advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
For those who still eat pasta...
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 24, 2021 05:39PM
...do you add oil and/or salt to the water you boil? I remember growing up that my parents added salt. At some point I remember hearing the suggestion of adding a little oil to keep the noodles from sticking together. I rarely add either, but I'm wondering if it makes things any better.

Just curious.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For those who still eat pasta...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 24, 2021 05:41PM
wurm
...do you add oil and/or salt to the water you boil? I remember growing up that my parents added salt. At some point I remember hearing the suggestion of adding a little oil to keep the noodles from sticking together. I rarely add either, but I'm wondering if it makes things any better.

Just curious.

Yep, a couple dollops of olive oil... keeps the noodles from sticking AND improves flavor.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ombligo
Never add oil if you want the sauce to stick to the pasta.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Salt, not oil.

It is what it is.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 24, 2021 05:42PM
Are you implying there are people who do not eat pasta? smiley-shocked003

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DP
Date: November 24, 2021 05:44PM
rgG
Are you implying there are people who do not eat pasta? smiley-shocked003

You beat me to it! I was going to ask, "what do you mean, still?"...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 24, 2021 05:49PM
Salt only:
[www.barilla.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 24, 2021 05:54PM
Salt, no oil.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 24, 2021 05:58PM
Just a pinch of Sea salt. If you do use oil I've heard olive oil is what to use.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 24, 2021 06:07PM
The water should be as salty as sea water according to many Food Network chefs. As the pasta cooks, and takes on water, it brings the salt with it. Same with potatoes.

I super salt the water when I boil baby new potatoes. When cooked, we smash them, NOT mash them, then butter. Now eat. Baby yellow potatoes are da Bomb.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 06:09PM by Racer X.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 24, 2021 06:24PM
There is nothing worse than pasta cooked without enough salt in the water! NO oil.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 24, 2021 06:27PM
Salt. No oil. And a pound of pasta can be cooked in as little as 2 L of water. Increasing the amount of water does not make the pasta any better.
Date: November 24, 2021 06:27PM
Thank you, all. I guess I could have made it a poll. smiling smiley

As for the implication that some here don't eat pasta, I often think of this place as having a high percentage of health nuts (and I mean that in the nicest way). Methinks I was giving us more credit than what is due.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 24, 2021 06:51PM
Ombligo
Never add oil if you want the sauce to stick to the pasta.

This. You're counting on the starch to cling to the sauce.

Stir the pasta vigorously when adding to the pot and then a couple more times in the first few minutes and you'll be fine.

Salt about a tablespoon per gallon. Less for salty salt. ;)
Date: November 24, 2021 06:52PM
pasta in and of itself is neither healthy nor unhealthy. It depends on what type, how much, and what you eat it with.

Just a tangential FYI. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is very beneficial to us humans. If you cook them with oil, like in a marinara, you can absorb about 10 times as much lycopene. (lycopene can help prevent prostate cancer among other things) And 1/4 cup of tomato sauce is a single serving of vegetables. So a modest amount of pasta, and a lot of tomato sauce cooked with some olive oil is actually pretty healthy.

My step-father, who had type 2 diabetes, cooks Normandy veg mix and tosses it with pasta 1:1, and then lots of red sauce. HAD type 2 diabetes. That's like 3 or 4 servings of vegetables just from that bowl of food.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 06:55PM by Racer X.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 24, 2021 07:12PM
My sainted grandma heavily salted the water but only put a few drops of olive oil if she was cooking lasagna or ravioli. Never for regular macaroni ( we never ate “pasta” only macaroni … with…”gravy”)

JoeM
Date: November 24, 2021 07:13PM
"gravy" She must have been Italian.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 24, 2021 07:17PM
Uh Oh. The gravy vs sauce debate. The NJ people have entered the ring.
Date: November 24, 2021 07:54PM
Funny, everyone here is saying no oil. I've always used oil and NEVER had a problem with the sauce sticking to the pasta ... but maybe that's because I'm typically using a cream-based sauce rather than a tomato-based one? But even with the tomato-based sauces, I don't recall ever having that much of a problem. Maybe it also depends on what kind(s) of pasta you're talking about? I'm usually doing either ravioli or tortellini, where I don't want the pasta sticking to itself. I also never add salt because I'm trying to watch my sodium.

Posted by: fauch
Date: November 24, 2021 08:28PM
Definitely salt. I am unconvinced whether oil really "helps" but that's how I learned to make it.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 24, 2021 08:38PM
The reason some add oil is to prevent boiling/foaming over.

Skip the oil and use the right pot. Plenty of water, absolutely salt.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 24, 2021 08:41PM
Gravy, in the south, is not what you put on pasta. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: November 24, 2021 08:53PM
rgG

Any starch in a storm, I always say.......

Date: November 24, 2021 10:08PM
btfc
The reason some add oil is to prevent boiling/foaming over.

Skip the oil and use the right pot. Plenty of water, absolutely salt.

Actually I'm not using a pot, and as mentioned, I'm not adding the oil for the reason you state. I find that adding the oil does indeed prevent the pasta from sticking to each other, and also adds flavor. No salt for me!

I eat spaghetti...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 25, 2021 01:24AM
...but call it 'pasta' to sound cool.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 25, 2021 02:22AM
Definitely salt, but in lieu of oil, we've been known to put a small dollop of butter in in the water. As to sauces, we undercook the pasta a smidgen, and finish it by simmering the pasta in the sauce, usually in a 12" pan. We're always sauteing veggies and other goodies to add to the meal, so the pan's already on the stove. Depending on how thick the sauce is, we also usually add a few ounces of pasta water to the finishing pan so that the end result leaves everything in a perfect consistency.
Bon apetito.
==
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: November 25, 2021 05:07AM
Buzz
Definitely salt, but in lieu of oil, we've been known to put a small dollop of butter in in the water. As to sauces, we undercook the pasta a smidgen, and finish it by simmering the pasta in the sauce, usually in a 12" pan. We're always sauteing veggies and other goodies to add to the meal, so the pan's already on the stove. Depending on how thick the sauce is, we also usually add a few ounces of pasta water to the finishing pan so that the end result leaves everything in a perfect consistency.
Bon apetito.
==

I love this trick. I take the pasta off the stove, and dump it into the alterady-simmering homemade sauce to finish cooking. It becomes so much more flavorful that way.

Salt, no oil, by the way. I almost don’t want to admit that I enjoy zoodles almost as much as real pasta. I mix them 1:1 sometimes, but I’m also happy to just eat them with sauce. I also enjoy… cooked cauliflower with tomato sauce. Yep, I’m weird. I’d most like to eat stuffed pasta if I’m going to eat it. Or pasta e fagioli.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 25, 2021 05:13AM
We just stick it in water and don't worry about it. My mom used to put in salt and it doesn't bother me to do it but I just stopped doing it. Of course, my level of cooking is, let us say, a bit primitive!
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 25, 2021 07:29AM
This thread demands a taste test!

But … AFTER Turkey Day is over…
Date: November 25, 2021 08:06AM
Well, I'm glad i asked here, but as I should have guessed, there's a wealth of info out there. [www.google.com].*

In a nutshell (from the first hit):

Scientifically speaking, there's only one valid reason to salt your pasta water: it evenly seasons each noodle from the inside out.

Most experts recommend a heaping tablespoon of salt per gallon of water (or per pound of dry pasta).

For the sodium patrollers, at ease: Your pasta will not absorb the full tablespoon of salt. In fact, a pound of pasta is estimated to absorb only about a quarter of that amount.

Table salt, kosher salt, sea salt… any of these types of salt will work fine, but you'll want to avoid iodized salt at all costs as it will impart an off taste to the noodles.

Who knew?
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: November 25, 2021 08:41AM
Wow, I thought the only reason to add salt to the water (to boil pasta) was to increase the molarity and raise the boiling point A higher boiling point meant less time to cook. Never thought that the salt content of the pasta would increase.

Todd's unseasoned, pinch-me keyboard
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 25, 2021 12:11PM
Racer X
"gravy" She must have been Italian.

Hmm. My Mother was 100% Italian and I met a lot of her side of the family while growing up. Think Goodfella/Sopranos when we had a get together.

Not ONE of those relatives ever said "gravy". It was all about the sauce. First time I heard it called gravy, I thought beef or chicken gravy and imagined spaghetti topped with one of those.

smiley-signs006

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Re: I eat spaghetti...
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: November 25, 2021 06:19PM
Salt in the water, always. No oil; I used to add oil to the pasta water but that was decades ago and I like it better without. Old Fogette But I do sometimes add oil or butter to the pasta after draining, depending on what'd going with or on it.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 25, 2021 08:35PM
rgG

It is if you’re an Italian from South Philly or South Brooklyn. smiley-laughing001

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020