advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm hanging in there with 'Foundation' - not really sure why
Posted by: hal
Date: November 14, 2021 04:53PM
I remember LOVING the Foundation series, but the last time I read through it all, I was still in my 20s. I don't remember a lot of detail. Seeing the TV show didn't jar many memories so I sat down with the audiobook this weekend to give it a re-listen.

No wonder the TV wasn't sounding familiar. It has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the books. The place names and character names are pretty much all the two have in common.

Nevertheless, I kinda like the characters, the look and the mood of the show. Each episode has pretty much held my interest, but it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere overall and I'm 9 episodes into a 10 episode season.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't have a lot of incentive to watch the finale. If it's unsatisfying, then I'll be unsatisfied. If it's great, it will be a great cliffhanger and I'll be unsatisfied. I guess I will wait for next season and watch this finale then. Or maybe I'll just lose all interest altogether.

ANyone else hanging in there or loving it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm hanging in there with 'Foundation' - not really sure why
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 14, 2021 05:08PM
We have been enjoying the new TV series. Just know that it is NOT the same as the books, and you are well.

I ran into one such circumstance - and I just had to let it go.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 14, 2021 05:51PM
Some of the short stories were good, but I never thought of the Foundation series as being especially good. It's very dry writing with little characterization.

So, departing from the original material is fine with me.

Nevertheless, the plot holes in this thing are humongous and annoying.

But the digital scenery is pretty, and it's not wholly without some good moments if you can forget the stupid storylines that brought them to those places.

I'll keep watching.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 14, 2021 06:08PM
OOF! I guess choosing to go the Dune route and do it right, or the STD route and @#$%& on everything the name stands for... I guess I should not be surprised.

I guess it does not bode well for my dreams of a Larry Niven's Known Space TV show, with one season per novel!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 14, 2021 06:35PM
Rolando
I guess it does not bode well for my dreams of a Larry Niven's Known Space TV show, with one season per novel!

Man-Kzin Wars is open-world with a lot to draw from. It could make a good series.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 14, 2021 07:00PM
Agreed.

That said, my kingdom for a Bujold series!

Sarcany
Rolando

Man-Kzin Wars is open-world with a lot to draw from. It could make a good series.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 15, 2021 11:51AM
After a few decades of it being on my "to read" list, I finally made it through Foundation earlier this year, just to get ready for the TV series. Now you tell me it has little/nothing in common with the book. Oh well. I guess I won't read the other books, as I did not find the first very interesting. Now I'm wondering if I should bother with the TV show or if I'll be pleasantly surprised since it is not like the book.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020