advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Windows Migration Assistant - for existing user account on Mac?
Posted by: BobC
Date: November 17, 2021 09:59PM
My kid just got a MacBook Air, after using a Windows laptop for a few years. (Yeah, yeah, it was her mom's earlier decision.) I'd read up on using Windows Migration Assistant to move a user account onto a Mac, but I can't tell whether you're supposed to create the user account on the destination Mac first (which she did), or whether it's intended to create a new user via the process.

Rather than forging ahead and hoping I don't screw things up, I figured that asking here might enlighten me. I'd be glad to get any advice on this.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Windows Migration Assistant - for existing user account on Mac?
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 18, 2021 10:57AM
I believe that a new user will be created using the same name and password as on the PC.

Should be pretty easy to transfer any needed files into the user that she created on the Mac.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 18, 2021 12:58PM
Don’t create a user, let Migration Assistant do it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: BobC
Date: November 18, 2021 01:11PM
Thanks. I finally read all the way to the last footnote on Apple's page about WMA (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087) and see that it says "Each time you migrate, your Mac creates a new user account.". Oops.

I ended up looking over the files on her Windows account, and it was a simple enough situation that I could just copy the Docs, Downloads, Pictures, and Movies contents to an external SSD, then drop those files into the corresponding folders on her new Mac account.

Next time, though, I'll know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020