Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
music meets technology
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 22, 2021 09:04PM
[www.youtube.com]

this is a demo of Ableton Live. A music composition app by design, although I never learned to use it as that. For me it is a cart machine.
But if you like music and technology, and after all, who doesn't?
Pretty cool 3 minutes.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: music meets technology
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 23, 2021 07:37AM
Link is taking me to a demo of Novation/Launchpad, not Ableton.

JoeM
Date: November 23, 2021 07:59AM
it's ableton he's using with the launch pad.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: kj
Date: November 23, 2021 10:14AM
I have ableton. Most people my age and older don't use it the way it's meant to be used, but there is a button in the upper right-hand corner that turns the look into a more conventional daw thing. I like that you can correct timing issues in audio, not just midi, and I often need that winking smiley It's really a magnificent piece of software though.
Date: November 23, 2021 10:20AM
it's great software with well minded developers who have been offered buy-outs numerous times, but don't go for it.
been using it since v2.
I'd like to learn the composition use, but time .....

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 23, 2021 12:16PM
A cart machine? Ha. I love it.

My friends use it to DJ, but it's total overkill to me. I'm now contemplating an all in one mixer, but can't justify the cost at the moment.
Date: November 23, 2021 02:04PM
Fritz
it's ableton he's using with the launch pad.

Gotcha. I’ve never used Ableton but know a lot of people compose with it. Now I’m curious enough to look for a quick YouTube overview.

JoeM
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 24, 2021 08:29AM
Similar to Garageband and Logic Pro, no?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: November 24, 2021 08:37AM
similar, but way more powerful in certain areas.
and way more popular.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 24, 2021 10:58AM
Fritz
similar, but way more powerful in certain areas.
and way more popular.

So... Apple is sinking their pro software as well? Premiere seems to be the dominant video editing software, Ableton Live for music software, Apple got rid of it's pro photo software, FileMaker is overpriced, not sure what is the dominant database software currently. Does anybody really use Pages, Keynote and Numbers? Microsoft's suite is the dominant one there, even though Google's suite is catching up due to education using it pretty exclusively.

Does Apple even care anymore?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: November 24, 2021 11:08AM
Logic Pro X is still quite popular with musicians.
Pros resort to Pro Tools, if only because of it's relatively easy and stable Time Code abilities for post.
Musicians will swear the Logic Pro X or some other sound better. Who cares at 128kb?

Media Composer (avid) and DeVinci (BlackBox) are very popular vidiot apps.

Apple makes stuff. Software has largely gone to subscription.
Prolly not worth Tim's time. Especially since many are balking at the idea of subscription. Pro Tools is a good example.
Most pros I know that work at home don't subscribe. Only bigger studios and post houses.

As long as people keep buying a new iPho every 6 months, why should Tim change? It's not like Apple's going the way of Commodore.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: kj
Date: November 24, 2021 01:48PM
Sam3
Similar to Garageband and Logic Pro, no?

It is similar in that you can make music with both. Logic started out a traditional DAW, whereas Live introduced a new way to do music that is more contemporary (loop based, electronic, etc.). Logic has had to add features to compete, and Live can be used in a more traditional manner, so they've gotten closer. So now, it is just a question of emphasis, I suppose. Except that I'm not sure Logic has the features that Ableton has to make it suitable for live performance.

TLDR: Ableton is for youngsters and Logic is for geezers. Oh, and FL studio is for young people without money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 01:54PM by kj.
Date: November 24, 2021 02:00PM
I use both Logic Pro X and Ableton.
I'm a young geezer.

!#$@@$#!

Date: November 24, 2021 06:02PM
As a geezer that’s been using this stuff going back to Atari and SMPTEtrack, I can tell you Logic started as a MIDI sequencer/ notator, developed by a German company, C-Lab who later became Emagic. The original product was called Creator/Notator and was developed for Atari first and Mac afterward. With the start of Emagic the product became Logic / Notator and finally just Logic as it continued to develops and Apple bought it.

Apple has a definite strategy with Logic. They don’t charge a lot or charge for upgrades and the software is loaded with features now. But the catch is it only works with the present OS and one version back. If you want to keep upgrading Logic you need to invest in new hardware from time to time. People who compose and rely heavily on MIDI for composing and workflow generally opt for Logic and those who lean towards more traditional audio recording generally lean towards Pro Tools.

BTW, that old geezer, Pete Townshend has been using Ableton for many years.

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 06:03PM by JoeM.
Date: November 24, 2021 07:07PM
JoeM

what was the band he was in before Wings?

!#$@@$#!

Date: November 24, 2021 07:08PM
Fritz
JoeM

what was the band he was in before Wings?

Buffalo Wild Wings?

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020