Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sharpening Stones
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 24, 2021 06:09PM
Hey everyone,
I have a couple Henckels needing some TLC. I’ve been using a honing rod and a handheld accusharp,but I’m not happy with the results.
So I’m thinking on trying a sharpening stone and maybe a strop.
I expect a learning curve, but I’d definitely wouldn’t want an 80 dollar kit full of gizmos and gloves… unless it’s a good idea.
All opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sharpening Stones
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 24, 2021 06:25PM
Those 2 would be a good start. You sure can go down an endless rabbit hole when it comes to sharpening. Trust me. I have about $350 in various Arkansas stones.

Just an FYI, for no real reason. If the Henckels logo has 1 dude, its a non German manufactured item. The Twins means made at the main factory in Germany. I don't know if there is actually and significant difference. I have a knife block with about a grand worth of German 4 Star Henckels. Maybe closer to 1500. I got them over time on eBay and Craigslist. I polished the handles, cleaned up the blades and sharpened them.

Doing them by hand prevents you from ruining a blade in the blink of an eye. It can be kind of meditative too.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 06:27PM by Racer X.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 24, 2021 07:05PM
This will help you in your quest. Refer to the master.

[youtu.be]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 24, 2021 07:22PM
I have not use these but deckeda posted about a company that looks to have decent products. It takes a little digging on their Instrgram account to investigate how their products work.

25% off Black Friday code: BF25
[lansky.com]

Youtube channel: https: //www.youtube.com/c/LanskySharp/videos

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 24, 2021 07:55PM
Lansky is good stuff. I'd opt up to get the diamond over the stone.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 24, 2021 08:15PM
I've used this Spyderco system for decades. Easy to learn and now they include a DVD:

[www.amazon.com]

This system can sharpen many different blades, not just knives.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 24, 2021 08:21PM
Yikes. I am going to slowly turn around and walk away before I pick up a new time and money burning hobby.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 24, 2021 08:26PM
[forums.macresource.com]
Date: November 24, 2021 08:26PM
C(-)ris
Yikes. I am going to slowly turn around and walk away before I pick up a new time and money burning hobby.

wise......

Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 24, 2021 09:09PM
[youtu.be]

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 24, 2021 09:48PM
I tried the wet stone for a while, I have a high end I bought from the Cook Shop in NYC for silly $ in the drawer. Just ain't my cuppa, I guess.

A friend, who's a former NYC chef said,
"BS. Waste of fkn time. Home entertainment.
Do you have $2000 speakers at home or $500 ... or less?
What do you do as a profession? Seriously!
BS. I doubt our clientele can tell neither."
He used either the accu or a Chefs Choice electric job on his stoopit expensive knives.

Been using the accusharp for a decade on our Wusthofs.
It also takes a little knack to get it right.
But we're very happy with it.

Whenever I cut something a little more "tougher" (eggplant, grapefruit) I run it thru again 4 or 5 strokes. It's quite sharp.

Accusharp has been great. Even after the Wusthof took a bang on the counter edge, it worked the ding out.

As Racer X said, wabbit hole. I don't want to be an Elmer.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 24, 2021 11:51PM
Great info and links, thank you all!
A while ago someone laid the accusharp too hard on the Henckel (with twins!). It was sharp for the rest of the evening, but it never came back afterwards.
So the one-dude Henckel Japanese style took over as the better knife (I never paid attention until today, it says German steel, made in china).
It’s a good knife, but it has been mistreated while sharpening, again, by someone else.
Then last Sunday I grabbed the twin henckel and a stone I got from harbor freight a long time ago, and kept at it for 20 minutes or so.
Still not fine, but the sharpest it’s been in a while. The stone is clearly not ok, I definitely didn’t clean it as Monsieur Pépin recommends (great video! Thanks!).
So today’s post about lansky’s sale had me thinking about it again, hence my posting.

I think I’ll order my original links, and see how it goes. Maybe graduate to the diamond rig…
I really liked the idea of the spyderco, I’ll put it on my wishlist.
But I will also give the accusharp another shot haha…

Thanks everybody! Happy thanksgiving!!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 25, 2021 12:16AM
After trying all sorts of techniques and gadgets, I settled on a Norton combo 1000/8000 waterstone with a flattening stone, about $100 when I bought it seven years ago. Being a water stone, they wear more quickly, but they make the sharpening quick. I had decided I just had to put in the time to get the process down, and it was worth it. With our Henckels, I can get a close shave. Early on, I could get it that sharp, but the angle was too low and fragile so it dulled easily. Now I have the angle right and it stays sharp longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2021 12:19AM by lost in space.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: November 25, 2021 05:16AM
One of my mom's requested thanksgiving activities today is sharpening our loppers. She bought a tool to do this, and we get to learn to use it.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 25, 2021 05:23AM
We got one of those blocks with knife sharpeners built in. I think it has the sharpeners for a half dozen of the knives and it works fine. If I ever need to clean something up I use the Accusharp. But, I'm happy with knives that are not incredibly sharp.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 25, 2021 07:51AM
Spend a bit more and get something that will do a great job every time. Get a Chef's Choice.

We have one and it works great. A friend who's a butcher borrowed ours to use at home. He was so impressed with it that he bought one. And he has a professional sharpener at work.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 25, 2021 07:57AM
Geez, you folks take this knife sharpening thing too seriously! I cook every day and only have an old stone and a couple of steels.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 25, 2021 10:32AM
Fritz
Been using the accusharp for a decade on our Wusthofs.
It also takes a little knack to get it right.
But we're very happy with it.

agree smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020