advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have Transitions self darkening lenses?
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 23, 2021 09:31AM
Zenni is having a 30% off sale and I was considering ordering a pair of the transitions lenses that get darker and lighter as needed, so I don't have to switch out my glasses to sunglasses all the time.
I have heard that they might not work that great, in the past, but I thought maybe they had improved.
Does anyone have any experience positive or negative with Transitions lenses?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have Transitions self darkening lenses?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 23, 2021 09:40AM
I have them, and have had them for years. The current version does work better than before, when I was outside, I hardly ever wore sunglasses this past summer. The only issue that I have with Transitions is when driving, they will not get dark when you are in the car. I will either wear prescription sunglasses while driving, or else I'll put sunglasses over my glasses.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 23, 2021 09:44AM
I use them for cycling at dawn / dusk and they're perfect for that. Its mostly personal choice. Its what I grab unless I know I'm going to be out in full sun.

Posted by: Acer
Date: November 23, 2021 09:45AM
I had the old "photograys" for years before I went to contact lenses. They worked great. I didn't really like the slight tint they seemed to always have, it was a "tell" that I had photograys even inside. Maybe the newer ones are better for that.

The only odd thing was if I was walking in thick fog, they would darken up like it was broad daylight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 09:45AM by Acer.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 23, 2021 09:53AM
I’ve been using them for years and like them. They don’t work as well in colder temps though.
Date: November 23, 2021 10:07AM
Thanks.
I knew about the not getting dark in the car, and I have a pair of prescription sunglasses for that.
I mostly wanted them for when I walk outside or across the street to the grocery store, so I don’t have to futz with two pair of glasses.
Since Zenni is having a 30 off sale, I might spring for a pair. My lens prescription is high index and progressive, so with the Transitions it gets a little pricey, but not too bad with 30 off.

Date: November 23, 2021 10:07AM
btfc
I’ve been using them for years and like them. They don’t work as well in colder temps though.

My problem is too high temps, most of the year. Lol

Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 23, 2021 10:10AM
I have some. They are better than no sunglasses when you are outside. The newer ones get pretty dark.

They actually react to UV, so the fog thing is not too surprising.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 23, 2021 10:32AM
Sam3
I have them, and have had them for years. The current version does work better than before, when I was outside, I hardly ever wore sunglasses this past summer. The only issue that I have with Transitions is when driving, they will not get dark when you are in the car. I will either wear prescription sunglasses while driving, or else I'll put sunglasses over my glasses.

And the cold, walk in from out in the cold, it is really dark.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: November 23, 2021 12:02PM
I've had them for years and never need sunglasses. It does take some time for them to lighten after coming inside after being in bright sun. They darken much quicker.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 23, 2021 12:10PM
I tried a pair last week and wasn’t that happy with them because they took too long to turn clear again indoors after they were exposed to outdoor light. The reason I tried them at all was that the type of lens that I require for lined trifocals is only available in transitions, not clear. Apparently there is a national shortage of the clear lens for trifocals.

As a side note, the transitions lens are not Polarized for those who use them as sunglasses.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 23, 2021 02:18PM
rgC,

Transitions are a brand, not just a type of lens. There is a difference between the real Transitions and similar lenses produced by Zenni and other companies. The real thing are superior in my experience. Transitions are nice as general purpose glasses and nice to have on a bright, sunny day, when you know you'll need to be indoors and outdoors. For long-term outdoor time and/or driving, you'll still want a pair of quality sunglasses.

The reason Transitions and similar lenses don't work in cars is because they rely on UV ray and the glass used in the vehicles blocks them. That's why I have a pair of sunglasses for driving and use Transitions as regular glasses in the car at night. Same goes for at movies and performances (in a theater) or at arenas for events. 'course, that's was prior to the pandemic.

The Transitions are good at home for watching TV, too. Not a necessity, being that you're indoors but nice to have in case you are home and just want to take a walk on a nice sunny day.

That brings me to my recommendation. Three pairs of glasses. One pair of quality sunglasses (to keep in the car, which is where I use them the most). One pair of Transitions to keep in the car, for those times when I don't need sunglasses. One pair at home for home and sometimes elsewhere use.

Note, I don't wear glasses all the time. Only as necessary for distance. At least for now. Obviously, I'll have to switch things in the event I need to wear glasses all the time.

Robert
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 23, 2021 02:40PM
I have them now, have had them for years and I love them. The driving thing is true, though they claim to have a new kind that works even in the car. I haven't tried them.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 23, 2021 04:12PM
There are self darkening lenses that do work in the car - I've now had 3 pair. They cost more than the regular self darkening though.
Date: November 23, 2021 04:19PM
I decided to give them a try and placed my Zenni order.
If they work as advertised, I think they will be great for my everyday needs.

Thanks for all the input. smiling smiley

Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 23, 2021 04:35PM
I've had them for decades now, and love them, though one thing to be aware of is that they do make your eyes more light-sensitive if you take them off.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 23, 2021 05:20PM
Sam3

There is a different Transitions lens for use behind auto glass.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: November 23, 2021 05:25PM
Racer X
Sam3

I saw these were available, but Zenni doesn’t offer them, just the Transition VII.
I have prescription sunglasses already, so I am good with the regular ones.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 24, 2021 04:35AM
Racer X
Sam3

True. I considered those, but the optometrist showed me a pair and lens indoors is darkish, these never get as light as the regular Transitions.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020