advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another M1 Pro test I can bite into... base 14" stressed
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 12, 2021 06:01PM
Same OT guy as before, sorry. No benchmarks to bore u with.

This is the base $1999 with the detuned 8/14 M1P chip vs the 10/16 in the base 16". So base 16" might even have slightly quicker times. Basically takes many of the same tests they threw at the 32 GB and 64 GB M1Ms I recently posted and stresses it pretty hard.

All current MBPs are $100- $150 off at adorama, so worth a look if you are buying.

Web, LR, PS, some video -- runs them all and then starts exporting images, rendering video, surfing the web (not enough tabs IMHO) -- blows thru the 16 GB ram and uses near 15 GB of swap -- but the efficiency and speed of the ram + super fast SSD contribute to make it a non issue.

Even with my heavy web and graphics (zero video) workflow, it looks like 16 GB of ram would perform as good as or even better than the 32 GB in my old a$$ 2014 27" iMac.

Still hard to not think the "intel" way and more more more ram. Im sure I posted here and said as much before the M1 came out. Im wrong.

I need to somehow convince my basic clients that 16 GB is plenty.

EDIT: this a test vs new surface studio, which is irrelevant... but it does show the power of the MBP battery life, even the 14". Had to plug the surface in @ 20% or it throttles... MBP was still 70% battery.

EDIT EDIT: It seems as tho 99.9% of PC video reviews *only* focus on gaming... period? Same with monitor reviews, like at rtings. Monitors get knocked for lacking during "gaming". Im not a gamer... so maybe that's why it seems off.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 08:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another M1 Pro test I can bite into... base 14" stressed
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 12, 2021 07:38PM
Wow!
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: November 13, 2021 11:43AM
I got the base 14" 16 GB MBP and while I don't really do anything taxing, it totally blows away my 2017 i7 iMac with 40 GB of RAM in handling my huge photos library.

For the moment, I've got the new MBP set up with 2 external displays and the iMac has been relegated to a corner awaiting a post on Craigslist.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 13, 2021 01:35PM
bhaveshp
I got the base 14" 16 GB MBP and while I don't really do anything taxing, it totally blows away my 2017 i7 iMac with 40 GB of RAM in handling my huge photos library.

For the moment, I've got the new MBP set up with 2 external displays and the iMac has been relegated to a corner awaiting a post on Craigslist.

Leader!

that's awesome... so cant wait for the new larger iMacs...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020