Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to go shopping in San Francisco
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 24, 2021 11:46PM
This is just insane!

Over the course of several hours on Friday night, at least 30 people burglarized several of San Francisco’s most upscale stores, prosecutors said, in what law enforcement officials called one of the most brazen thefts in recent memory.

The following day, hours after officials vowed to prosecute the thieves and prevent another large burglary, dozens of people ran into a Nordstrom store in the suburb of Walnut Creek, Calif., 25 miles to the east. They grabbed clothes, jackets and handbags, and escaped into a caravan of waiting vehicles, the police said.

Across eight days this month, near Chicago, around the Bay Area and in Beverly Hills and Los Angeles, a series of fast, high-profile burglaries have alarmed businesses, bystanders and some state and local officials, who have promised to crack down on the crimes.

“We need to make an example out of these folks,” Gov. Gavin Newsom of California said at a news conference on Monday. “They’re not just stealing people’s products and impacting their livelihoods. They’re stealing a sense of place and confidence, and that’s why you got to get serious about it.”

Whether any of the burglaries were connected was unclear. Store surveillance footage and cellphone videos that were shared online, showing people grabbing and running with merchandise, indicated that they varied widely. One Northern California theft appeared to involve three people, while the Walnut Creek burglary involved as many as 80, according to the police.

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to go shopping in San Francisco
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 25, 2021 12:18AM
Happened in Chicago as well.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 25, 2021 01:06AM
It is happening everywhere.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2021 01:12AM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 25, 2021 01:24AM
and when they can prove a spree was premeditated and co-ordinated, you get conspiracy charges, and that's where the real time comes from.

That's the real key for the Jan 6 riot too.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2021 01:25AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 25, 2021 02:34AM
C(-)ris
It is happening everywhere.

And has been for awhile, on a smaller scale. A few years, at least. Groups of anywhere from 2-10 or so sweep through a store grabbing merchandise and walking out of the door.

Taking advantage of the policy many companies have of not confronting thieves. Let the security cameras take it all in and hand it over to police.

I worked for one company that had a hard and fast policy of discipling employees that attempted to intervene. They’d much rather write it off than deal with liability claims from anyone on either side of a confrontation.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2021 02:35AM by Blankity Blank.
Date: November 25, 2021 02:44AM
It may be new(s) if you live in Peoria or Utica but not so much in large cities. Gangs have been at this for years and eventually urban creep brings it home.

If you think it a new phenomena, try reading a few Dickens novels or if you can no longer handle long term reading watch The Gangs of New York on your favorite cable channel.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 25, 2021 04:22AM
Meanwhile major retailers are abandoning urban areas while the small
mom & pops are left trapped until they're driven out of business.
Another popular form of this is the crash & grab of freestanding
ATMs from various stores.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2021 04:26AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 25, 2021 07:46AM
This is what happens when you don't hold everyone accountable for bad behavior.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 25, 2021 08:05AM
I think this is a fad which is going to be tamped down once the participants in these things start getting raked over the coals in the legal system. The larger the group of miscreants, the greater the likelihood that one will turn on and name his/her co-conspirators.

So, not only do the perps face conspiracy charges in exchange for the handbag they snatched, there’s also potential restitution for damages not present in say, simple shoplifting.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but is actually the opposite, even from the viewpoint of the thief.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 25, 2021 10:08AM
OK, now they’ve gone too far!!

‘ Also Wednesday, police said at least four people stole $20,000 worth of merchandise from an Apple store in Santa Rosa, located about 55 miles north of San Francisco.

"In a brazen daytime burglary in front of customers and staff, the suspects grabbed over $20,000 worth of merchandise from the store and fled the area in an unknown vehicle," Santa Rosa police said.

The suspects were between the ages of 14 and 18 and wore masks, police said. ‘

[amp.cnn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2021 10:10AM by btfc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 25, 2021 10:27AM
"Let the security cameras take it all in and hand it over to police."

who, IF they even respond, will file a report that often goes nowhere.

Such behavior WILL only get worse and continue to escalate until STRICT measures are taken to stop it. The PRINCIPLE is FAR more important than the monetary value. old fogey smiley angry villagers smiley
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 25, 2021 11:23AM
btfc
OK, now they’ve gone too far!!

‘ Also Wednesday, police said at least four people stole $20,000 worth of merchandise from an Apple store in Santa Rosa, located about 55 miles north of San Francisco.

"In a brazen daytime burglary in front of customers and staff, the suspects grabbed over $20,000 worth of merchandise from the store and fled the area in an unknown vehicle," Santa Rosa police said.

The suspects were between the ages of 14 and 18 and wore masks, police said. ‘

[amp.cnn.com]

My memory of Apple stores is that they don't have "stocked shelves" of retail products out in the open, everything is "in the back" except the display/demo devices and small things like iPhone cases and dongles.

From the picture in the article it looks like they were stealing the display/demo iPhones. I hope they realize that Apple tracks everything with a serial number. Also wonder if any of them own iPhones and were stupid enough to have it in their pockets when they entered the store.

Several years ago when Steve Job's house in Palo Alto was broken into an iMac and iPad were stolen (this was after his death). At the time one of the news reports included a PDF of the police report and search warrant for the suspect. They were able to locate it pretty quickly once it connected to the internet. They always log the IP address of the software update check with the serial number. They found an iTunes account from another device connecting from that same IP address. From the credit card / billing info for that iTunes account they had a name and address.

Apple may not collect "personally identifiable information" from a lot of things, but when combined with other info they should be able to get a pretty good idea of where a device is located, especially now with their bluetooth based and crowd sourced "Find My" network.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 25, 2021 11:33AM
Am I seeing the future here?

No more store fronts, everything will be ordered and paid for online, and you either have it delivered to your door, or pickup at warehouse.

Window shopping and store browsing will become a thing of the past.

And yeah, these jerks stealing need to be dealt with. We all end up paying for their crimes with higher prices of goods.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 25, 2021 01:32PM
Racer X
and when they can prove a spree was premeditated and co-ordinated, you get conspiracy charges, and that's where the real time comes from.

To that end: [www.latimes.com]

It is what it is.
Date: November 25, 2021 03:40PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

Follow home robbery is the latest gang wrinkle.
Date: November 25, 2021 05:25PM
macphanatic
This is what happens when you don't hold everyone accountable for bad behavior.

absolutely.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: November 25, 2021 05:27PM
Rick-o
Am I seeing the future here?

No more store fronts, everything will be ordered and paid for online, and you either have it delivered to your door, or pickup at warehouse.

Window shopping and store browsing will become a thing of the past.

And yeah, these jerks stealing need to be dealt with. We all end up paying for their crimes with higher prices of goods.

There was an episode of the 70s Buck Rogers series where it was just that. Order everything from home, and they had a conveyor/vacuum tube sorta something that brought it to your domicile.

Date: November 25, 2021 05:29PM
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X

People are finding those tile thingys attached to cars, or dropped in purses. Don't even need to follow.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 25, 2021 05:41PM

That's been around a long while as well.

"Let the security cameras take it all in and hand it over to police."

Which is usually either low grade or doesn't catch the faces of crooks well, and is most often a grainy, blurry bag of hurt.

And now there's more masking than ever.

who, IF they even respond

Unless it Chicago or Boston, or similar, there will be responses.

Oakland and other PDs and SOs are seriously understaffed, and you know they can't be everywhere.

Not to mention OPD has had a lot on their plate without the caravan smash and grabs.

With organized gangs, the crooks are almost always gone in a couple of minutes.

Palo Alto PD was in the right place at the right time to get two crooks.

will file a report that often goes nowhere

Some departments don't GAF, sure.

But with lack of leads, where would you expect it to go?

Just like homes that provide grainy blurry video of crooks stealing packages from their porch, few if have cameras that show a suspect vehicle descript or a plate.

And witnesses?

How many times have you heard 'I don't want to get involved'?

Without resources, policing is reactive not proactive.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 25, 2021 06:39PM
As GGD points out, the Apple Store thing was perhaps the stupidest yet - they stole their own trackers.

If they were between 14 and 18 years old (how did they know that?), they’re likely to catch hell when the police show up at their family’s door. smiley-shocked003

Everybody take a deep breath, please. No one got hurt, and pretty much everyone will be caught and have to pay up, financially and otherwise. In the halls of crime, this is noticeable mostly for its stupidity. No need to break out pitchforks.

I suspect this will some make people crazy, but around here if they catch you (and identify you) shoplifting on video, they mail you a citation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020