Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
pecan pie
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 23, 2021 10:15PM
never made it before.
non- corn syrup version with honey and maple syrup in place of the corn syrup.
but some recipes use cream, others eggs and one, the ultimate cream, butter in filling.
anyone have a fave method?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pecan pie
Posted by: srf1957
Date: November 23, 2021 11:08PM
Sugar is sugar . Any way you make pecan pie it is a calorie pit . Something similar to this is what I've made . all the recipes
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 23, 2021 11:14PM
I love pecan pie, but I tend to eat the pecans, scrape the goop off the crust and eat the crust.

I love love love apple pies

So I thought, I should put them together.

So I assembled one from a store bought crust, canned apple pie filling, then topped it with pecans.

It was great!

EDIT: I hope someone with real baking skills does this right! If so, let me know how it comes out!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 12:26AM by Rolando.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 23, 2021 11:52PM
you are evil Rolando. But a great idea. Apples and nuts!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 24, 2021 12:39AM
An aunt of mine had a Black Walnut tree in her back yard and she used to make walnut pies that were wonderful. She used the same recipe as pecan pie, but with less-sweet lack walnuts that gave it an ever-so-slight bourbon-ish flavor. My cousin remembers her making it but didn't like it and doesn't know if my aunt modified the basic recipe in any way.

Black walnuts can be tough to get into, so my aunt used my uncle's bench vice to crack them open.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 24, 2021 12:49AM
Whole Foods used to make one with rice syrup that was amazing!

You could try substituting ally lose for the sugar. It’s about as sweet, but doesn’t affect blood sugar levels. [en.m.wikipedia.org] Won’t give you that amazing maple flavor, though.
Date: November 24, 2021 12:49AM
I can sure get onboard with a bourbon pecan pie, with a bourbon caramel sauce.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 24, 2021 03:56AM
I love pecans and I love pie.

I learned about pecan pie in the service — delicious!

But I do eat it with a glass or two of ice cold milk.

Another thing pecans are good on is fruitcake.

I love a great fruitcake but it's a little pricey.

The Colin Street Bakery makes wonderful fruitcakes, but their Regular DeLuxe® Fruitcake is pricey at ~$40 shipped.

People love to hate fruitcake, but Colin Street Bakery increases sales by making a Pecan Cake, a fruitcake in pecan clothing.

One of the guys got a Colin Street fruitcake in a care package, and nobody wanted any, but being the Nice Guy that I am, I accepted a piece and it was really good.

Colin Street also does a Deep Dish Pecan Pie, not quite as pricey, but still very good and really very rich.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 24, 2021 05:30AM
What is now known as Pecan Pie is quite different from what was traditional in the 19th century. The modern day version traces the recipe to an advertising campaign by Karo Syrup.

The original was more of a custard-style that was more about the pecan flavor and did not have the super-rich filling.

1886 recipe from Harpers Bazaar

2 cup milk
2 cup sugar (light brown is my choice)
6 beaten eggs
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups of chopped pecans
1 pie crust

Prebake your piecrust

preheat your oven to 350

combine milk, sugar, eggs, flour, salt, pecans in a saucepan and stir to combine. Place over low heat and stir as it thickens (this will take a while, but you are making a custard not scrambling eggs). Once thickened, pour into the pie shell, decorate with unchopped pecans if desired.

bake 30-35 minutes.

Top with meringue, return to oven for 5-10 minutes until the topping is browned

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: November 24, 2021 05:33AM
thanks Ombligo. that is closer to what I imagined they originally were. You could easily use some bourbon in that original recipe.

Posted by: August West
Date: November 24, 2021 05:39AM
Several years ago I started baking 'spiced' pecans. Tremendously easy with an overwhelmingly positive response. 1 lb pecans, 1/3 cup maple syrup mixed, and whatever spices i decide, mainly cinnamon, chili pepper, then a rotating cast of characters.15-20 minutes in the oven on a baking sheet around 375. thank me later.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: November 24, 2021 06:41AM
oh, there'll be bourbon in it.
MIL had the right idea, alcohol in everything cooked, at least a little.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: DP
Date: November 24, 2021 06:43AM
Don't forget vanilla! A little vanilla extract does wonders for a pecan pie...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 24, 2021 07:28AM
An NYT food writer tested recipes for Thanksgiving pies and wrote up her findings a few weeks ago. Her pecan pie uses maple syrup and honey (as suggested above), some bourbon, and more pecans/less goo.

Here’s the recipe at the NYT, but she also has a YouTube video of the same which is not behind a paywall.

Haven’t tried this recipe myself, but I should - love love love pecan pie.
Date: November 24, 2021 07:31AM
Melissa Clark recipe from last week is the one I decided on.
Followed a few of her NYT recipes that have been very good.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: November 24, 2021 08:01AM
RAMd®d

The Colin Street Bakery makes wonderful fruitcakes, but their Regular DeLuxe® Fruitcake is pricey at ~$40 shipped.

People love to hate fruitcake, but Colin Street Bakery increases sales by making a Pecan Cake, a fruitcake in pecan clothing.

Colin Street also does a Deep Dish Pecan Pie, not quite as pricey, but still very good and really very rich.

I work an event near Collins Street, and they are pretty good. For entertainment you ought to Google them, and read about the financial shenanigans that they experienced. A metric s**t ton of embezzlement.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 24, 2021 08:05AM
Fritz
Melissa Clark recipe from last week is the one I decided on.
Followed a few of her NYT recipes that have been very good.

That’s the one. Let us know how it turns out.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 24, 2021 03:23PM
srf1957
Sugar is sugar . Any way you make pecan pie it is a calorie pit . Something similar to this is what I've made . all the recipes

Yup, extra warm pecan pie and vanilla ice cream added 20 pounds to my midsection in the mid-90s. Now I stay far away from it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DP
Date: November 24, 2021 06:09PM
Yup, extra warm pecan pie and vanilla ice cream added 20 pounds to my midsection in the mid-90s. Now I stay far away from it.

Coward!

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: November 25, 2021 07:51AM

conundrum.
I took it out of the oven at 11p.
Left it on the counter for 9 hrs. House is 60º.
FDA says uh uh after 2.
Do I toss it?
In the fridge now.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 25, 2021 11:36AM
Mmm! Looks good to me! yum smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 25, 2021 05:38PM
Fritz

conundrum.
I took it out of the oven at 11p.
Left it on the counter for 9 hrs. House is 60º.
FDA says uh uh after 2.
Do I toss it?
In the fridge now.

I love single-serving pies! Drop a pint of vanilla ice cream in the middle of that warm pie and you’ll have the perfect desert for your Thanksgiving dinner.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2021 05:39PM by Speedy.
Date: November 25, 2021 10:05PM
single serve with a pint .... huh.
you'd be hallucinating.
Melissa pie was excellent!
I doctored with a dash of cinnamon and 1/2c more pecans.
We use bourboned whipped cream. Yum diggity.

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020