advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
found a ragtop '87 Saab 900t
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 21, 2021 01:20PM
years ago, bastids would slice the ragtops.

I found a used '87 Saab 900 121K.
"refurbished included removing and resealing the turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four as well as replacing the factory automatic gearbox with a five-speed manual unit sourced from an SPG model. "
Clean CarFax. $8k.

Am I crazy to even consider a convertible as a daily ?
It's my least favorite car color, red, but ...
I'd think it's prolly safer than the '05 Accord LX and definitely more of a "chick magnet". (giggle giggle giggle giggle).

We had a '92 that we loved .....
But this is 34yo.

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: found a ragtop '87 Saab 900t
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 21, 2021 01:55PM
There's no way it's safer than a 2005 Honda anything.

But the bigger issue for me would be in ever considering a European car a daily driver. Great fun, and rewarding to drive, but that's a very different thing from appliance-like reliability. If it makes you late for work call in sick; don't tell them it's a 34-yr old Saab.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 21, 2021 01:55PM
I've always thought that was the best looking Saab. And I'm a fan of the other Swedish marque.

Safety? Probably not the ragtop version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 01:56PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: November 21, 2021 02:51PM
as a dd, I have no issue with the car. our mechanic is very familiar with the Saab 900.
of course his vote carries a lot of weight. He may not be thrilled with a 34yo. I'll call him tmrw.

our fave looking Saab as well.
yea, a flip would not be fun.
but 95% of the time, to and from the rail station, less than 4 miles at 30m at best.

if I'm ever late for work, it'd be the LIRR long before a Saab.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 21, 2021 02:52PM
deckeda
There's no way it's safer than a 2005 Honda anything.

True. I'm reasonably sure the '87 models didn't have airbags. Saab, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz were leading the way in safety then, but major advances have been made in safety across the board since.

On the other hand, no-one buys a convertible for it's safety factor.

deckeda
But the bigger issue for me would be in ever considering a European car a daily driver. Great fun, and rewarding to drive, but that's a very different thing from appliance-like reliability. If it makes you late for work call in sick; don't tell them it's a 34-yr old Saab.

Agreed. As a "Sunny Sunday" car it would be great, but as a daily driver? Ehh...

Something else to consider with a Saab over more common European cars like Volvos and Mercedes-Benzs is the availability and price of parts for older models, especially the turbo versions.

I've never been bitten by the Saab "bug", but I'll freely admit they have their good points along with their quirks, especially the 99 and 900 hatchbacks.

I'd say check out a Saab forum and ask them what common problem areas you should look at specifically on an '87 turbo 900 convertible first, then work from there.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: November 21, 2021 03:04PM
parts could certainly be an issue, part of the mechanics weight.
although he maintains numerous Ferraris, and the like, for clients.
Ferrari is still in business.
Saab certainly has devotees, like the guy what went head to toe and this one.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 21, 2021 04:01PM
Do you need this to be a practical car? Do you have a backup if this needs work and it takes a while to get parts?

Find a Saab forum if you're interested. They'll tell you what to look out for.

Date: November 21, 2021 04:01PM
I think it was more the 9000, but ask about the "ignition amplifier" module (or something to that effect). These have a way of going when it's least advantageous. Same on a Volvo from the 80s. Stuck on Riverside Drive at rush hour. On the ramp...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 04:02PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 21, 2021 05:06PM
Cool car. There's always another buyer if it does not work for you.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 21, 2021 07:47PM
I would give 10:1 odds against you living through a 40 mph offset crash in the Saab versus a 2005 Accord. Some of the V6 Accords were surprisingly quick and fun to drive with a shock upgrade and the right tires.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 21, 2021 08:17PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I would give 10:1 odds against you living through a 40 mph offset crash in the Saab versus a 2005 Accord.

Gee, that seems a little vague. Could you put it a bit more bluntly?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: November 21, 2021 10:17PM
Thrift Store Scott
Filliam H. Muffman
I would give 10:1 odds against you living through a 40 mph offset crash in the Saab versus a 2005 Accord.

Gee, that seems a little vague. Could you put it a bit more bluntly?

I apologize if I offend anybody but talking about a daily driver vehicle that's 34 years behind in crash safety should be a little blunt. I sold my 1986 Civic about 14 years ago partly because I felt it was too light to survive a crash with all the highway driving I was doing at the time. It being a car theft attractive nuisance was another factor.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Z
Date: November 21, 2021 10:29PM
Can make it work fine. Will be more fun with the stick. Some parts availability challenges with Saab, but generally good online support for most bits. Won’t have as many computer related foibles as later Saabs. It can absolutely be done, that said, I’m a happy old car driver with a ‘66 Volvo, ‘85 Westfalia, ‘91 325ic and ‘10 Mercedes in the fleet.
Date: November 21, 2021 11:48PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I apologize if I offend anybody but talking about a daily driver vehicle that's 34 years behind in crash safety should be a little blunt. I sold my 1986 Civic about 14 years ago partly because I felt it was too light to survive a crash with all the highway driving I was doing at the time. It being a car theft attractive nuisance was another factor.

not offended. and I think Scott was a lil tic.
But no crash safety will keep me from buying my '72 Dino 246.
Should I ever have $300k (and rising) lying about as pocket change.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 22, 2021 12:21AM
absolutely crucial for a SAAB of that vintage is you MUST flush and replace the coolant yearly. SAAB used an aluminum with a high magnesium content. And as far as corrosion and electrolysis goes, the magnesium is the first to go, even before zinc. Eroding the sealing surfaces near coolant passages is the first, most obvious issue. Think head gaskets and intake gaskets.

So a total flush and new coolant mix every year is crucial. Even SAAB calls for it in the owners manual IIRC. But the shop manuals do.

I added sacrificial zincs in the intake manifolds of my Buicks, but even they wouldn't work in a SAAB, as magnesium is more active than zinc.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: November 22, 2021 01:30AM
Fritz
Filliam H. Muffman

not offended. and I think Scott was a lil tic.
But no crash safety will keep me from buying my '72 Dino 246.
Should I ever have $300k (and rising) lying about as pocket change.

I'm not sure what "a lil tic" is (that's a new one on me), but if it's bad then I apologize. If I'm not mistaken, Filliam H. Muffman and I have strongly disagreed before on what is an acceptable level of safety in a car with him being closer to the "More is better and there's never too much/Anything over five years old is a rolling death trap!" end of the scale and me being closer to the opposite "For the right price I'll take my chances" end, though I do insist any vehicle I own is equipped with a padded dashboard.

I could only find one crash test video of a Saab Saab rather than an Opel Saab, a 1982 sedan-

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 22, 2021 07:28AM
$8k is simply too much.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 22, 2021 07:39AM
tongue in cheek.

!#$@@$#!

Date: November 22, 2021 07:58AM
I'd happily choose a 1987 saab over a 15 year newer Honda. It's only in the past dozen or so years that most car manufacturers have truly caught up with saab and Volvo in terms of overall safety.
Date: November 22, 2021 08:01AM
I'll happily choose a 1987 saab over a 15 year newer Honda. Hands down. It's only in the last dozen or so years that most manufacturers have caught up to saab and Volvo in terms of overall safety.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 22, 2021 09:12AM
I've had a couple 9-3 Turbos. The ignition module/DIC is notorious for failing. Best to keep a known good one in the trunk if you don't want to be stranded on the side of the road.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 22, 2021 09:24AM
we had a 2001 9.5 wagon and that's what failed at the end of the warranty. no fun. after GM bought in the quality seemed to decline.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: November 22, 2021 11:05AM
Fritz
I'd think it's prolly safer than the '05 Accord LX and definitely more of a "chick magnet".

More likely it’s a death trap and a GILF magnet but, hey, you be you. hamster dance

Posted by: Z
Date: November 22, 2021 11:46AM
It ultimately depends on your pain tolerance. It's an 35 year old car, so things will break. But everything is maintainable and the one you're looking at appears to be in good condition if the current bat listing. It'll go for more than the current bid, I suspect.

If you'd rather something in White... [www.saabnet.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 22, 2021 01:39PM
It's from before GM got involved in Saab, so that's a huge plus. My dad had a 900 turbo 5 speed four door. It was a blast to drive. Wouldn't buy one from the GM era - quality dropped significantly.
Date: November 22, 2021 02:09PM
Z
It ultimately depends on your pain tolerance. It's an 35 year old car, so things will break. But everything is maintainable and the one you're looking at appears to be in good condition if the current bat listing. It'll go for more than the current bid, I suspect.

If you'd rather something in White... [www.saabnet.com]

That's an awesome site. Very dangerous!
Date: November 22, 2021 02:18PM
A few days ago, I first read about using water-free coolant to help eliminate corrosion.

Page 77 of the Frankenferrari project thread. https: //grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/frankenferrari-v12-ferrari-308/148959/page77/

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 22, 2021 02:57PM
mechanic said no.
parts procurement being a main issue.
window switches.
a part in the steering column, etc.
and picture #135

the Saabnet forum is something I used when we had 2 Saabs.
Lots of good info.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 02:58PM by Fritz.
Date: November 22, 2021 04:06PM
it's a little corny, but ...
[www.hagerty.com]

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020