advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Get Back" is fantastic!
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 27, 2021 10:05AM
That is all. I smiled for hours ... non-stop.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Get Back" is fantastic!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 27, 2021 10:12AM
Looking forward to it. Might have to wait until tomorrow tho.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 27, 2021 11:22AM
Watched Part 1 last night. Will do Part 2 tonight. Very impressive, though I must admit I was a little disappointed with a couple of aspects of it, to be discussed at another time.

Enjoy!
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 27, 2021 12:41PM
Amazing footage. Could have been shorter be a third.
I found the 16mm upresing super distracting (and hilarious that they added grain to their empty restaurant reenactment.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2021 03:32PM by jonny.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 27, 2021 01:22PM
jonny

This is what the local TV reviewer said. He got sick of hearing the same song, even a classic Beatles one.

I'll probably still buy a Dis+ subscription and check it out - it just looks irresistible.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 27, 2021 01:41PM
"local TV reviewer"
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 27, 2021 03:29PM
Interesting view into their last real collaboration. Sure didn't seem like a group that was imploding. They had some artistic differences, but just seeing them play together, it wasn't parallel play at all. Part I ended on a sour note, though. George just looked really sad in the last segment - and then he was gone. Hope Part II or III goes into what contributed to that upheaval.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 27, 2021 03:31PM
pdq
jonny

This is what the local TV reviewer said. He got sick of hearing the same song, even a classic Beatles one.

I'll probably still buy a Dis+ subscription and check it out - it just looks irresistible.

I think Jackson was too in love with his own access. Including – and titling - every impromptu song snippet they happened to strum.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 27, 2021 04:15PM
jonny
pdq
jonny

I think Jackson was too in love with his own access. Including – and titling - every impromptu song snippet they happened to strum.

What did you expect? Jackson is the same fellow who converted the short Tolkien novella called The Hobbit into 3 full movies...

I expect my Better Half will love this.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 27, 2021 04:22PM
I think Jackson might have had to deal with Yoko

"Don't make me look bad"

So they took out any interferance she might have done. She's just sitting there, but there seems to be something missing.

I'd like to see a fan edit this and the original Let It Be together. I have a feeling the truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle!

As far as being too long...I'll call this the fan edit. I guess there will be a 2 hours BluRay version that was screened in London and NY!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: decay
Date: November 27, 2021 04:56PM
just GIMME SOME TRUTH, man!

---
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 27, 2021 09:40PM
We just watched the first segment.
I agree that it should have been trimmed to about two hours.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 27, 2021 10:08PM
I just finished watching the first part. I came away feeling a lot of different emotions, being that these guys pretty much set me on my musical path and subsequent 25 year career when I was a teenager. My wife bailed after about an hour and a half. She was never a real Beatles fan as she grew up and hence wasn't familiar with the back story so she got bored, which I could understand, given what I saw.

I had contradicting opinions on the length. Did it feel long to me and sometimes a bit boring? Sure, but when I thought about it as a documentary, a record showing the gist of each day and what transpired I understood what I was watching and at times I was feeling the frustration others there probably were feeling. Then at times the brilliance of their talent, even in the rough came through and my jaw dropped numerous times.

Watching them actually create the songs was spellbinding for me. My wife even realized what was happening as they created the songs she knew and she remarked a few times how amazing it was to actually be able to see it happening.

I think I and probably many musicians could identify with all the emotions that manifested in the first part. If you were ever in a good band with talented musicians creating original music you probably experienced the adversarial lows of egos and control and the extreme highs a band experiences when writing with partners and the music comes really together.

I came away feeling like I better understood why the things that happened, happened to them. And I came away with a lot of joy and some sadness as well. I didn't watch part 2 tonight. I actually needed to take a little break so we watched Jungle Cruise, which was a light ride and fun hoot.

JoeM
Posted by: davester
Date: November 28, 2021 01:05AM
I thought it was fantastic, and I didn't care that it was so long. It was a great expose of the sausage-making that goes into making an album. It also revealed both the brilliance of the band, especially Paul as a never-ending source of energy as he created most of the arrangements. That said, this is the music that was coming out on a daily basis in my youth when I lived in England. It still stuns me to realize that they were only together for about 12 years and broke up the year I started high school. For younger folks who don't realize how revolutionary their music was and how it advanced so much during their tenure, I perfectly understand how this might seem boringly long. Looking forward to Part II.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 28, 2021 01:19AM
[variety.com]
Posted by: mspace
Date: November 28, 2021 11:06AM
While long, to "taste" the process and not feel as though things were left out or "interpreted" is everything.
I have such a better understanding of the individuals, their dynamics, and the sense of freedom in their work.

I do hope that people who watch the whole thing might start to understand what it actually takes to create. A large number of my clients buy into the finished products they enjoy as if they "instantly " happen. When they start the Work for themselves, they change their minds about putting out the effort.

The opportunity to be the fly on the wall during the creation of classics is amazing and worth all of the time involved.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 28, 2021 09:10PM
That was really a treat to see some songs and their performances take shape. But oh that process!

I didn't fully understand the time constraint they were under but my impression is that it was an artifact of the project never having a clear vision and so it, and the time constraint created an unnecessary tension that exposed the deeper issues.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 28, 2021 09:20PM
Just finished watching part three. I did not want it to be over.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020