advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
There's a crashed car in front of my home - how long before I should complain?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 17, 2021 03:43PM
Poll
There's a busted car in front of my house, when should I complain?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
32 votes were received.
1 day 15

47%
2 days 4

13%
3 days 4

13%
4 days 0

0%
5 days 0

0%
6 days 0

0%
7 days 6

19%
8 days 0

0%
9 days 0

0%
10 days 0

0%
Don't complain - why are you being so picky? 3

8%

There was a car accident in front of our house a few days ago. One car was taken away within a day or two but the other car is still there a number of days later. Its a Lexus sedan and it took a pretty good blow to the front but the air bags didn't go off. A police officer came and took a look shortly before the other car was taken away.

When should I complain?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: There's a crashed car in front of my home - how long before I should complain?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 17, 2021 03:50PM
Of course we should lead that we hope everyone is OK...

I'd say now, but depending on parking on your street things might not be so urgent.
Re: There's a crashed car in front of my home - how long before I should complain?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 17, 2021 03:54PM
Should have been towed away in short order.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 17, 2021 03:56PM
Maybe its at the owners house?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 17, 2021 04:04PM
How are the tires? I could use a set.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 17, 2021 04:11PM
macphanatic
Should have been towed away in short order.

That's what I was thinking. Every accident I've witnessed/or been involved in here in MI the police who are in charge of the scene calls in the tow truck if the vehicle cannot be driven.

I've never heard of a car that's been in an accident remaining on the street for more than a day.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 17, 2021 04:13PM
If the owner is a neighbor, he/she is probably waiting for the insurance co. to take a look.
Date: November 17, 2021 04:13PM
If'n it were stolen, and the driver fled the scene, they would not want to come back for it.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 17, 2021 04:33PM
Since a cop already checked it out, I presume they ran the plates to see if it was stolen. I'd wait a week as long as it's not blocking the road or anything. Sometimes people don't have the cash or time to deal with it swiftly. And if someone financially can't deal with it swiftly, having to deal with it being impounded won't make anything easier.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: d4
Date: November 17, 2021 04:48PM
mrbigstuff
If the owner is a neighbor, he/she is probably waiting for the insurance co. to take a look.

Yeah. It's probably a neighbor's. If not next door, close enough. Down the block maybe? Leaving the wreck in front of your house is better than in front of theirs. thumbs up

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 17, 2021 05:19PM
Call the cops.

Usually, a PD or SO is in charge of abandoned vehicle abatement.

Around here, 72hrs is the limit for a car parked on the street.

Neighbor or not, it shouldn't be on the street.

Unless you've seen the car in the neighborhood before, no reason to assume it's the neighbors.

If it was stolen, it would have been towed within a day or so.

Call the cops.

They can give you a little info, as in maybe the driver was hospitalized, but with no airbag deployment, that doesn't seem likely.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 17, 2021 05:23PM
Neighbor or not, it shouldn't be on the street.

Why not?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 17, 2021 05:33PM
M A V I C
Since a cop already checked it out, I presume they ran the plates to see if it was stolen. I'd wait a week as long as it's not blocking the road or anything. Sometimes people don't have the cash or time to deal with it swiftly. And if someone financially can't deal with it swiftly, having to deal with it being impounded won't make anything easier.

^ This is it. They're at work or trying to make arrangements, that's all.

But you should still steal the rims and tires; it's the American Way.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 17, 2021 05:34PM
Call the police and ask about it. They may be aware of the situation, but in case it was overlooked, then you made them aware.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 17, 2021 06:24PM
I would call and report it. They will mark the car and then will tow it whenever it hits the max number of hours before it can be moved.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 17, 2021 07:33PM
deckeda
M A V I C

But you should still steal the rims and tires; it's the American Way.

Or at least cut out the cat, that's where the real money is.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 17, 2021 08:32PM
Yeah, call the police non emergency number and just ask for a call back….

“Hey there is a busted car in front of my house and it’s kind of blocking access to the (street, ditch, tree lawn, etc). Is there anything I can do to help get it towed away ?
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 17, 2021 08:50PM
Years ago a guy rear-ended and totaled my truck. He was uninsured and I fortunately had uninsured motorist insurance. The truck was barely driveable and my insurance adjuster came to the house to see/total/get the pink slip/pay me for it. We have a couple of hundred yards of empty lots across the street from us and the adjuster asked if I would just park the truck off the road on the grass across the street and they'd have a wrecker come by and get it. It didn't bother anybody there so it wasn't a problem. It took 3 weeks but one day the truck was just gone and a note was dropped in my mailbox that the wrecker had taken it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 17, 2021 09:05PM
We don’t have that problem here this time of year. From Nov. 1 to Apr. 1 there is no overnight street parking for snow removal. That vehicle would be gone in a flash at 1AM.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 18, 2021 01:02AM
deckeda
M A V I C

That's what I was thinking. Not everyone has a pocket full of credit cards or an understanding boss that'll allow them to take care of unexpected problems in an expedient manner.

I've been in similar situations due to blown hoses, broken belts, and fried Toyota igniter modules, and I tried letting the people in front of whose house my car was broken down know what was going on, that it wasn't abandoned, and when I'd be back to get it. Most were very hostile and not understanding at all, with one guy telling me that if it wasn't gone by the morning he'd have it towed... Never mind that it was in a public street parking place and not blocking anything. Had I said nothing, I imagine most of the hostile people would've assumed it was just someone visiting a neighbor and thought nothing more of it.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2021 01:07AM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 18, 2021 04:46AM
You are here in Michigan.

The owner probably didn't have proper Insurance if any insurance at all because our rates are so high, no claim or recovery so no rush to get it taken care of.

Probably has to walk away from a total loss and eat it. Why should the owner incur more costs and have it towed to a junk or scrap yard?

It will work itself out - lol
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 18, 2021 08:05AM
ArtP
You are here in Michigan.

Pfft! I'm in Wisconsin!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020