advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need advice fast on how to unlock 2002 BMW 325I doors (battery dead and no power when trying to jump)…
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 12, 2021 09:59AM
When I connect the jumper cables, none of the electrical system or accessories turn on inside the car (I’ve jumped this car a few times over there last 15 years). I can open the drivers side door, but from inside the car when I pull the door handles for the other doors, they won’t open. I’ve called the dealer and popalock, and neither of them could do anything about it (of course I could tow it to the dealer and they can look into it). But I’m having the car detailed and clean right now, and I am running into this issue and need it resolved within 30 minutes or so. Any ideas?

[ADDENDUM]
If it's any indicator, the jumper cable got really hot (it's a 2 gauge 20 foot cable made by East Penn that's only 2 years old) and smoke came from the front of the engine area.

[UPDATE]
Problem remains unsolved but urgency is gone (detailing is done).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 11:09AM by Carnos Jax.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need advice fast on how to unlock 2002 BMW 325I doors (battery dead and no power when trying to jump)…
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 12, 2021 10:11AM
Have you checked fuses?
Re: Need advice fast on how to unlock 2002 BMW 325I doors (battery dead and no power when trying to jump)…
Date: November 12, 2021 10:12AM
Yes, they seem to be fine.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 12, 2021 10:17AM
This was all I could find: Apparently those have a central locking fuse that sometimes blows (3:49)-

[www.youtube.com]

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 12, 2021 10:18AM
None of the electrical systems? As in completely dead? If so, it might be the ends of the battery cables that are not attached to the battery.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 12, 2021 10:19AM
Check the battery contact, there is also a very large fuse there. Also check if you have a good ground. This is the kind of work where you could use that multimeter you got a few months ago.
Date: November 12, 2021 10:20AM
Did you just drive it to the detailing place and it died there? Seems like they touched something. There is more to this story that you told us so far.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 12, 2021 10:23AM
[www.fixya.com]
Date: November 12, 2021 10:53AM
Speedy
None of the electrical systems? As in completely dead? If so, it might be the ends of the battery cables that are not attached to the battery.

Correct, if it's any indicator, the jumper cable got really hot (it's a 2 gauge 20 foot cable made by East Penn that's only 2 years old) and smoke came from the front of the engine area.
Date: November 12, 2021 10:54AM
space-time
Check the battery contact, there is also a very large fuse there. Also check if you have a good ground. This is the kind of work where you could use that multimeter you got a few months ago.

Will try, the need has passed though (detail is completed). If it's any indicator, the jumper cable got really hot (it's a 2 gauge 20 foot cable made by East Penn that's only 2 years old) and smoke came from the front of the engine area.

space-time
Did you just drive it to the detailing place and it died there? Seems like they touched something. There is more to this story that you told us so far.

No, it was a mobile detailer.
Date: November 12, 2021 11:01AM
btfc
[www.fixya.com]

My google-foo must have been no good, did not see that.
Date: November 12, 2021 11:02AM
Thank you everyone for your inputs....now that the detailing is done, I'm going to de-prioritize this matter. Maybe deal with it next year.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 12, 2021 11:03AM
Did the detailer spray the engine bay with water to clean it? If so, sound like something got wet inside causing a short.
Date: November 12, 2021 11:04AM
Forrest
Did the detailer spray the engine bay with water to clean it? If so, sound like something got wet inside causing a short.

I believe he did, but figured he knew what he was doing. However, the problem occurred before he even arrived (I was trying to get all the doors open and ready for him).
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 12, 2021 11:15AM
Gee, I'd be kinda worried about smoke.....
Date: November 12, 2021 11:16AM
Yup, can't imagine what that's gonna cost.
Date: November 12, 2021 11:44AM
You got a serious short.

Now some of these cars have the terminals reversed, you did pay attention to polarity, correct? Didn’t just assume left-right is good enough.
Date: November 12, 2021 11:46AM
And this is why one should wear protective equipment when doing things like these. Safety goggles and some gloves at the least.
Date: November 12, 2021 11:46AM
Correct, even though I’ve done this operation a few times over the years, I still break out the book every time I jump start.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 12, 2021 12:11PM
ah... releasing the Magic Smoke is a sure sign that something has completely and utterly failed. Hopefully it's just the fusible link in the battery cable, but... it's a really bad sign.

I'm curious why you would detail a vehicle that you don't drive ?
Date: November 12, 2021 12:13PM
Could be a short inside the battery.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 12, 2021 12:16PM
As my father would say -- electrical probs -- FIRST step check battery and connectors first. Make sure they are clean, tight, no crud.

And maybe a nice portable battery jumper should be on your xmas list... we have one in every car. =)

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 12, 2021 12:44PM
Carnos Jax
I can open the drivers side door, but from inside the car when I pull the door handles for the other doors, they won’t open.

This part doesn't make sense to me. I have a 2001 325i (Wagon) that does have a short in the rear hatch wiring which causes 2 fuses to blow every time the trunk was opened. These fuses controlled the power door locks, power windows, windshield wipers.

However, I was always able to manually open the doors from the inside as power has nothing to do the ability to open the doors. Driver's door can be unlocked manually from the key. Then I reach behind and open the rear door, which might require a double pull on the handle. Once to unlock the door, and then again to open. Offhand, I can't recall if the front passenger door might be a problem or if the same procedure works on it as well.
Date: November 12, 2021 01:00PM
cbelt3
I'm curious why you would detail a vehicle that you don't drive ?

Getting ready to sell it.
Date: November 12, 2021 01:02PM
Gareth
Carnos Jax
I can open the drivers side door, but from inside the car when I pull the door handles for the other doors, they won’t open.

This part doesn't make sense to me. I have a 2001 325i (Wagon) that does have a short in the rear hatch wiring which causes 2 fuses to blow every time the trunk was opened. These fuses controlled the power door locks, power windows, windshield wipers.

However, I was always able to manually open the doors from the inside as power has nothing to do the ability to open the doors. Driver's door can be unlocked manually from the key. Then I reach behind and open the rear door, which might require a double pull on the handle. Once to unlock the door, and then again to open. Offhand, I can't recall if the front passenger door might be a problem or if the same procedure works on it as well.

Yes, kind of surprised me too. I pulled multiple times on all the other indoor door handles to no avail. I wonder what would happen in an accident and the power is all out or something. How can anyone open the door?
Date: November 12, 2021 01:08PM
Is there a separate knob to unlock the door first?
Date: November 12, 2021 01:14PM
space-time
Is there a separate knob to unlock the door first?

Kind of, but you can’t pull on it as it is completely recessed in the locked position. This is a ridiculous problem to have!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 12, 2021 02:17PM
Carnos Jax
I wonder what would happen in an accident and the power is all out or something. How can anyone open the door?

I think there's just something wonky/wrong with your car. Because now that I think about it, I've pulled my battery and still been able to get into the car manually. Battery is in the trunk and the rear hatch (wagon) is something I've never been able to figure out how to open without power, so when I pulled the battery to swap it out at AutoZone (then locked and closed all the doors), I then had to open the driver's door and then the back door with the procedure I mentioned above, all without power, then climb into the trunk area to put in the new battery.
Date: November 12, 2021 03:51PM
space-time
You got a serious short.

agree smiley

Posted by: GGD
Date: November 12, 2021 05:36PM
Speedy
space-time
You got a serious short.

agree smiley

Or based on the smoke and lack of power, "HAD" a serious short.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 12, 2021 05:57PM
Carnos Jax
Gareth
Carnos Jax

Yes, kind of surprised me too. I pulled multiple times on all the other indoor door handles to no avail. I wonder what would happen in an accident and the power is all out or something. How can anyone open the door?

I had the same thought as Gareth. I had a 1996 328Ci and now have a 2006 330Ci. Although there are no rear doors, the passenger door is totally manual...pull once to unlock, once more to open. I doubt that it would be legal for the automakers to sell a car where power was required to open the doors for the inside. That would mean that in a crash where the battery became disconnected or shorted (not unusual) everybody would die because they would be trapped inside when the car caught fire.

The only thing I can think of is that someone messed with the car...i.e. pulled the door panels to install speakers and then never bothered to reconnect the interior door latch mechanism cables.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 06:00PM by davester.
Date: November 12, 2021 06:02PM
What can I say, multiple people have now tried it with no luck. Totally agree about the accident scenario, as I’ve noted above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 06:02PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: November 12, 2021 08:00PM
“I doubt that it would be legal for the automakers to sell a car where power was required to open the doors for the inside.”

My Cadillac ELR’s doors open from the inside by pushing a button that acts as a switch - as far as I know, strictly electrical.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 13, 2021 02:45AM
Or based on the smoke and lack of power, "HAD" a serious short.

This, maybe.

Jumper cables should not get hot except with prolonged attempts to start the victim car when the starter spins, especially with large gauge cables.

So if the cables are still getting hot with all the other circuits dead, you've still got a major short.

And I'd guess the battery cable connectors and terminals are reasonably clean and tight.

The battery may have herniated and it itself is a dead short.

I'd disconnect the positive cable and connect the jumper cables to the car's battery cable connectors, and without trying to start the car, see if you get any electrics' signs of life.

If not, then I'd check for fusible links, which basically function as high current fuses.

A service manual would work well in that situation.

So would the innerwebs and YouTube.

The magic smoke getting out is never a good thing, but it might have been wiring insulation getting hot and smoking.

The down side of that is the insulation may have burned bad enough that now there is another short somewhere.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 13, 2021 06:53PM
please post a follow up once you get to the bottom of this. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020