advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
College Football: The Sky is Falling at Oklahoma & Norte Dame
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 29, 2021 09:52PM
What is it with these winning programs at these major schools losing their coaches? I thought those guys were firmly committed to their schools, especially Brian Kelly?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: College Football: The Sky is Falling at Oklahoma & Norte Dame
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 29, 2021 10:35PM
As far as I can tell, the only thing they are committed to is $$$.

Lincoln Riley seems to be running AWAY from the SEC in 2025.
OTOH he would have an easier path to the playoff than thru the SEC.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 29, 2021 11:06PM
Kelly put out the bid a few weeks ago when asked if he'd ever leave ND. He said no unless a 'fairy godmother' came along with a $250,000,000 check - then he'd run it by his wife.

Looks like the 'godmother' understood that language.
Date: November 29, 2021 11:12PM
But I thought Kelly was Irish and ND was his dream job. Wasn't he happy there? He was being paid well, and winning games....I don't get it.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 29, 2021 11:18PM
He'll make amends by depositing that check in the Vatican Bank.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 30, 2021 03:09AM
Carnos Jax
But I thought Kelly was Irish and ND was his dream job. Wasn't he happy there? He was being paid well, and winning games....I don't get it.

Plus he's replacing a guy (Ed Ogeron) that went undefeated and won the national championship less than 2 years ago. Crazy.
Date: November 30, 2021 04:01AM
And with a Heisman Trophy recipient to boot! Only Alabama fans are crazier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 04:02AM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 30, 2021 04:39AM
Meanwhile, Jim Harbaugh's Michigan Wolverines ended the ten year drought
and beat the Ohio State Buckeyes, 42-27 in "The Game".

Amazing what a $8M salary (for 2021) & 5 year contract will do!
RollingEyesSmiley5

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Date: November 30, 2021 04:47AM
And they beat a No. 2 Ohio State at that, in the process eliminating Ohio from the playoffs and inserting themselves instead (possibly). Almost makes up for the last 10 years of losses!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 30, 2021 05:50AM
Kelly was msking $5 million a year at ND
LSU paid Ogeron $9 million

Do the math...

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 30, 2021 08:19AM
A prescient article from 2009.

[bleacherreport.com]

Will Luke Fickell follow in Kelly's footsteps? He'd probably have to make the decision before any possible playoff.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 30, 2021 09:54AM
Lincoln Riley: OK made the stupid decision to move to the SEC in a few years. Several excellent coaches have been churned and burned in this hyper competitive conference. Dan Mullen, Florida Coach just got fired despite having a good season and got a contract extension a year ago. Now Riley and his family get to enjoy Southern California sun, beaches, and lifestyle over Stillwater Oklahoma. He will coach USC against tough teams like Utah, Oregon vs. week in and week out of SEC teams. I predict Oklahoma will become like Florida. They will be good but Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn will rule the roost.

As for Kelly, it will be easier to sign players that don’t need to stand the academic rigor that ND demands. It’s amazing he was successful as he was. ND truly expect their athletes to be actual students.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Diana
Date: November 30, 2021 12:36PM
Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State? OU, or OSU? Oklahoma (OU) is in Norman; Oklahoma State ((OSU) is in Stillwater, about 90 miles or so away from Norman. They are rivals, and fans wear either the Crimson, or the Orange, and are either Sooners or Cowboys. Get it straight.

And yes, follow the $$$$$.
Date: November 30, 2021 02:06PM
pRICE cUBE
Lincoln Riley: OK made the stupid decision to move to the SEC in a few years. Several excellent coaches have been churned and burned in this hyper competitive conference. Dan Mullen, Florida Coach just got fired despite having a good season and got a contract extension a year ago. Now Riley and his family get to enjoy Southern California sun, beaches, and lifestyle over Stillwater Oklahoma. He will coach USC against tough teams like Utah, Oregon vs. week in and week out of SEC teams. I predict Oklahoma will become like Florida. They will be good but Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn will rule the roost.

As for Kelly, it will be easier to sign players that don’t need to stand the academic rigor that ND demands. It’s amazing he was successful as he was. ND truly expect their athletes to be actual students.

Sorry, I get the two mixed up. Either town is definitely not the San Angeles metro area. Depends on what you want out of life. College town where football is the biggest show in town or be a side show in a huge metro area with a crazy amount of things to do.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: November 30, 2021 02:08PM
Ombligo
Kelly was msking $5 million a year at ND
LSU paid Ogeron $9 million

Do the math...

ND also has higher academic standards for their student athletes which can make it more difficult to recruit and keep academically eligible. LSU is about football and football first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 02:08PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: November 30, 2021 03:42PM
Don’t be surprised if Urban Meyer ends up at ND. There has been mutual flirtation in the past. It would be better for him to leave than wait to get fired by the Jaguars.

Date: November 30, 2021 08:04PM
That LSU contract is a multi year contract but few coaches last long in the SEC.

Dan Mullen was fired from Florida after 3 seasons. He led Florida to the SEC Eastern Division championship 2020. That’s HARD to accomplish. He just got fired. SEC is a crazy conference.

Posted by: vision63
Date: December 01, 2021 02:40PM
pRICE cUBE
That LSU contract is a multi year contract but few coaches last long in the SEC.

Dan Mullen was fired from Florida after 3 seasons. He led Florida to the SEC Eastern Division championship 2020. That’s HARD to accomplish. He just got fired. SEC is a crazy conference.

Georgia has the longest lasting coaches in the SEC. Kirby Smart, 5 years, Mark Richt since at least 2001. Had to battle the Floridas, Alabamas etc. They're in a good position right now. I'm looking forward the their game against Alabama on Saturday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020