advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
UPS Customer Service Is Shockingly Bad
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 29, 2021 11:12AM
I've been trying to contact UPS on a package for the last 24 hours.

I'm old enough to remember when you could dial the 800 number and be talking to a UPS rep in less than a minute.

Now it is some kind of automated hell where the AI can't make out your tracking number no matter how you enter it .. and they won't connect you with a "live agent" without a tracking number. Two tries on the tracking number and the whole thing hangs up on you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: UPS Customer Service Is Shockingly Bad
Posted by: rz
Date: November 29, 2021 11:26AM
chopper

I'm old enough to remember when you could dial the 800 number and be talking to a UPS rep in less than a minute.

Yeah, those days are gone at pretty much every company.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 29, 2021 11:31AM
Seems like FedEx and UPS sold their souls down at the crossroads. I imagine, Amazon is in possession of them.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 29, 2021 12:00PM
Everything about their logistics dictates procedure over adaptation. Customer service is the victim. And I never ship anything I can’t afford to throw away unless there’s a lot of insurance on it to overcome the financial loss. I once shipped something UPS ruined, and blamed me for how it was packaged. Not one iota of acknowledgement for their role in crushing the box en route.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 29, 2021 12:02PM
FedEx (I think) you can still call and just say representative and get connected.

But yes, UPS is a ****ing nightmare to get a real person on the phone.

They delivered my package to the wrong address (it went to a Home Depot 40-ish miles away) and even after entering the tracking number, you need some magic to get a hold of a real person.

At least once I did get a real person on the phone, I did get a call back from the local hub, but they just tell you what you want to hear. "A driver will go pick up the package and re-deliver it". Um, yea right, a Home Depot employee either put that package in returns and it got re-stocked or whatever Home Depot does (since it was a product they sell), or an employee took it home...

After the 2nd time of going through that, I gave up since I'd gotten a "credit" from the "seller" (btw, Mercari's customer service also sucks in this situation, eBay would have given me a refund, but Mercari just gave me "store credit" that had to be used in 90 days).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 12:03PM by Gareth.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 29, 2021 12:16PM
The drivers have the local numbers to the distribution centers. Whether they will give them to you is another story, but as a business customer I was able to get it. I only use it for absolute emergencies, you don't want to get on their bad side.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 29, 2021 12:36PM
Gone are the days when I had my UPS drivers home number (pre-cell phone days)... and if something was REALLY amiss, he could get me on the right track.
In the 8-10 years he was my UPS driver, I only had to call him ONCE... it was a firearms shipment that "disappeared", and he got me on the phone to exactly the right person - the person that was investigating some missing firearms shipments!
It mysteriously showed up two days later.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 29, 2021 01:29PM
I was able to get through to a human with the old "say 'agent' over and over again at each prompt" trick just a few weeks ago.

Posted by: chopper
Date: November 29, 2021 01:58PM
I bet I said "agent" 50-75 times this morning alone.

"I understand you want to talk to an agent but please enter your tracking number ..." (Enter number)

"I didn't get that. Call back when you have a tracking number."

Click.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 29, 2021 03:50PM
[gethuman.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 29, 2021 03:57PM
All too common. The thinking seems to be something like this: If you have a problem, our automated system will take care of it. If not, we've put up a wall to restrict access so you can't talk to our humans, which costs us money. If we keep you running in a phone-tree circle, you'll eventually give up and stop bothering us. We have your money. We are done here.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 29, 2021 04:29PM
customer service? what the hell are you talking about?
the forwarded phone calls to the Philippines?
I'm better off asking Owen.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 29, 2021 05:14PM
lost in space
All too common. The thinking seems to be something like this: If you have a problem, our automated system will take care of it. If not, we've put up a wall to restrict access so you can't talk to our humans, which costs us money. If we keep you running in a phone-tree circle, you'll eventually give up and stop bothering us. We have your money. We are done here.

This is sort of how I feel about Walmart's locked display cases. They have a button to call someone with a key. Nobody ever shows. You catch an employee walking by and ask them to open it, and "I don't have the key".

I expect the long term result to be some bean counter noticing "nobody is buying these items, we should stop stocking them".
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 30, 2021 12:06AM
GGD
lost in space

This is sort of how I feel about Walmart's locked display cases. They have a button to call someone with a key. Nobody ever shows. You catch an employee walking by and ask them to open it, and "I don't have the key".

I expect the long term result to be some bean counter noticing "nobody is buying these items, we should stop stocking them".

Walmart does not carry dental floss.

Seriously.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 30, 2021 06:55AM
GGD
… You catch an employee walking by and ask them to open it, and "I don't have the key". …

John Oliver warned us about this in his episode about Union busting. A leaked “training” video by Target (I think) said that if the store became unionized staff might be prevented from helping customers outside of their area.

So Oliver made a mock video depicting staff telling customers outside their area of just eff-off.

“But all I need is help reaching this item.”
“Go to hell.”

On second thought maybe Walmart should become unionized if management thinks that’s what would happen. Seems to be what they want.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 30, 2021 07:03AM

Seriously.

Maybe their customers don't floss?
smiley-laughing001

EDIT: they seem to floss in my area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 07:09AM by space-time.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 30, 2021 10:43AM
space-time

Seriously.

Maybe their customers don't floss?
smiley-laughing001

EDIT: they seem to floss in my area

They don't sell floss in their grocery stores, which is what I use. I've asked the help about this, and they told me they haven't sold it in years.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: November 30, 2021 01:21PM
yeah, it's in the pharmacy, oral/dental hygiene section.

=TC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020