advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Want to install GFCI in kitchen close to breaker box to “activate” downstream receptacles
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 12, 2021 05:11PM
I’m pretty sure downstream receptacles will then work. But how can I tell which one is closest to the breaker box except looking at them “geographically.” There is one that looks closest and I would bet money it is, but I’m not sure. I am unable to get in the attic and probably couldn’t figure it out if I could. Doing it right would affect three receptacles on the counter and one under the sink.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Want to install GFCI in kitchen close to breaker box to “activate” downstream receptacles
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 12, 2021 05:27PM
FWIW, you can buy a GFCI tester that will trip the GFCI. You can test the downstream ones with it. But that would only work once you've installed one.
Re: Want to install GFCI in kitchen close to breaker box to “activate” downstream receptacles
Posted by: davester
Date: November 12, 2021 05:50PM
Trial and error. Pull the suspected upstream receptacle, determine which wires are live using a VOM. Disconnect the live wires, put wirenuts on them, then turn the breaker back on. If all the downstream receptacles are dead then you guessed right. If not, wash, rinse, repeat.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: November 12, 2021 06:01PM
Genius!
Date: November 12, 2021 06:06PM
Dennis S
Genius!

...or, intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: November 12, 2021 06:13PM
davester
Dennis S
Genius!

By not accepting the genius compliment you make me look like a dumbass.
Date: November 13, 2021 02:26AM
Dennis S
davester
Dennis S
Genius!

ius.

Sorry, that wasn't my intent. Yes, I'm a genius.

Date: November 13, 2021 02:52AM
davester
Dennis S
davester
Dennis S
Genius!

ius.

Sorry, that wasn't my intent. Yes, I'm a genius.

There.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020