AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dopesick, with Michael Keaton. Best TV series in a while
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: November 18, 2021 08:28AM
Only on Hulu currently, so good luck.

One of those important-to-watch series.

[www.youtube.com]

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Monterey 12.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dopesick, with Michael Keaton. Best TV series in a while
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 18, 2021 11:22AM
i finished it up last night and found it very worthwhile though the jumping around on a timeline made things a bit jumbled for me.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: November 18, 2021 11:30AM
graylocks
i finished it up last night and found it very worthwhile though the jumping around on a timeline made things a bit jumbled for me.

Oh, same here! Both my wife and I commented how confusing the sliding dateline made it. Still, a powerful story, and one many people went through.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Monterey 12.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: November 18, 2021 12:06PM
I thought the series was great. Infuriating story, but worth a watch.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 18, 2021 12:34PM
I really enjoyed the first season. I expect I'll be dropping hulu when they raise the price soon. I believe that most (all?) modern businesses operate in much the same manner.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 18, 2021 01:40PM
prymsnap
I thought the series was great. Infuriating story, but worth a watch.

Well put. Watched the first season last week, not knowing it might be the only season. Sure hope not. Keaton is great. And I was wondering why that @#$%& of a Pharma Rep looked familiar 'til i saw her name in the credits.
Date: November 18, 2021 03:04PM
testcase
I expect I'll be dropping hulu when they raise the price soon. I believe that most (all?) modern businesses operate in much the same manner.

which is why i subscribe strategically for most services. Right now I'm on a second month of Apple TV but will be caught up by my renewal date in Dec so i'll unsub. I resub to Disney+ when the Mandalorian is fully out. little extra work but saves spending money on things i don't really use.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: November 18, 2021 03:23PM
graylocks
which is why i subscribe strategically for most services. ...

Was just thinking about this. The latest Matrix comes out December 22 on HBOMax (and in theaters), and while the theater idea is nice, we may want to just watch it here at home, so while I've never used a service for just one month before, it may make sense to get HBOMax for approx $16/month for just that one month, then cancel.

Posted by: Michael
Date: November 18, 2021 04:08PM
testcase
I really enjoyed the first season. I expect I'll be dropping hulu when they raise the price soon. I believe that most (all?) modern businesses operate in much the same manner.

The last 2 years Hulu had a $1.99 a month deal for a year on Black Friday. I subscribed with my primary email 2 years ago and then cancelled the day before it increased to the regular price. Last year I subscribed with an alternative email. I'll cancel next week and hope they'll do it again.
Date: November 18, 2021 04:38PM
tuqqer

Was just thinking about this. The latest Matrix comes out December 22 on HBOMax (and in theaters), and while the theater idea is nice, we may want to just watch it here at home, so while I've never used a service for just one month before, it may make sense to get HBOMax for approx $16/month for just that one month, then cancel.

When doing HBOMax be sure to sign on to them directly and not as a Hulu add-on. When an add-on it's crippled you DON'T get the latest movie release. Found this out when my son wanted to see some new movie that was doing the hybrid theater/streaming release thing. I had to unsub from the Hulu add-on and then sign up directly for him to see it.

Posted by: Maddog
Date: November 18, 2021 05:08PM
Plus you get to watch Dune if you get the HBO max.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 18, 2021 07:28PM
Maddog

We saw Dune in a wide screen theater last week, I don't think it will travel well to a TV screen.
Posted by: dk62
Date: November 19, 2021 09:18AM
RgrF
Maddog

We saw Dune in a wide screen theater last week, I don't think it will travel well to a TV screen.

Agree. I watched it on my home 100" projection screen and still wished the screen were bigger.
Date: November 19, 2021 09:30AM
dk62
Agree. I watched it on my home 100" projection screen and still wished the screen were bigger.

Dang, dk62 ! Would love to see a pic of that setup. 100" is huge.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 19, 2021 09:50AM
Michael
testcase

The last 2 years Hulu had a $1.99 a month deal for a year on Black Friday. I subscribed with my primary email 2 years ago and then cancelled the day before it increased to the regular price. Last year I subscribed with an alternative email. I'll cancel next week and hope they'll do it again.

I did the same, but paid for a couple months in between before finding the 1.99 deal, so I'll need to check when mine expires. I wonder if it would take if I went back to my original email/login. I'm fine setting up burner emails, but I don't want it to get too complicated.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 19, 2021 09:59AM
graylocks
tuqqer

When doing HBOMax be sure to sign on to them directly and not as a Hulu add-on. When an add-on it's crippled you DON'T get the latest movie release. Found this out when my son wanted to see some new movie that was doing the hybrid theater/streaming release thing. I had to unsub from the Hulu add-on and then sign up directly for him to see it.

These add ons infuriate me. Wish I could disable them. I'm an HBO subscriber (well...free through AT&T wireless), and once I once accidentally subscribed for 2 months through Hulu. Not sure how it happened. Perhaps one of my kids clicked the wrong thing from within the Hulu app, but it very well could have been me if I wasn't paying attention. I think Hulu refunded one of the two months, but it was a pain.

Apple TV isn't really any different, but it would be harder to make an accidental purchase when you have to enter a password or confirm on your device. Still, I've searched for things using the voice remote and was only offered paid options for things that were available for free in one of my streaming apps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 10:01AM by datbeme.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 19, 2021 02:09PM
RgrF
Maddog

Every review I've seen for Dune advises the reader to see it in a theater with the biggest screen and loudest sound system possible.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020