AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Default Folder for half price
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: November 24, 2021 11:05AM
One of my long time favorite apps is on half price today:

[unclutterapp.com]

Other apps, too.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Default Folder for half price
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 24, 2021 11:12AM
Ive looked at ubar and pathfinder many times (I might even own pathfinder) but could never find them useful for some reason.

All of the Default Folder screen shots are in icon view, which I never use... is that the best way to use it?

I use xtrafinder, but it doesn't change the way the finder works, just how it looks.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 24, 2021 11:18AM
jdc

All of the Default Folder screen shots are in icon view, which I never use... is that the best way to use it?

I like list view, but you can choose any of the standard ways of viewing:

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: November 24, 2021 11:34AM
this is my lifes view, and I can access anything in just a few clicks -- just one window. I rarely use the dock, its hidden. I keep thinking there might be a faster way to access some things and FOMO on these apps... but I just don't know...

Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 24, 2021 11:48AM
Tuqqer,

Thank you for the link. I can see a couple of these as useful. Betterzip and DaisyDisk immediately come to mind. Then again, I like Winzip, which competes with BetterZip. Both are more useful than the built-in archive utility. Both are on sale for Black Friday. Been eyeballing Winzip for a long time but didn't want to pay full price for it. Very tempting. Just got to decide which apps. May go for BetterZip since it's a license for 5 computers.

Grabbed a deal to get the current version of Parallels Desktop. Not the pro version, the regular version. Would've gone pro except that it isn't available as non-subscription perpetual license product. The regular version, which is available both ways, should be more than sufficient for my purposes. Needed to upgrade 2 copies. The deal got me both upgrades for a solid price. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 24, 2021 12:13PM
I am awesome!

They said so!

I've been wanting to try Default Folders as it might be the app I'm looking for, so I'm in.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 24, 2021 12:47PM
Default Folder is the ONE app that I have to have on any Mac I use. There are others that I have to have, but if I had to narrow it down to one, it would be Default Folder.

Date: November 24, 2021 12:50PM
Thanks for sharing that, jdc. Was always intrigued by PathFinder.

I see you have an Email folder. Do you drag emails out of Mail that you need to respond to? How do you use that folder, if it's not too personal to ask.

jdc...
Date: November 24, 2021 01:36PM
What app do you use to add color to file names?

And can it be used instead of as well as with the OS tags?

For instance, could that .indd file have either the old style or new style tag as well as both shown?

Sometimes I feel like a dot, sometimes I don't.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: November 24, 2021 02:57PM
its actually xtrafinder, not pathfinder. Which I also tried, but wasn't what I wanted.

When you use a color tag, it colors the whole folder or file and has the dot. But the actual colored folders in the sidebar are icons I copy/paste like the old days.

you can also double click tabs to have them go side by side -- so I can copy from the left to the right, no matter where they are.

Its full of customizations for the finder that make *sense* to me. how about alternating colors in column view?

Or backspace key to go back? It has tons...

Tuq -- The emails folder actually has html emails I build, so its a shortcut to the files. If you want to know how I handle emails -- I do get hundreds of emails daily, but I have rules setup in mail for everyone, auto sorts and keep track of. Im in the middle of production, so everyone is sending me stuff.

If you are looking for an easier way to mail files quickly, In the menu, where PS is, I used to have mail app icon too. Drag any file to the icon = instant email ready to go. I don't start too many "new" emails, 90% of what I do seems to be responding to emails from clients, so its not there anymore.

Those icons in the finder menu bar help me stay away from using the dock. They are always in the same place and close to the actual files. Draging and dropping to the bottom of the screen is a waste of movement.

Feel free to ask anything more, or other screen shots.

Date: November 24, 2021 03:42PM
Thank you, jdc!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: November 24, 2021 03:54PM
Love the system and structure, jdc. Thanks sharing your setup and workflow.

Date: November 24, 2021 04:14PM
of course. its really pretty simple, but it took some work long long ago to get it clean. even with a dozen plus clients, accessing files, emails, whatever associated with them is only but a few clicks away.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 25, 2021 09:55AM
Default Folder seems like a good tip.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 25, 2021 10:04AM
Default Folder seems like a good tip. Thank you.

Pathfinder is also a great program. Large file copies are far more reliable in Pathfinder than they are in the Finder. It can also do queued file copies which adds to the reliability of the copy. Stack more than a few file copies in OSX and it gets unreliable so Pathfinder is really helpful. Batch renaming is also better than the Finder primarily for saving renaming sequence which is handy. Lots of other good features but wether they are useful depends on what you do.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020