advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I don’t get people who won’t share recipes, tips, and cooking secrets.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 29, 2021 12:45AM
You impress them with your good cooking so they’ll have more regard for you and then piss them off by not sharing.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I don’t get people who won’t share recipes, tips, and cooking secrets.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 29, 2021 01:00AM
Guessing you are in the south. If you were up North you would get the recipe in detail with pointers whether you want it or not.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 29, 2021 01:33AM
I don’t either, and yes I am in the south as well (like Dennis).
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 29, 2021 01:54AM
Heck, I want to set up a booth with a sign that says “Ask me how I made the green beans. “
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 29, 2021 03:09AM
They won't share the recipe because they want you to keep coming back to them for more. Or, if they do share the recipe, they'll leave out one tiny ingredient or step so that your version is good but not quite as good as theirs. Basically they want to get you hooked on their cooking so they can become your "dealer".

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 29, 2021 09:30AM
KFC - 11 Secret Herbs and Spices... secret smiley

They don't want you to know how much MSG they used to get it that tasty?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 29, 2021 10:39AM
Due to the power of the internet, it’s possible to recreate most dishes with a few clues.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 29, 2021 10:44AM
They don't want you to find out that "old family recipe" is something their grandma or great grandma got out of a magazine or off a box of one of the ingredients. Many of these old recipes can be traced back to ones published in the various magazines such as Good Housekeeping, Harper Bazaar, and so on decades ago.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 29, 2021 10:52AM
JoeH
They don't want you to find out that "old family recipe" is something their grandma or great grandma got out of a magazine or off a box of one of the ingredients. Many of these old recipes can be traced back to ones published in the various magazines such as Good Housekeeping, Harper Bazaar, and so on decades ago.

Like Phoebe's Nez-lay Toloose cookies from Friends.
Date: November 29, 2021 12:16PM
JoeH
Oh yeah. My grandmother's recipe folder was filled with can labels, the sides of boxes, and partial pages from magazines. She said the magazine ones were good but the ones on product containers were usually the best ones.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 29, 2021 02:10PM
"You can have the recipe over my dead body!"

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 29, 2021 04:05PM
I'm still trying to cook like my grandmother decades later after watching her make food and I can't do it. And, boy, does it piss me off!
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 29, 2021 06:31PM
The big problem is that some of the best recipes don't really follow a recipe. It's a little bit of this, a little bit of that, etc. At least that's how my grandmother used to make her best stuff.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 30, 2021 12:11AM
Lux Interior
JoeH

Like Phoebe's Nez-lay Toloose cookies from Friends.

was just going to post that.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 30, 2021 12:12AM
And, for the record, the "German Chocolate Cake" Is actually German's Chocolate Cake, from the recipe on the German's chocolate box.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
No soup for you!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 30, 2021 04:11PM
Now Roll That Beautiful Bean Footage!

Years ago, a former girlfriend found the recipe somewhere (it was the worst of times — pre-Internet) for Mrs. Field's chocolate chip and white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies.

These are probably my two favorite cookies in the world, and despite the price, I always get one of each when I go to the Apple Store mall.

To have a plate of them was unreal.

Now, with the innerwebs and all, I found a recipe that claims to make fries identical to McDonald's fries.

It's very empowering to know that I can make a mess o' fries that are the same as McDonalds fries and I think about doing that a lot.

Then I go to Micky's and get a QPD and a large fry.

Choice is empowering.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: No soup for you!
Date: November 30, 2021 06:52PM
RAMd®d
Now, with the innerwebs and all, I found a recipe that claims to make fries identical to McDonald's fries.

It's very empowering to know that I can make a mess o' fries that are the same as McDonalds fries and I think about doing that a lot.

This would be the modern McDonald's Fries, not the original ones, correct?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020