advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The problem with M1 Macs...
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 17, 2021 08:18PM
... is that I no longer find older machines appealing.

This really is a first for me. My initial (and awesome) Mac was an SE I built from 4 different scrapped machines.

Over the years, I've assembled all sorts of machines, typically repurposing my work Macs 3 or 4 times before they sat on a shelf before going to the recycler.

And I was happy to purchase used Macs over the years, including my daughter's used MBPR13 (we purchased the last model with the full mechanical trackpad).

But now - I have Intel Macs people don't want. The 2016-era laptops without ports are frustrating for many to use (#donglelife is not popular, despite my offering a free nice USBC hub for every machine), and the 'advances' in 2017-2019 time-period was almost always performance at the cost of battery life. In general, those with 2012-2015 era models were happy, but many of those machines have just aged - sticky keys, aged batteries, etc.

In contrast, even a low-end MBA (without fan) is fast AND lasts all day without plugging in. None of those laptops last a day unused - they are requested and beloved.

I'm turning my second Intel Mac into a Windows machine - which is the fate of my last 3 hackintoshes (though one went Mac to LINUX to windows).

With the performance/$$ of M1 Macs at full retail price, I would be hard-pressed to recommend anyone to get an Intel model. Once pandemic-era pricing recedes, I wonder how much resale value will be left in the Intel models.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The problem with M1 Macs...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 17, 2021 08:23PM
For quite a while, this happened very regularly.

I suspect someone is interested in your older machines, just not sure who.

I don't understand why a Mac user would be buying intel right now, thats for sure.

Posted by: space-time
Date: November 17, 2021 08:38PM
I don't understand why a Mac user would be buying intel right now, thats for sure.

maybe these scientists

[www.anaconda.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 17, 2021 09:06PM
space-time
maybe these scientists
[www.anaconda.com]

Interesting article, and I read the whole thing -- and it looked like the conclusion was that M1 macs would work with it just fine?

the article is several months old, they did discuss M1 was an entry level chip, and 16 GB of ram might be insufficient (but that sounds like intel ram on the brain issue) -- and of course this was all before M1P and M1M chips came to market.

Wonder what the new take is on it with more cores and ram.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 17, 2021 10:22PM
Yep. I have a fleet of 2018 MBAs that is going to be rough finding buyers for at a reasonable price.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 17, 2021 10:40PM
One problem with pre-M1 MacBook Airs is that Apple cut corners to make them budget-Macs. Slow CPU/memory/SSDs.

But now even the base MacBook Air has the same CPU/memory/SSD and bus-speed as the 13-inch MacBook Pro which is pretty fast.

I just did a bunch of automated app updates on 2019/2020 MacBook Airs (Intel) and 2020 MacBook Airs (M1). The M1s finished and rebooted in maybe a minute where the Intel MacBook Airs chugged for nearly 10 minutes.

(Also, the boot chimes on the M1 Macs were cleaner.)

...I updated a 16-inch 2019 Intel MacBook Pro and it was just a nudge behind the Airs. But that Mac is probably best compared to a M1 Pro and I haven't had enough hands-on with the new Pro chip yet for a fair test.

Posted by: jonny
Date: November 17, 2021 10:45PM
It amazes me that people are still willing to buy Intel Macs just to save a few hundred bucks. The difference is night and day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2021 10:46PM by jonny.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 18, 2021 04:59AM
jonny
It amazes me that people are still willing to buy Intel Macs just to save a few hundred bucks. The difference is night and day.
Unless they're buying Intel Minis, then they pay more!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 18, 2021 06:26AM
MrNoBody
jonny
Unless they're buying Intel Minis, then they pay more!

A few of us here opined that Apple (for once, nicely) miscalculated and priced these Macs to the point where they would crater sales of ths intel machines.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 18, 2021 06:43AM
Hi everyone,

Some of you seem to forget that people have tangible reasons to stay with Intel Macs. One of the key key reasons is software compatibility. Many apps just don't run under newer versions of the OS and lack viable and/or affordable replacements. Quicken 2007 (whose newer versions still lack features available in their older counterpart), Adobe apps (for people who can't afford to upgrade to the newer versions), specialized and/or custom apps, etc.

My solution for this issue will be to convert one of my Mojave configurations into a virtual machine. It has proven easier said than done. VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox proved unsuccessful. I couldn't even get Mojave installed on their VMs. Kept getting an error that they couldn't find the recovery partition of my machine(s). Not an issue with Parallels. Installed it one one of my machines, installed Mojave and was in business pretty quickly. I'll be buying a non-subscription copy in the near future and putting together a full-scale virtual machine shortly afterwards.

Apple wants everyone to move to newer flavors of the OS and Apple Silicon and for good reason. No doubt that's one of the reasons Apple priced the M1 based machines so competitively. Still, as much as M1 machines are superior to Intel models in so many ways, for many, they aren't going to do the job. There will definitely be a market for Intel machines because of this situation. Or, they'll have to do what I'm going to do. Move to an M1 and then run an older system as a virtual machine.

Robert
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 18, 2021 07:24AM
Robert -

Apple gave people over a decade to build 64bit apps. I’ve already managed that transition albeit with a few losses.

There isn’t a single program that I can think of in my portfolio that runs on Intel 64bit and not on my M1 machines. Apple did a great job with Rosetta2 and keeping Big Sur backward compatible with Catalina (the look and feel? Totally crappy IMHO but that’s a different issue entirely!)

I find this transition entirely different than the others I lived through- PPC and then Intel.

The M1 macs are just compelling.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 18, 2021 08:10AM
mattkime
For quite a while, this happened very regularly.

I suspect someone is interested in your older machines, just not sure who.

One could install ChromeOS and essentially turn an Intel mac into a ChromeBook. For what that's worth.
Posted by: August West
Date: November 18, 2021 08:27AM

Some of you seem to forget that people have tangible reasons to stay with Intel Macs.

But why would these people be buying new Intel machines from Apple, shouldn't they seek an alternative to purchasing a new unit?

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: November 18, 2021 08:35AM
Sekker,

In your portfolio. Not everyone uses the apps that you have in your portfolio. I know Apple gave developers a decade to transition, sure. The problem is some developers just didn't do it and/or, if they did, cut features out of programs that are important parts of people's workflow. So, they can't move to newer versions.

For people in this situation, an Intel machine that can run 32 bit apps is still a critical product. I'm in this situation. That's why I'm moving one of my systems to a virtual machine. It'll be a scaled back system just for a few specific functions. I'm fortunate that I can do it. Other people lack the luxury.

Robert
Date: November 18, 2021 08:38AM
August,

I prefer to buy hardware from reputable vendors, preferably with an Apple warranty. It's a preference. Apple (or an authorized reseller) is best for this. That's why I have 2 qty top of the line 2019 iMac 5K models. The opportunity to get them from Apple appeared and I snapped them up when I had the chance. Will I go elsewhere if I must? Sure. It isn't preferable, though. Fortunately, with a virtual machine in place, an Intel machine will no longer be a necessity. I'll keep one around as a backup, though.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020