advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Should I keep and install this Ring Alarm?
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 15, 2021 10:00AM
I bought the Ring Alarm kit from Costco about a month ago. On sale $229 - $70. I have a ring camera, and I have Echo 5, and Amazon Echo 8, etc.

Does anyone have the Ring Alarm kit, and do they like it, and is it useful?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Should I keep and install this Ring Alarm?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 15, 2021 10:24AM
I wouldn’t. I’d also remove the Amazon Echo from my home.

This guy comes off sounding a little, ok, a lot paranoid…but nothing he says is untrue. I bought a ring doorbell and I haven’t taken it out of the box yet.

[youtu.be]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 15, 2021 10:42AM
i’m very happy with my Ring alarm system. had it about a year now.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 15, 2021 10:52AM
ztirffritz
I wouldn’t. I’d also remove the Amazon Echo from my home.

This guy comes off sounding a little, ok, a lot paranoid…but nothing he says is untrue. I bought a ring doorbell and I haven’t taken it out of the box yet.

[youtu.be]

Several things he says are untrue:
1. The echo isn't constantly sending audio to the cloud. The wakeup word is processed on the device, not the cloud. [d1.awsstatic.com]
2. Police do not have full access to Ring video as easily as he describes [techcrunch.com]
3. The devices can't send data to Amazon without internet access.

Those were from the first 11 minutes. I didn't watch the rest. I disabled Sidewalk a while back, so I don't care about his concerns about that. He puts an emphasis early on in that an echo is just a dumb computer and all the processing happens on the cloud. Then he says these devices could all communicate with each other with their own radios and not need the internet. It's a tangled web of misinformation he's weaving.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2021 11:05AM by M A V I C.
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 15, 2021 11:08AM
Yes, I turned off or never engaged the "Sidewalk" aspect of Amazon Echo devices. I find it unnecessary. And all of the Echo Cameras have switch in the RED position.

But might give the Ring Alarm, thing a try, but I am not paying a monthly fee for anything.
Date: November 15, 2021 12:23PM
Microman

But might give the Ring Alarm, thing a try, but I am not paying a monthly fee for anything.

everyone’s needs are different. An alarm system without monitoring is pointless for me. $100 yearly that covers monitoring and unlimited number of Ring devices and cameras is money well spent for me.

I have a number of Echo devices. i also deactivated Sidewalk.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 15, 2021 12:48PM
ztirffritz

At the end did he say I didn't get vax cause of the microchip in it? ;)

Ring came with our house... never even activated it. Its dead quiet here. we rarely even lock our front door, except at night.

Ive got a simply safe system with a dozen sensors and what not still in the box, need to put it on FSFI.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 15, 2021 01:13PM
Graylocks,

Gotta disagree with your assessment that an alarm system without monitoring is pointless. A Ring alarm system is always monitoring even if you don't have Central Station service. If you want many of the benefits of the system without the cost of Central Station, configure the Ring system to notify you anytime a sensor is tripped. For many, especially those who live in a quiet, generally safe area, that is sufficient.

That doesn't work for me, even though I live in a quiet, generally safe area. I subscribe to Central Station for the alarm services. The included storage for video footage a bonus. I give the alarm system certificate to my homeowner's insurance provider and get a reduction on the premium. It is nearly enough to offset the cost of the Central Station monitoring, making it even more cost effective.

Could I get by without Central Station and rely on just the notifications from the system? Sure. I could, but that isn't my prerogative.

Robert
Date: November 15, 2021 01:26PM
Robert M
Graylocks,

Gotta disagree with your assessment that an alarm system without monitoring is pointless.
Robert

I specifically said it was pointless FOR ME.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 15, 2021 01:34PM
Graylocks,

I understood that and still disagree with your statement. Although you state that everyone's needs are different, there is a feel in your post that implies to me that an alarm without Central Station monitoring isn't worthwhile for other people.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2021 02:56PM by Robert M.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 15, 2021 04:21PM

Posted by: sekker
Date: November 15, 2021 06:45PM
I'm amazed that on this well-informed board that such clearly poorly researched information on technology is being shared.

I can understand why someone would not want an Echo. And there are legitimate issues with Ring systems.

'Sidewallk' was also a terrible mistake on Amazon's part.

But the issue of 'listening' applies to every single smartphone, too.

So separating these questions here is important.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020