advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
speaking of soap...
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 20, 2021 06:38PM
Care to recommend a soap other than Dove that won't dry out my skin? On my dermatologist's suggestion, I tried Dove (both regular and Unscented for Sensitive Skin) and my nose started acting up shortly thereafter, sneezing, etc. I've since gone back to my Yardley English Lavender, and while I'm not sneezing so much anymore, I'm sure there are probably better options to help with my dry skin, especially as we start using our forced air heat more frequently now.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: speaking of soap...
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 20, 2021 08:29PM
Dr. Bonner’s?
Posted by: Golfer
Date: November 20, 2021 08:29PM
I like Irish Spring's Moisture Blast in the winter for reducing scaliness.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: November 20, 2021 09:04PM
I find Dr. Bronner's to be drying. Your best bet is to find a good*, local** soapmaker and buy from her/him; they should be able to suggest which of their bars would be best for you. It's best if they sell small sample packs, as you may need to try a few different formulas to find the one that suits your skin and household water best.

There are many online makers who sell wonderful soaps, if you don't mind paying a bit more.

I take my own handmade soap to work to use in the rest room, as the liquid stuff they provide makes eczema flare up on my hands.

* Caution — there are a lot of soapmakers out there and not all of them make good stuff!

** Often found at farmer's markets and craft fairs, although check with anyone you know who raises goats for milk and cheese — they often make soap as well, and a goat milk bar is one of my favorites.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 20, 2021 09:20PM
Golfer
I like Irish Spring's Moisture Blast in the winter for reducing scaliness.

This is the one I was going to recommend. Great scent, not too expensive, and feels great on your skin.

Edit, and if the scent is too much for you, the other one I like is this: [www.amazon.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 09:30PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 20, 2021 09:29PM
We recommend Dr. Bronner's organic unscented, it’s the only one we’ve found that doesn’t dry out our skin.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 20, 2021 09:43PM
There may be a shaving soap that fills the bill. There’s a very active shaving community on Reddit called “wicked_edge.”
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 20, 2021 09:45PM
Staying at my aunt's house while on vacation. It felt fantastic!

It was either Oil of Olay soap or Camay. Something out of the last century.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 21, 2021 01:18AM
We use the Costco soap that is similar to Dove. 5% Shea butter, 25% moisturizing cream [www.costco.com]

Now, in the summer, we usually use something "stronger" like an antibacterial or sport type of soap so we don't stink as much. My partner recently had a skin infection and we had to switch to anti bacterial for a while, for example.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 01:24AM by Racer X.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 21, 2021 04:23AM
Racer X
We use the Costco soap that is similar to Dove. 5% Shea butter, 25% moisturizing cream [www.costco.com]

Long time Dove user here. A few years back I tried the Costco version and found it to have a chemical smell. Back to Dove I went.

It is what it is.
Date: November 21, 2021 07:39AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

Long time Dove user here. A few years back I tried the Costco version and found it to have a chemical smell. Back to Dove I went.

I love the smell of drool smileytoluene and Hoppe's #9, so it's just fine with me.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 21, 2021 08:13AM
Wurm,

The problem is that everyone's skin is a bit different. I can recommend a slew of soaps but they may or may not work for you. You have to really try a bunch of bars until you find a set that works for you.

Case in point. I've used Dove over the years. No issue. Ivory, on the other hand, is very drying. Won't go near it. Safeguard wasn't bad. Neither was Lever 2000. Crazy as it sounds, cheap freebie bars Neutrogena that I received in a hotel while on a trip to CA were actually very good. Made sure to grab a bunch of them before returning to NY. That's if you want over the counter drug store/supermarket soap.

Boutique soaps are a different beast entirely. Beekman 1802 soap is very good. Goat's milk. However, it's pricey. My wife get's it when HSN has a sale.

[beekman1802.com]

I'm a fan of Duke Cannon soaps. Big honkin' bars that I cut into smaller pieces with a vertical band saw at my office. Love the soap but it is a touch more drying than other men's boutique brands. Not so much that I won't use them. Definitely has some very cool scents.

I also like soaps from Dr Squatch and the Rad Soap Company. Again, boutique brands.

One thing I do is change soaps regularly. One bar from Duke Cannon. Next bar from Beekman. Next bar might be Dove, Dr Squatch or Rad Soap. I have a large selection and swap around regularly.

I also much prefer bars of soap over liquid. Less wasteful packaging. Just get a good soap dish and keep the soap out of the spray when not using it and they won't melt.

The changing weather has as much of an impact on my skin as soap. As the cool dry weather shows up, I switch soaps to help combat the resulting dryness.

And, unfortunately, some of the extraneous ingredients in the soap contributes to the issue. Even the scent.

Robert
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 21, 2021 09:38AM
Thanks very much, everyone.

Yeah, I think everyone's skins is or reacts a bit differently. I've often wondered about the Pears soap I've seen. I may have to try a bar of that. And while I like(d) the scent of Irish Spring, there was a guy at work whom I could smell from the end of the hall who must have dunked himself in it. As scents go, it wasn't unpleasant, but it was strong. Oil of Olay was another I was thinking about.

Might be worth checking out several options next time I'm at the Dollar Tree.

Thanks again.
Posted by: mspace
Date: November 21, 2021 09:44AM
Both of these are very good and truly not drying.

We use Olive Oil soap from Palestine. A bar lasts a good long while-
[www.ebay.com]

Before that, we used Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap. They had shut down for a while, but are back now. Really liked it, but a bit more expensive than the Palestine one, and doesn't last as long.
[kissmyface.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 21, 2021 09:50AM
I haven't used it in a while, but years ago when I was having skin issues my dermatologist recommended Basis soap. Basis worked for me and I did not find it drying. YMMV
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 21, 2021 10:58PM
Robert M
The problem is that everyone's skin is a bit different. I can recommend a slew of soaps but they may or may not work for you. You have to really try a bunch of bars until you find a set that works for you.

Case in point. I've used Dove over the years. No issue. Ivory, on the other hand, is very drying. Won't go near it. Safeguard wasn't bad. Neither was Lever 2000. Crazy as it sounds, cheap freebie bars Neutrogena that I received in a hotel while on a trip to CA were actually very good. Made sure to grab a bunch of them before returning to NY. That's if you want over the counter drug store/supermarket soap.

LOL:
  • Ivory IS very drying. I used it (briefly) before changing to Dove some thirty-something years ago - the reason I changed is because Ivory dried out my skin way too much. "99 and 44/100 percent pure" means there ain't much but basic soap there.
  • Neutrogena made its name for being super gentle on skin. That's literally what the company's product is famous for.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 22, 2021 06:50AM
Use Ivory and then moisturize the second you are done toweling off. Or, like me, only shower once a week.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 22, 2021 08:00AM
JoeH
I haven't used it in a while, but years ago when I was having skin issues my dermatologist recommended Basis soap. Basis worked for me and I did not find it drying. YMMV

that's the soap I was trying to remember. one of the original no dyes or scents soap. My doc told m,e to use it on my face back in the late '70s for my acne, along with Retin A when it first came out.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020