advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gas usage/mileage from Long Beach, Ca to Oregon in 98 Toyota Sienna Van
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 02, 2021 12:20PM
I am going to drive to Oregon from Southern California in the Toyota Sienna van that has 137,000 miles. It has good tires. Having them rotated and balanced now. Had to have Allen tire turn off the tire light by pushing the button under dash and having light blink 3 times. American tire doesn’t know that???? The car has only been driven 4,000 miles the last 2 years. I buy all my gas at Costco. And this vehicle with its 6 cylinder and weight doesn’t get the best gas mileage.

2 questions:

1. What others things should I check before leaving on the road

2. Would it be ok and or safe to carry a large gas can /plastic in the vehicle to assure I make it from gas station to gas station?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gas usage/mileage from Long Beach, Ca to Oregon in 98 Toyota Sienna Van
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 02, 2021 12:24PM
Microman
2. Would it be ok and or safe to carry a large gas can /plastic in the vehicle to assure I make it from gas station to gas station?

NO!!! Are you driving on less traveled roads? If you're going up the 5, you're not going to have issues finding gas.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 02, 2021 12:34PM
Wash and wax the car. Make sure you remove any non-aerodynamic stuff (like junk on the roof rack you don't need) off the van. Reduce weight in the vehicle.. no junk in the trunk. Make sure the tires are at proper operating pressure. Make sure the engine oil is clean and reasonably fresh. Make sure the transmission fluid is reasonably clean. When was it last flushed and refilled ? Make sure the engine air cleaner is tidy. Replace if it looks dirty.

You can carry a jerry-can in your vehicle provided it's placed inside a plastic tote to catch any possible spills. BUT.. it will smell. It does reduce your safety. I don't recommend it. My Mom spilled a gas can in her Subaru. I inherited the car, and the smell, even after aggressive cleaning, still bothers me.

[www.autoexpress.co.uk]
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 02, 2021 12:35PM
Check radiator fluid level, brake fluid level, brakes, washer fluid, wiper blades. Check for burned out lightbulbs. Get an oil change.

Don't worry about gas. You will be stopping every 2-3 hours for food and to P. You can fill up then. Do not restrict your gas purchases to Costco for this trip. That is silly. Do NOT carry extra gas inside or outside the van. That is ok if you just drive to the nearest gas station for lawnmower gas but not for a high speed road trip, unless you are trying to prove Darwin's theory.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 02, 2021 12:39PM
Microman
I am going to drive to Oregon from Southern California in the Toyota Sienna van that has 137,000 miles. It has good tires. Having them rotated and balanced now. Had to have Allen tire turn off the tire light by pushing the button under dash and having light blink 3 times. American tire doesn’t know that???? The car has only been driven 4,000 miles the last 2 years. I buy all my gas at Costco. And this vehicle with its 6 cylinder and weight doesn’t get the best gas mileage.

2 questions:

1. What others things should I check before leaving on the road
A) All fluid levels: Oil, coolant, transmission fluid (see owner's manual for exact procedure), brake, and power steering. Top off any that are low with appropriate manufacturer's spec refills.

B) All tire pressures, including the spare, while cold. Yes they should have checked this during the rotate & balance, but it never hurts to double-check plus tire places don't usually check the spare's inflation unless specifically asked to.

Microman
It should be okay, but gas cans are vented so you'll probably get a whiff of gas now and again. Open windows will help. Also plastic gas cans don't usually seal all that well around their lids or breather holes, so putting it in a tray with a rim, a large pan, or something similar to catch any spills or drips will help protect your carpet... just in case.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 12:39PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 02, 2021 12:46PM
modelamac
Do not restrict your gas purchases to Costco for this trip. That is silly.

And probably impossible to actually accomplish.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 02, 2021 12:57PM
Is it too late to have alignment checked while it's at the tire store?

Edit: Some full service tire chains have a trip checklist that will cover all fluids and lights.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 12:59PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 02, 2021 01:00PM
Your credit card will get you whatever you need.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 02, 2021 01:12PM
Gareth
NO!!! Are you driving on less traveled roads? If you're going up the 5, you're not going to have issues finding gas.

this times 100.

There should be a Costco at good intervals too. Gas in Kettleman, gas in woodland (costco)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 02, 2021 01:14PM
You can easily spend enough in preparation to offset any savings in fuel costs. But maybe you're more concerned with getting to the next fuel stop. I've driven from So Cal to WA--though not in one trip--using smaller freeways like 101 and had no problem finding gas but not at Costcos. You can probably expect about 24 MPG in your Sienna if you keep your speeds down. Even an extra 5 MPH can make a considerable difference.

Posted by: pqrst
Date: December 02, 2021 01:16PM
I would add a harbor freight tire pump , battery jumper pack. Not only is it convenient to use for jumping a dead battery but the tire pump and usb output are useful in more isolated stretches of roads. Even with AAA road side service, it can take hours to someone to your location.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 02, 2021 01:28PM
That isn't a particularly long drive. 12-14hrs ish. Easy one day drive each way. I wouldn't do anything other than regular maintenance if it would be due up when traveling.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: wave rider
Date: December 02, 2021 02:12PM
Does the Sienna have the V6 that needs the camshaft belt that should be changed every 65K miles? At 137K, you might be due…

=wr=
Posted by: davester
Date: December 02, 2021 02:35PM
Not sure what you're worried about. 137k miles is not particularly high mileage for modern vehicles and Oregon to So Cal is not that long a drive. The only exception might be if you haven't been maintaining it properly, especially in regards to the required 60k mile timing belt changes. Heck, I've done much longer road trips in our Mercedes SUV with 250k on the clock. Do heed the advice about the roof rack and rooftop luggage though...those things kill gas mileage. Also, restricting yourself to Costco gas on a road trip is plain silly.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 02:38PM by davester.
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 02, 2021 03:09PM
Great advice, no gas inside vehicle
Not all gas to be purchased from a Costco

Bought this van from neighbor and she had engine replaced just after warranty went out to cover the TSB, technical service bulletin. And will try to keep at a legal speed or lower, say 60-65. I am actually having another car (Honda), follow along , as we are moving granddaughter back down with her 1 and 1/2 yr old and her 5 day old. So other car can be a safe environment for car sears and such and van can be for granddaughters personal items
Date: December 02, 2021 04:31PM
Speed limit is 70 on most of 5. =)

Agreed its a simple trip, But its a looooong trip if you are going all the way to Portland. (I didn't see where in OR) plenty of great places to stop. Have made the trip from LB (Go jackrabbits!) to Sac about 10000000 times.

Just over grapevine there's a huge outlet/gas food place. Kettlman city is the halfway point between LB and Sacramento. Dont stop in Stockton or Sacramento, there's nothing. Go to Woodland, there's a strip with Costco/gas.

We have made the trip from Sac to Grants pass a ton of times as well, but only Portland a few times.

you didn't say what part of OR, but after Sac, its about 4 hours to Phoenix, some good stops, about the halfway mark to Portland. Grants pass is fine too, but meh. No stops in Salem.

Again Depends on your end destination.

Sounds like some story to be moving with 3 small ones and a single(?) mom...

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 02, 2021 04:38PM
jdc
Speed limit is 70 on most of 5. =)

Agreed its a simple trip, But its a looooong trip if you are going all the way to Portland. (I didn't see where in OR) plenty of great places to stop. Have made the trip from LB (Go jackrabbits!) to Sac about 10000000 times.

Just over grapevine there's a huge outlet/gas food place. Kettlman city is the halfway point between LB and Sacramento. Dont stop in Stockton or Sacramento, there's nothing. Go to Woodland, there's a strip with Costco/gas.

We have made the trip from Sac to Grants pass a ton of times as well, but only Portland a few times.

you didn't say what part of OR, but after Sac, its about 4 hours to Phoenix, some good stops, about the halfway mark to Portland. Grants pass is fine too, but meh. No stops in Salem.

Again Depends on your end destination.

Sounds like some story to be moving with 3 small ones and a single(?) mom...

Think it's 2 little ones, 1-1/2 and 5 days.
Posted by: Pat
Date: December 02, 2021 05:13PM
I don't go beyond Kettleman City, but several sections of the 5 between the 5/99 split and Kettleman City have some pretty nasty potholes.

The temp southbound lanes in the construction zone south of Kettleman are interesting. Probably less noticeable in a car, but coming back with no weight in my pickup coupled with the long wheel base ensures both hands are on the wheel.

As jdc said, the speed limit is 70. The semis will be passing you at 60-65. Don't speed through Frazier Park/Lebec in either direction unless you enjoy chatting with CHP.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 02, 2021 05:35PM
Hopefully you have cruise control, that will help keep your gas mileage up.
==
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 02, 2021 09:43PM
Buzz
==

The number of people in vehicles that likely HAVE cruise control and obviously aren't using it are astounding.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 02, 2021 09:50PM
1998? Check belts and hoses, maybe timing belt if this car has one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 09:54PM by space-time.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 02, 2021 09:56PM
with her 1 and 1/2 yr old and her 5 day old.

Never mind, I just realized it’s 2 kids, not 3. I see someone else made the same error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 09:58PM by space-time.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 02, 2021 10:21PM
There is an app called GasBuddy. Gas is usually a little cheaper a little away from the Interstate.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 02, 2021 10:24PM
I-5 is faster. Hwy 99 is less mind numbingly boring. Slightly...
You won't have any trouble getting gas along either route.
Just get gas when you hit 1/4 tank.

I'd suggest staying out of the Bay Area, and going through Sacramento instead.

If you're heading for the Oregon Coast, 101 is the best route. Come over Hwy 20 from I-5/Hwy 99, then up 101 to Oregon.
If you stop in Eureka, I can suggest some decent places for dinner.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 03, 2021 11:01AM
One thing I remembered... there can be snow/ice on I-5 on the passes through Southern Oregon any time the temperature is below 40°F in cities like Medford or Grants Pass.

Oregon supposedly requires you to carry chains, or have ice/snow rated traction tires year round. You will usually only get ticketed if you are causing a hazard like being stopped/spun-out on the shoulder.

The 10 day forecast on WUnderground says it should stay above freezing until 12/9.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 03, 2021 11:46AM
Buzz
==

Im always on mine -- even use my cruise control on surface streets.

But had to turn off the "adaptive" part, it just makes me go fast and slow fast and slow fast and slow based on whatever moron is in front of me doing the same. Its great for the rare times I might sit in bumper to bumper traffic, but any other time its kind of a PITA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020