advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will the still get participation trophies?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 21, 2021 12:34PM
A football team of 7-year-olds and 8-year-olds with a perfect record was kicked out of the playoffs for being “too good,” league officials say.

The Flower Mound Rebels are good, no doubt. They have outscored their opponents 199-6 in the first seven games of the season.

Rhett Taylor, vice president of the Keller Youth Association, said the group’s five-member board decided the Flower Mound team should be ejected from the playoffs – even though they’re the top team.

The Rebels’ coach, Ragan Montero, said Taylor and the Keller Youth Association are trying to change the rules in the middle of the game.

"He's a sore loser. That's all it comes down to,” Montero said. "He's changing the rules so it benefits him."

The Keller Youth Association said the Rebels are still welcome to play their final game this weekend but told them they wouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs – no matter their record.

[www.nbcdfw.com]

Reminds me of my last year as a youth soccer coach. Our team was undefeated and unscored on through the season. About halfway through, the league asked us to let the other teams score and to lose a game or two. We politely declined.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 12:37PM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will the still get participation trophies?
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 21, 2021 01:07PM
Sure, let's start penalizing excellence. I feel a lawsuit is coming. At the very least the knucklehead(s) responsible for this should be banned for unsportsmanlike behavior (unless there's something else not reported is going on. :grrr:turbo naughty smiley
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 21, 2021 02:02PM
A couple of decades ago, we had a Little League (Minor) Fall Ball team of similar aged kids that went undefeated.... the teams were assigned by the league brass, that theoretically knew all the kids. We were the red team, and before the league games started, a swap was arranged with the green team so that the swappees could be with more of their friends....; we gave away a current MLB All Star, MLB no-hitter pitching, MLB team's number one starting pitcher, for a kid that did get a D1 baseball scholarship, but whose parents threw better team parties. The green team lost 3 games. 2 of them to us.

The other teams didn't complain, as most of their coaches were the league brass that made the teams in the first place. The results just provided more info for future years so that the kids could be divvied up in seemingly more equal fashion. Rhett Taylor needs a time out, or a spanking, as may be permitted under local laws.
==
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 21, 2021 02:26PM
199-6

So my question is this: What is the function of Little League sports?
Is it to teach team building?
Good Sportsmanship?

Or to show the other team to eat @#$%&?

Fine. Your team is the best. Declare them the team winner and let the other teams have games.

It really sounds like this team is in the wrong league. Put them in a more competitive league.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 21, 2021 02:55PM
As a former Marine serving at military bases of the other branches from time to time for training, I know how it feels. Monthly Parade for retirements and whatever they would pick the best flight or company in the parade and ..... well the Marines weren't judged I wouldn't know. They stopped including the Marines in the judging because they always won.

Obviously Rolando is right on this one....

"It really sounds like this team is in the wrong league. Put them in a more competitive league."

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 02:56PM by Bernie.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 21, 2021 04:41PM
7-year-olds and 8-year-olds
Ridiculous; what's next, tell them to stay home & play 'Madden'??

...a more competitive league.
Like what; 13-14 year olds, HS Varsity, or maybe the NFL???

banghead smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 21, 2021 05:40PM
There isn't enough information for me to figure out who is right or wrong. Based on the score pf 199-6, the higher scoring team could have chosen to pull starters and use other tactics to run down the clock in a sportsmanlike display. The fact they they decided to hammer this other team show chararcter flaw of the coaches. That being said, if there are no explicit rules or policy against running up the score, arbitrarily barring them from the playoffs seems like retaliation. Unfortunately, it looks like none fo the kids involved will learn anything other than adults not being able to work this out in a manner that allows all the kids to keep playing. It sucks to lose, worse to get hammered, but that's life sometimes. Sometimes the "winners" of blowouts learn nothing and it will affect them later in life.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 21, 2021 06:35PM
My former stepson's Pop Warner team was very similar to this team the final year he played. They were also undefeated during the regular season, with only a single field goal scored against them. It was an amazing team - it went on to form the core of the local high school's CIF championship football team four years later.

Unlike this league, my stepson's PW league did not interfere. And you know what? The team lost in the first round of the playoffs. Just like that, the "magic" season was over. On any given Sunday, etc., etc.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 10:20PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 21, 2021 06:41PM
Some children's leagues have rules that are triggered when a point spread is too immense. This can protect the winning team from an angry player on the losing side intentionally trying to take a kid out due to frustration.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: btfc
Date: November 21, 2021 08:40PM
“ 199-6 in the first seven games of the season “
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 22, 2021 08:06AM
My son's 18u baseball team had a terrible regular season one year. Due to the limited number of teams, every team qualified for the play-offs. They wound up going undefeated throughout the play-offs and won the championship game decisively.

A winning team should continue to play to win but in a sportsmanlike manner. When his team was winning decisively, we'd move players around to play new positions or put in someone who rarely if ever pitched. Offensively, the only thing we would let up on was stealing.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 22, 2021 08:17AM
199-6 sounds like it is running up the score, but that is over 7 games, so it is an average of 28 pts per game - 4 touchdowns. That is one TD per quarter. I don't see that as running up the score. Sounds more like a dominating defense.

Most youth teams are also required to rotate players so every player gets to play. In my youth soccer time, it was 20-minutes minimum per player (games were 60-minutes).

The story says the team joined the league last year when there was a problem getting enough teams due to the pandemic. It is from a nearby town, not the one where the league is based. I'm seeing some hometown favoritism, especially when the league directors are the coaches whose teams are losing.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 08:18AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 22, 2021 01:59PM
Meanwhile at the Field of Dreams, Earl Weaver's team is crushing all
their opponents. Suddenly a voice rings down from the heavens and says
"Hey Weaver, your team is too good. You have to give the other teams a
chance. Bench Cobb, Gehrig, Ruth, Clemente, Cy Young, and Mantle."

Weaver throws his cap down on the field, looks up and shouts "With all
due respect sir, go eff yourself."

(RIP Earl)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020