advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Well This Is Weird (Microwave Oven Parts)
Posted by: jh
Date: November 24, 2021 10:08PM
We have a Hamilton Beach countertop model microwave oven (purchased from Walmart) that is approximately 6 years old. Has worked without any problems and is still working fine.

Problem--the door handle has come loose from one end as the screw holding it to the from has come loose from the handle. It appears to be ripped out of the handle. Was going to take it off and see if I can do something to the ripped hole part of the handle but then thought I would just order a replacement handle.

Sooo I searched my usual parts web sites plus I did a Google search and none of the sites I looked at had the model number I have parts--in fact nobody had any Hamilton Beach parts period. So I go to the Hamilton Beach parts website. Turns out they don't even have any microwave oven parts. They don't even list microwave ovens as a choice to search for parts on their website!

What am I missing? Anybody have a parts place for Hamilton Beach or maybe a site that actually makes them if they are owned by another company? I know they may not be top of the line but this one works fine and assuming the replacement handle would be a reasonable price it would be nice to just replace the handle of a good working microwave. Searching I found lots of other handles for other makes (which makes me think handles are the weak point for these devices)

I did a temporary fix that I could probably may it last for a while but if anybody has any ideas to search for parts before we may have to replace it I would appreciate it.

Weird.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Well This Is Weird (Microwave Oven Parts)
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 24, 2021 10:27PM
I met a man at a VA Eye Clinic who had a serious eye issues after standing in front of a running microwave with a cracked glass door.

DO NOT USE THE MICROWAVE If the door/seal is broken. He described his vision as like having spiderwebs in his eyes.

Northern California Coast
Date: November 24, 2021 10:51PM
Screen not broken or cracked. Handle is the problem.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 24, 2021 10:52PM
Poking the search engines implies Proctor Silex might be the core brand. It could take a bit of sleuthing to find if there is a similar Proctor Silex model that would allow you to order compatible parts.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 25, 2021 07:54AM
What about filling the hole in the handle with epoxy, reinstalling before the epoxy dries pushing the screw into the epoxy and securing while it dries?

Got access to a 3d printer? Might be the perfect time to make your own part. I've done that for a refrigerator shelf cap and a few other things around the house.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 25, 2021 08:10AM
I think, unfortunately, microwaves are one of those things that manufacturers want to be unfixable, and not solely for greedy, evil reasons.

If it’s just a handle problem tho, I think you’re taking the right approach. Fix it yourself.
Date: November 25, 2021 10:42AM
macphanatic
What about filling the hole in the handle with epoxy, reinstalling before the epoxy dries pushing the screw into the epoxy and securing while it dries?

Got access to a 3d printer? Might be the perfect time to make your own part. I've done that for a refrigerator shelf cap and a few other things around the house.

I have glued it for now and it is holding. Was going to take the handle off and work on the hold and possible use a bigger screw or glue and screw after flattening out the hold but the misses said don't mess with it until after Thanksgiving. She is leaning on just getting a new one.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 25, 2021 01:42PM
I would lean on fixing the handle.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 26, 2021 09:19AM
Dennis S
I would lean on fixing the handle.

I agree. Some epoxy putty, let it cure & re-drill the screw hole.
Or as macphanatic suggested, a 3-D printed replacement. You would
have to drill new screw holes in it.
JB WaterWeld is great for the job. Contains no metals & cures in an hour.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020