advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I miss Newton
Posted by: srf1957
Date: December 04, 2021 12:35AM
The topics seem to drag without . Don't think all are great . But it fills time on boring days reading them.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I miss Newton
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 04, 2021 12:38AM
I was noticing the lack of Newt posts...

Was there a coup or some such? Was someone @#$%& talking Newt and he/she bailed?
Or is this a quiet period of unknown cause?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Diana
Date: December 04, 2021 01:06AM
I believe that Newt got tired of certain people (and it appeared to be the same ones nearly every time) who complained of the lack of content in his/her posts; puns and alliterations that they didn’t get or they thought was beneath them or otherwise juvenile; television updates that concerned stuff they wouldn’t watch (never mind that others might find such info interesting or timely); and in some cases, almost as if it was Newt himself/herself they objected to. Anyone would get tired of it. Once one started, the others appeared to pile on.

When Newt pointed it out on the forum, no one (or not enough people) took it seriously and after a while Newt just walked away. I hope that she/he comes back, as I found the posts sometimes interesting, sometimes a reminder of something I needed to do, sometimes thought provoking, and yes, sometimes irritating but rarely banal. A certain flavor to the forum is missing, and we are poorer for it.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 04, 2021 01:29AM
She
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 04, 2021 02:00AM
what she said.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 04, 2021 02:06AM
Newt was a positive add to this place, how she found the time will always mystify me.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 04, 2021 03:01AM
I asked 3 weeks ago! [forums.macresource.com]

Maybe she got married or became a mother or overwhelmed by the cats?
Wasn't there someone here having other contact with her?
dunno smiley

btw, you can always get TV listings @ TitanTV

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 04, 2021 05:18AM
I read all of Newt’s posts. They kept me informed enough about show biz to be able to hold a conversation with my SO. The others were usually very humorous. Some were real groaners.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 04, 2021 06:12AM
Nobody can land a double entendre quite like Newt. I hope all is well with her and that she returns soon.
Posted by: Frank
Date: December 04, 2021 06:52AM
Lemon Drop
Nobody can land a double entendre quite like Newt. I hope all is well with her and that she returns soon.

I agree. Miss her.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 04, 2021 07:22AM
My life balance has improved, I spend less time on this forum and more time away from laptop. I no longer have to go to page 2 to find new unread relevant topics.

I wish she would come back and post normal posts, not every little thing she came across.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 04, 2021 07:33AM
I enjoyed the TV posts. I would have missed several things without them. Granted they didn’t have anything to do with Mac tech but neither do many other posts here.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 04, 2021 08:01AM
Has science discovered a cure for Witzelsucht?

I've missed not having a Newton for several decades. (link shows several ads for Apple's Newton)

Todd's rarely bored with these keys
Posted by: August West
Date: December 04, 2021 08:31AM
Frank
Lemon Drop

I agree. Miss her.

+1

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 04, 2021 08:38AM
Diana
I believe that Newt got tired of certain people (and it appeared to be the same ones nearly every time) who complained of the lack of content in his/her posts; puns and alliterations that they didn’t get or they thought was beneath them or otherwise juvenile; television updates that concerned stuff they wouldn’t watch (never mind that others might find such info interesting or timely); and in some cases, almost as if it was Newt himself/herself they objected to. Anyone would get tired of it. Once one started, the others appeared to pile on.

When Newt pointed it out on the forum, no one (or not enough people) took it seriously and after a while Newt just walked away. I hope that she/he comes back, as I found the posts sometimes interesting, sometimes a reminder of something I needed to do, sometimes thought provoking, and yes, sometimes irritating but rarely banal. A certain flavor to the forum is missing, and we are poorer for it.

What Diana said.

I don't understand why, if you're not interested in a particular post, you can just skip over it... nobody is forcing anyone to read and/or comment on anything.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 10:37AM by PeterB.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 04, 2021 09:29AM
PeterB
Diana

What Diana said.

I don't understand why, if you're not interested in a particular post, you can't just skip over it... nobody is forcing anyone to read and/or comment on anything.

This 100%. I’m not a big TV fan so just prioritized other content. Her subject lines were clear AND funny IMHO.

MRF is a poorer place without her. I hope we consider how we treated her and think about how we like to be treated.

I’d like to have her wonderful voice back but only if she feels comfortable and rewarded.
Date: December 04, 2021 09:53AM
While some of her posts could be tiresome, I never vocalized that opinion (except that one time on the other side when she posted a very click-baity thread and EVERYBODY jumped on her). I will say the forum seems easier to read these days as there seems to be less static (whether that’s due to Newt’s absence or not I don’t know).
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: December 04, 2021 10:20AM
For those who were offended/irritated by her posts there was always the "Ignore this user" button.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 04, 2021 10:26AM
To s-t's point, the way that the forum is set up, we miss lots of posts that get pushed to the second page. And once those posts are on the second page, they're essentially dead. No one replies. So, it's a problem of formatting.
Date: December 04, 2021 10:27AM
MindMeld
For those who were offended/irritated by her posts there was always the "Ignore this user" button.

Everyone knew that, I think the attitudes ran much deeper.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: December 04, 2021 10:47AM
Look, I miss her, but I think she abused the forum. I wish she would come back and post about 1/4 of what she did on normal days.

there was one particular day where she posted like 20 posts in a span of an hour or so. That's what triggered that debate. That was NOT OK.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 04, 2021 11:01AM
I don’t see what’s so hard about skipping over posts you don’t want to see, 10 or 20, or even 50. I do it all the time.
Posted by: d4
Date: December 04, 2021 11:05AM
Newt is similar to someone who walks into a room with HEAVY HEAVY perfume. She likes the smell. She thinks everyone will like the smell. And hey, If you don't like the smell, just ignore it!

Date: December 04, 2021 11:05AM
I think anyone, other than the owner and/or moderator, who is seriously claiming another's "abuse" of the forum needs to revisit their critical thinking abilities. Opinions are like @$$holes, we've all got them.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 04, 2021 11:12AM
As forum pun threads here show, forum members routinely produce good quality wordplay. This differs from typing any sort of distant idle word association disguised as cleverness.

As someone who has posted TV scheduling, it's easy. Mine include comments instead of just cut and paste. Try it yourself if you think anyone is interested.

Lame attempts at clickbait headlines are just obscure, not clever and are the signature of omnipresent bad internet.

I put him on ignore years ago. That didn't stop him from crowding the forum with dull junk posts, muscling out any worthwhile discussion.

Those posts seemed to be akin to low-level harassment from another place in an effort to kill this forum.

If you want actual good puns, you can do it.
If you wish TV listing, you can do it.
As you know real intelligent comment is welcomed here.
So do it yourself.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 04, 2021 11:15AM
One less person posting here means that this forum is one day closer to dying.

Seriously

There used to be two or three pages of new threads every day.

Now there are two or three days worth of new threads on one page...
Date: December 04, 2021 11:20AM
August West
I think anyone, other than the owner and/or moderator, who is seriously claiming another's "abuse" of the forum needs to revisit their critical thinking abilities. Opinions are like @$$holes, we've all got them.

Thanks
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 04, 2021 11:21AM
We can use more posters. Hey I miss lafayetepete (sp?) but not a whole lot.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 04, 2021 11:38AM
Newt is part of the tapestry here, and not a troll. Chasing her off is our loss.

I keep my opinion to myself about specific people active on the form, but since she seems to have left for now, I'll offer this: I do wish for her sake she would read the room to keep the posting a little more restrained. The complaints only flare up when there's a bunch of posts in a short time. But they would, and do, flare at any one of us who posts too often on one theme.
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 04, 2021 11:58AM
I miss her posts.
Date: December 04, 2021 11:59AM
Acer
Newt is part of the tapestry here, and not a troll. Chasing her off is our loss.

I keep my opinion to myself about specific people active on the form, but since she seems to have left for now, I'll offer this: I do wish for her sake she would read the room to keep the posting a little more restrained. The complaints only flare up when there's a bunch of posts in a short time. But they would, and do, flare at any one of us who posts too often on one theme.

Really well said.

Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 04, 2021 12:03PM
MindMeld

^^^ This...

Wow... It's a case of don't know what you are missing until it is gone.

I did enjoy the TV and entertainment posts but could take or leave the little quirky replies in posts. They became like internet ads on a web page - glance quickly and keep it moving.

Her posts didn't irritate me to the point of a click of "Ignore This User" but now that she is gone, sure.... do miss.... those ..... little .....quirky..... posts.....
Posted by: robfilms
Date: December 04, 2021 12:04PM
Newt was a BIG PLUS.

all good.

stay well.

rob
Posted by: SteveO
Date: December 04, 2021 12:07PM
Saw the subject line and I thought this was going to be about the Apple Newton PDA! smiley-laughing001

I never had one but always thought the concept was cool. I did really like the eMate thing, that seemed like a cool little gizmo. I'd have to guess "our" Newton has an obvious healthy appreciation for these PDAs, too! smiley-music039

"Does Newt post too much"...there were some real groaners yeah but I also laughed at a lot of them. I ignored the ones I didn't care for.

I don't get on here a lot these days due to time constraints, but TBF, the point about 15-20 posts in a day, all OT, I can get behind that. Too much imo for a public forum of this one's stated nature.

Just being objective, and just my opine. No offense to anyone. I hate to see generally well-liked Forumites leave, though. I also hope that Newt returns.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 04, 2021 12:25PM
If you miss these valued posts, why don't you start doing them yourself?

I've done both TV and punning...it's easy, even for no-talents as myself. Or is it so trivial you wouldn't lift a finger to do it?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 04, 2021 01:30PM
d4
Newt is similar to someone who walks into a room with HEAVY HEAVY perfume. She likes the smell. She thinks everyone will like the smell. And hey, If you don't like the smell, just ignore it!

on point analogy.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: December 04, 2021 01:35PM
freeradical
One less person posting here means that this forum is one day closer to dying.

Seriously

There used to be two or three pages of new threads every day.

Now there are two or three days worth of new threads on one page...

I don’t go to a lot of forums, but those I do randomly come across on the Internet, this place is far more lively than any of them. However forums are a hallmark of our age. If forums are dying, that is because the younger generation doesn’t really do them. Almost consistently all forums I’ve seen are made up of older individuals. Forums like this and others are only shrinking because we are getting older and moving on, and there is no one to replace us as the younguns don’t care for it as a form of media.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 04, 2021 01:41PM
Carnos Jax
I don’t go to a lot of forums, but those I do randomly come across on the Internet, this place is far more lively than any of them. However forums are a hallmark of our age. If forums are dying, that is because the younger generation doesn’t really do them. Almost consistently all forums I’ve seen are made up of older individuals. Forums like this and others are only shrinking because we are getting older and moving on, and there is no one to replace us as the younguns don’t care for it as a form of media.

OTOH, there is Reddit which in many ways is a similar format. I wonder what the average redditor age is?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: December 04, 2021 01:54PM
Yeah Reddit and slashdot are different beasts, probably a more evolved format.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 04, 2021 02:05PM
so far their has only been 2(?) dissenters? 1 I have on ignore.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: December 04, 2021 02:47PM
Need moderators like on theOur Beloved Oregon Duck forums any trolling or casting shade and your out .
Posted by: davec
Date: December 04, 2021 03:03PM
I also miss Newt's posts. She added color and zest to the forum. I would simply scroll past any posts or threads that I was not interested in. I do wish her well.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 04, 2021 03:03PM
d4

That's what I do. I ignore it.

Because it's something that makes her life a little lighter and pointing out that it annoys me will just darken her day, and maybe if I give it a chance I'll appreciate it more.

...Unless I'm allergic. Then I excuse myself and leave the room. It's certainly not her fault that I have this problem.

Posted by: chopper
Date: December 04, 2021 03:11PM
<<Newt is similar to someone who walks into a room with HEAVY HEAVY perfume. She likes the smell. She thinks everyone will like the smell. And hey, If you don't like the smell, just ignore it!>>

100%.
Date: December 04, 2021 03:17PM
Clearly she is mentally ill or has suffered a head injury.

I'm sorry that she is mentally ill or suffered a head injury of some kind but her inability to edit herself or stop herself from posting that crap was only getting worse by the day.

[en.wikipedia.org]

neurological symptoms characterized by a tendency to make puns, or tell inappropriate jokes or pointless stories in socially inappropriate situations.

Patients do not understand that their behavior is abnormal, therefore they are nonresponsive to others' reactions. This disorder is most commonly seen in patients with frontal lobe damage, particularly right frontal lobe tumors or trauma.
Posted by: Diana
Date: December 04, 2021 03:21PM
Sarcany
d4

That's what I do. I ignore it.

Because it's something that makes her life a little lighter and pointing out that it annoys me will just darken her day, and maybe if I give it a chance I'll appreciate it more.

...Unless I'm allergic. Then I excuse myself and leave the room. It's certainly not her fault that I have this problem.

As someone who has allergy issues with other’s heavy perfumes, equating her posts to a heavy perfume is a bit … shall we say … not really applicable. I could just ignore the posts, and it does nothing more than just provide me with a slight bother—just ignore the post. The perfume, however, may cause either an allergic response that continues for several hours (or more) or causes me to have to leave, and thus impact what I CAN do. The first is a slight bother, and the second can result in something from a headache and breathing problems to migraine.

If it allows her to live her life a little lighter, if it helps her, then what’s the problem for me? Everyone needs a place, and she was given the impression that she wasn’t wanted here.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 04, 2021 03:32PM
chopper
Clearly she is mentally ill or has suffered a head injury.

Thank you, doctor. </sarcasm>

I miss Newt. People like s-t are/were hypocrites because they felt the need to respond to every post with a negative one of their own.
Date: December 04, 2021 03:36PM
I spoke to someone at OWC once when making an order. Even they were frustrated by her posts and said they felt it was a deterrent to new people joining the forum. Who wants to join a community forum where nearly every post is by a mentally ill person spewing the same crap?

People want to cry for the loss of a forum member but maybe consider all the people who may have joined and contributed but were turned off by this being some on-line barf bag for a mentally ill person.

OWC said that they had tried to dissuade her from posting so much dribble but she could not stop.

Maybe she is getting help. I hope so.
Date: December 04, 2021 03:42PM
Actually that was the diagnosis the gal at OWC gave me. Gotta admit, it 100% fits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 03:45PM by chopper.
Date: December 04, 2021 03:51PM
Like I said, I didn’t ever openly criticize Newt’s posting style, but there was a functional problem with her posts in that they were on occasion driving many posts off the front page. Sure, you could ignore and scroll past them like I did, but it made it laborious to have to go to the second page so frequently.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020