sales that are already close to 70% of the overall market. Britain is around 20% I think.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 08:00AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 11, 2021 08:03AM
Rivian should make it, but they’re at the great filter of automobile manufacturing (ramping up production).
Date: November 11, 2021 08:09AM
ztirffritz
Not sure why you think EVs would cause traffic jams.

He provided photographic evidence. What more do you need?

(RollingEyesSmiley5)
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 11, 2021 08:12AM
I've decided to pass on the stock at this time. Tell me when you've made 10,000 vehicles.
Date: November 11, 2021 08:16AM
sekker
Tell me when you've made 10,000 vehicles.

And then the stock is at $1000/share.

I have no doubt they can sell 10,000. And they are making and delivering them now.

Will they be able to successfully ramp up production and meet demand? That's the question now. Looks like they got a nice infusion of capital.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 11, 2021 08:41AM
So you are saying current sentiment is very positive?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 11, 2021 08:58AM
Lux Interior
sekker
Tell me when you've made 10,000 vehicles.

And then the stock is at $1000/share.

I have no doubt they can sell 10,000. And they are making and delivering them now.

Will they be able to successfully ramp up production and meet demand? That's the question now. Looks like they got a nice infusion of capital.

I'm judging them not by whether they make 10,000 - but when.

You can then use that as a simple metric on how long it will likely be for 100,000; then 1,000,000 cars/year.

The current stock price is as if they've made their first million cars.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 11, 2021 09:14AM
Current stock price is as if they've made their first 5million cars. Tesla has grown and been valued as a "first mover". Rivian now has to grow in competition with Tesla. Tesla just had to compete with short sellers.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 11, 2021 09:20AM
Long commutes, not in distance but time and heat. Didn't have time for a full charge. Couldn't find an open charge station. Couldn't afford a full charge because the grid is powered by fossil fuels. Apartment dwellers have to really fend for a charge.

Look at all those vehicles.

Yes we have been promised a charge station on every corner and WiFi too but the reality is tomorrow has not come.

Many charge stations in my area were installed for tax credits but never turned on. I will stop now.

Utility vs value.

People with private jets and Yachts driving the stock price up.

Discontinuance Among California’s Electric Vehicle Buyers: Why are Some Consumers Abandoning Electric Vehicles?

Electric Vehicle Charging: Is It Really Such A Big Problem?

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 11, 2021 09:23AM
You guys realize that photo is a fake, right?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 11, 2021 09:23AM
ztirffritz
Bernie

I think RIVIAN’s ipo is a bit optimistic and ahead of the business but they are well ahead of where Tesla were when they launched. Rivian have been around for 10 years. They’re no longer a “start up”.

Not sure why you think EVs would cause traffic jams. They’re faster than ICE cars, more reliable, more efficient and last almost an order of magnitude longer. At least Teslas do. GM only has two or three data points to draw from(Volt, Bolt, Spark), four if you include the EV1. In a few years Ford will be gone as we know it now. GM will last a little longer. Toyota is all talk so far. They’ve built some hydrogen fuel cell vehicles but that’s a non-starter for consumer use. Of ALL the legacy auto companies, VW is ironically the only one that seems to have a clue about what’s coming and has a slim chance to react fast enough. Herbert Diess is doing everything he can but he’s battling unions, politicians, shareholders, and fellow VW execs. It’s going to be REALLY painful market contractionS for a bit for legacy auto. Most won’t survive. Chinese auto companies will hit our shores in 1-2 years. By then, Tesla will be making more cars than Ford or GM. After that it will be game over for Ford, GM, Chrystellantis, BMW, Mercedes,

Edit: it occurred to me that maybe people in the Midwest don’t see the transition because Teslas are rare there. Teslas are very common in WA, OR, and CA. In Europe, the Model 3 was the most popular car by sales in October. Not most popular “EV” but most popular CAR. Norway has EV sales that are already close to 70% of the overall market. Britain is around 20% I think.

Not according to the Forbes/Consumers Report article, Teslas are at the bottom of reliability while the Chevy Bolt is at the top.
[forums.macresource.com]

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 11, 2021 09:37AM
Stocks only increase in value! There's no such thing as a correction! And certainly no such thing as a recession! Buy now!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 11, 2021 09:38AM
Sam3

Not according to the Forbes/Consumers Report article, Teslas are at the bottom of reliability while the Chevy Bolt is at the top.
[forums.macresource.com]

The same Chevy Bolt that was recalled for catching on fire?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 09:39AM by mikebw.
Date: November 11, 2021 09:46AM
N-OS X-tasy!

Because of all the repeating patterns that make it obvious?

It's as fake as all the concerns that EVs will simultaneously die en masse.

And the funniest part is that it is presented as real by the poster as evidence of what will happen, yet what they present is already happening. So, they either know it's fake and are being dishonest, or they are not too smart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 09:50AM by Lux Interior.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 11, 2021 10:22AM
I believe the traffic jam is due to there being like 1000 K-Cars on the road at the same time.
Posted by: Diana
Date: November 11, 2021 10:56AM
datbeme
I believe the traffic jam is due to there being like 1000 K-Cars on the road at the same time.

Precisely. It doesn’t matter what fuels the cars. It doesn’t matter even if these were cars, or horses, or pedestrians. It’s the sheer number of them on the road *at the same time* that’s the cause.

It doesn’t even matter if the picture is fake or not, congestion like what the picture conveys is real to varying degrees around the country. Sure, rush hour here isn’t as bad as say, Dallas or Houston, but it still extends a normally 20 minute drive to at least 35 minutes and often 45 minutes. It doesn’t sound like much, does it? Doubling the drive time? I live 18 miles from work, so that comes out less than 15 mph (13.5 for those keeping count). And that’s taking the interstate highway; any other route takes longer. Work is situated in an area of town that has been considered as crime ridden for YEARS; I have personally witnessed drug dealing on the corner next to work, so no, I don’t think I want to live nearby. Work has been here for 75 years (or so), affiliated with the university and across the street from the medical school, so no, they ain’t going anywhere.

I shall step down off my soap box now. Thank you for listening. soapbox smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 11, 2021 12:25PM
The EV's we see today are the Model T's, newer models will make the current cutting edge technology a dull knife in the future. The range will increase and charging time will decrease. Tesla opening its charging network will go a long way towards making the ports universal.

Tomorrow's cars are going to be driven by technology, which makes them closer to the computer model instead of the traditional auto model. Will Tesla be Apple, IBM, or Commodore? It is way too early to tell.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 11, 2021 02:26PM
EVs would use very little power when in a traffic jam; mostly for cabin climate control and a radio.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 11, 2021 02:34PM
Lux Interior
N-OS X-tasy!

Because of all the repeating patterns that make it obvious?

Yes, exactly.

For anyone who is interested, that is a doctored photo of the 405 freeway through the Sepulveda Pass in SoCal. The number of lanes in each direction has been doubled.

Not gonna lie, though - there are days when that section of freeway is as packed as it appears in the photo.

It is what it is.
Date: November 11, 2021 02:39PM
Speedy
EVs would use very little power when in a traffic jam; mostly for cabin climate control and a radio.

One of the popular anti-EV memes is similar to the above. It shows a traffic jam in winter and claims that ALL the cars would die if they were EVs, and aren't you an idiot for supporting them!

Model 3 has a 50 kWhr battery. Worst number I could find for an EV's heating system was 8 kW. So it could heat the car for over 6 hours on a full charge.

And that's worst case. If you were constantly cranking 8 kW of heat into a car it would probably be uncomfortably hot. Also, that's resistive heating. Newer EVs have much more efficient heat pumps. Probably closer to 1-2 kW, which it could sustain for a lot longer.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 12, 2021 11:26AM
Plus, when an EV isn't moving, it's not using any power to move.... Whereas an ICE is idling, using gas the whole time. So, If you're talking a 6-7-8 hour gridlock? Gas vehicles, on average, are going to start dying first.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020