advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A neighbor just gave me a ton of calamondins...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 22, 2021 08:37PM
... the question is what to do with them. I had wanted to juice them and also take the peels and either make marmalade or perhaps an essential oil.

For those not familiar with them (I wasn't, until the neighbor offered!), they're also known as calamansi, and here's a YouTube of what one young lovely does with them: [www.youtube.com]

... as she points out, juicing them is a real pain in the neck. I'm thinking slicing in half is the way to go, but how to get both the juice AND the peels?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A neighbor just gave me a ton of calamondins...
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 22, 2021 11:07PM
There is a kitchen tool that would work but I can't think of the name of it. About 6 or 7 inches long, usually made of wood, pointed on one end, and a handle on the other. The pointed end has multiple sides sides that taper to the point.

Found it! It's called a "Citrus Reamer", and they come in various sizes-

[www.amazon.com]

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Z
Date: November 23, 2021 12:53PM
Steve's Akaka Falls jams and jellies do some amazing things with Calamodin -

[akakafallsfarm.com]

[youtu.be]
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 23, 2021 01:37PM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking a juicer might do a better job than a reamer, because a reamer would just take way too long with this number of them. Then after juicing, I'll save the peels.

And yeah, I know they can make great marmalade, jams, etc. This neighbor must have hundreds of them, because she gave me maybe 50-100 of them, and is also giving to at least 10 other people in the neighborhood too.

The wiki for them also has calamondin cake, apparently popular in Florida in the 1920-1950's:

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: jimmy d
Date: November 25, 2021 10:28AM
You could make vinegar. I’ve been buying it for years, and, like most vinegars, it lasts forever. Quite expensive but delicious. Might make a nice homemade gift. I buy the product in the link.

[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020