advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dental-related question
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 19, 2021 02:52PM
I have a tooth all the way at the back of my mouth that grew in crooked and periodically gives me trouble by irritating my cheek.

I have a big flare up now. There is a tack-sharp point now sticking into my cheek (which probably means the tooth is decaying and needs to be pulled). There's a little continual pain but chewing (on either side) hurts so much I can hardly eat. Of course it happens late on a Thursday when all the dentists are closed for the weekend.

I was in the pharmacy section of the store last night and noticed orthodontic wax, used to smooth rough surfaces of braces that are irritating the cheek or lips. I could try that.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any dental-related doohickey that would be more substantial than wax to keep that pointy part of my tooth from sticking into my cheek and give it a chance to heal.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dental-related question
Posted by: rz
Date: November 19, 2021 03:22PM
You could get one of those mouth guards that football players wear, but I imagine it would be uncomfortable to wear all day.

I have a sort of "snap in" appliance I wear at night that I got from my dentist that keeps me from grinding my teeth. I got used to it pretty quick. I wear it all night and take it out in the morning. But it was custom molded to my teeth and took a few weeks to come in.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 19, 2021 03:22PM
You could put some this onto the tooth, but the wax should work fine and be easier to remove and probably smoother on your cheek. I used wax over the nub of a tooth to protect it, after a crown came off, till I got the crown put back. It worked very well.
I have used the DenTek to fill in a tooth when I broke off a tooth.
Yes, I have had lots of dental issues. Lol.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: November 19, 2021 03:28PM
rgG
You could put some this onto the tooth, but the wax should work fine and be easier to remove and probably smoother on your cheek. I used wax over the nub of a tooth to protect it, after a crown came off, till I got the crown put back. It worked very well.
I have used the DenTek to fill in a tooth when I broke off a tooth.
Yes, I have had lots of dental issues. Lol.

Thanks.

So you definitely went for the Value Size?! grinning smiley

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 19, 2021 03:31PM
I got braces in June and use wax as needed. It works very well except that it tends to come off when eating. Try wrapping the wax over the top and on both sides of your tooth, mashing it in between the adjacent tooth and it should stay while you eat. Obviously best to chew on the opposite side from the wax. Once you are done eating you can remove the gob of wax and place a much smaller piece over the rough part.

It’s late now but most dentists will squeeze you in for the few minutes it will take to run a burr over the roughness. Then schedule an evaluation at another time. My dentist has Saturday morning hours so give yours a try.

I use an alcohol based mouthwash (Scope) when I get an irritation from my braces as needed which helps a lot with irritation.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 03:34PM by Speedy.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 19, 2021 04:44PM
AllGold

So you definitely went for the Value Size?! grinning smiley

Lol. I didn’t get the big size, but that was the first pic that came up. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DP
Date: November 20, 2021 06:30AM
This may not be for everybody but I broke a tooth which left a sharp edge and I just took a nail file and filed down the sharpness...

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: November 21, 2021 04:35PM
Speedy
My dentist has Saturday morning hours so give yours a try.

The problem with that is I don't have a dentist. I haven't been to a dentist since--and I'm not exaggerating--1995.

DP, filing it down myself definitely crossed my mind, but it's way, way in the back and I couldn't get to it myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020