advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Seeking alternative to Dreamweaver
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: November 26, 2021 09:17AM
Built my first web sites using Claris Home Page. Switched to Adobe's GoLive after buying an early Creative Suite package. Reluctantly switched again after Adobe replaced GoLive with Dreamweaver. The version of Dreamweaver that came with CS 5.5 won't work with my newer Mac Mini. So far, I have not been able to successfully install my CS 5.5 on a donated Macbook Pro (circa 2010).

Am currently using the latest versions of CS courtesy of my employer. That availability will go away after I retire next year.

Am looking for a software program that is similar to Dreamweaver with these features:

1) only have to purchase once (no subscription)
2) seamless, reliable FTP
3) can view and edit pages in both line code and WYSIWYG formats. (as well as switch between one or the other)
4) can open existing pages (Ideally, entire sites.) that were created in Dreamweaver.
5 (bonus option) Has a Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday sale?

thanks, Todd's old-and-crusty keyboard
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Seeking alternative to Dreamweaver
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 26, 2021 09:38AM
Todd's,

Maybe create a basic virtual system that will allow you to run your existing version of Adobe CS 5.5. You can get Parallels Desktop as a one-time non-subscription purchase and you can use it to create a virtual system. The pro version of Parallels Desktop is subscription only. The regular can be had as a stand-alone. I'm doing this so I can move up to newer flavors of the OS but still maintain compatibility with a few older apps, i.e. Adobe CS (for basic tasks), Quicken 2007 and a few other useful apps).

Robert
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 26, 2021 10:07AM
Nova?

Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: November 26, 2021 11:00AM
I always thought that Parallels allowed a user to run a virtual Windows operating system.

This could be a great workaround.Can Parallels also let a user run a previous Mac OS? Is there some other way to run a previous version virtually? I'm not on it now, and the Mac Mini (I believe) is the last version before the M1 models.

thanks, Todd's nostalgic keyboard
Date: November 26, 2021 12:03PM
Todd's,

Yups! Parallels can create virtual machines for Windows. Flavors of Linux and, most importantly for me, the Mac OS.

Tried VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion and neither would allow me to install the Mac OS. There is some kind of workaround to make them work but it was too much trouble. They _can_ run the MacOS but you shouldn't have to go through hoops to get it working.

Tried the current version of Parallels Desktop and creation of the virtual machine was a breeze and installation of Mojave was easy. Took me about 25 minutes or so to create a virtual system for testing purposes. The hardest part was waitng for the Mojave to install on the virtual machine.

Created the machine. Installed Mojave. Installed Quicken (just for giggles). Used iCloud Drive to copy the installer from the physical computer to the drive of the virtual machine. Easy peasy. Parallels Desktop is on sale right now for 30% off. I used it as an opportunity to buy a copy for my office and for myself.

Robert
Posted by: davester
Date: November 26, 2021 05:47PM
Robert M
Todd's,

Yups! Parallels can create virtual machines for Windows. Flavors of Linux and, most importantly for me, the Mac OS.

Tried VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion and neither would allow me to install the Mac OS. There is some kind of workaround to make them work but it was too much trouble. They _can_ run the MacOS but you shouldn't have to go through hoops to get it working.

Tried the current version of Parallels Desktop and creation of the virtual machine was a breeze and installation of Mojave was easy. Took me about 25 minutes or so to create a virtual system for testing purposes. The hardest part was waitng for the Mojave to install on the virtual machine.

Created the machine. Installed Mojave. Installed Quicken (just for giggles). Used iCloud Drive to copy the installer from the physical computer to the drive of the virtual machine. Easy peasy. Parallels Desktop is on sale right now for 30% off. I used it as an opportunity to buy a copy for my office and for myself.

Robert

Robert,

This sounds like something I'd like to do. I have a 2015 MBPR that is still on Mojave and need to move onto a newer OS to accommodate some new software. At the same time that will nuke a couple of legacy applications that need to run on a 32 bit system. So, I'm wondering where you get the Mojave installer to install on the virtual machine. I looked at Apple's support site but the downloads there are labelled as "updaters", not installers. Presumably a new virtual machine created by Parallels would be completely empty. Do I have that wrong? If you could give me a little guidance on the process I'd appreciate it.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Golfer
Date: November 26, 2021 07:32PM
This gets me the installer.
Date: November 27, 2021 11:09AM
Davester,

Unlike VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion, Parallels found the installer for Mojave from the recovery partition of my existing system. It's what the other packages were supposed to do but were unable to do so.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020