advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What to do? Big Sur situation
Posted by: tlh828
Date: November 24, 2021 01:59PM
M1 Mini, Big Sur. FileMaker writes file to Desktop- worked under Mojave and earlier - won't work like that under Big Sur. Error message suggested several reasons. Finally got it to work by writing to an external disk attached to USB port. Then got the bright idea to write to a Disk created by Disk Utility from a .dmg file. But this turns out to be a temporary fix and disappears after sleep and doesn't survive a restart. (The fix would be to leave a cheap USB drive plugged in for an occasional place to place the FileMaker output.) Does anyone know of another, good, way out of this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What to do? Big Sur situation
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 24, 2021 02:23PM
Will it write to the root level of your startup drive?
How about to your documents folder?
Is is just your DESKTOP that it won't write to?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 24, 2021 02:31PM
Paul - I'll try writing it to the Documents folder ( I may have already tried that, don't remember - seems obvious to do! Thank you.
Date: November 24, 2021 02:47PM
Paul - Tried the Documents folder - didn't work. Seems like it should've worked. I'll look for errors. Thanks.

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 24, 2021 03:16PM
Is "Stickies" still available in Big Sur? Maybe not the most elegant solution, but handy for saving a bunch of text in a pinch.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 24, 2021 03:33PM
"Never upgrade" --Chopper
Date: November 24, 2021 04:36PM
This is the message I get"

"20211124.Dat could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

The only thing that seems to work is to use a different disk- in this case a plugged-in disk in one of the computer's ports.
Date: November 24, 2021 04:40PM
This is the message I get"

"20211124_Dat could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

The only thing that seems to work is to use a different disk- in this case a plugged-in disk in one of the computer's ports.
Date: November 24, 2021 04:47PM
20211124_Dat vice 20211124.Dat
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 24, 2021 05:44PM
chopper
"Never upgrade" --Chopper

This reminds me of a golden moldie:

"God is dead. -- Clapton"

"Clapton is dead. -- God"

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 24, 2021 08:02PM
1. What version of FileMaker? There are ALWAYS major bugs when trying to use old versions in new OSes.

2. Do you have Desktop and Documents sync enabled in your iCloud settings? It screws up a lot of apps.

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 24, 2021 11:36PM
Since it appears to be trying and and failing to save your file using today's date as a file name, maybe try giving the file a different name?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: November 25, 2021 04:38AM
FileMaker 17 Advanced. No, there's nothing wrong with the file name. Works fine when the destination volume is not the same volume as the volume the system is own. "Write to a different disk" is the solution but it's very awkward and seems to violate normal usage.

I guess I'll just have to use a USB drive just for these tiny files.

Maybe the system developers thought there'd be a potential security risk to allowing an application running from the Application folder create and write to the Documents folder. But that happens all the time in normal usage so maybe Sarcany is own to something and the file hasn't been "blessed" properly by FileMaker.
Date: November 25, 2021 04:40AM
"on" not "own" . I hate that type of error.
Date: November 25, 2021 04:42AM
I don't use iCloud.
Date: November 25, 2021 06:54AM
3. Have you gone into the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy options and confirmed that FileMaker has been granted File & Folder access to the Desktop folder? You may have missed a prompt when it requested permission.

Date: November 25, 2021 11:44AM
Good idea, Sarcany; I should have thought of that. I'll check.
Date: November 25, 2021 12:02PM
I think that's it, Sarcany. FileMaker Advanced 17, as installed, only allows access to removable volumes, e.g., USB drives. Furthermore, Privacy settings do not seem to allow additional settings for Filemaker although Privacy Settings is unlocked.
Date: November 25, 2021 12:03PM
Thank you all, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Date: November 26, 2021 05:27AM
Add it to the "Full Disk Access" list in the Privacy pane.

'Hope you had a good holiday!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020