Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Listening to Kenny G
Posted by: hal
Date: December 05, 2021 04:23PM
[www.youtube.com]

Just ran into this documentary about the remarkable success and controversy generated by Kenny G.

Not sure I'm gonna watch this one... I didn't see Pat Metheney interviewed in the promo - that should be a requirement imo...

edit: in case you never read the amazing rant from Pat Meth on KG: [www.jazzoasis.com]

I've never seen a mainstream musician attack another one like that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2021 04:27PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Listening to Kenny G
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 05, 2021 04:39PM
There’s a piece on him on NPR right now. He’s whining.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 05, 2021 04:51PM
That white text on black is fing with my eyes now!

But I agree with Pat!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 05, 2021 05:59PM
Dennis S
There’s a piece on him on NPR right now. He’s whining.

I heard that piece.

It was weird and disturbing. Felt like a very VERY long paid-promo for the movie with surprisingly little substance for something on NPR of that length.

They repeated that he was a nice guy who practiced playing a lot several times.

They ignored the most common criticism with his music, which is simply that it's uninspired and insipid, and they spun it like his critics were all jealous and mean.

Personally, I think it's okay as elevator-music. There's nothing about it that makes me want to buy one of his CDs or download/stream his music, but it's not horrible.

But now I'm questioning WTF is going on with NPR. Since when do they do extended puff-pieces??

Posted by: Wags
Date: December 05, 2021 06:01PM
He’s pretty good at circular breathing.
Posted by: Wags
Date: December 05, 2021 06:04PM
And he can play several pentatonic scales really fast.
Date: December 05, 2021 06:27PM
NPR is bad about promoting movies, TV, and new music.
Date: December 05, 2021 06:31PM
My high school friend/college roommate met him at a party but didn’t know who he was. They talked about airplanes in a corner by themselves the whole night. My friend said he was really nice.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 05, 2021 06:47PM
Pat Metheny
But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, @#$%& up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, @#$%& all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of. We ignore this, "let it slide", at our own peril.

Now tell us how you really feel!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 06, 2021 04:14PM
I like Kenny G. Not sorry.

Posted by: hal
Date: December 06, 2021 04:45PM
AllGold
I like Kenny G. Not sorry.

no need to be sorry... he wouldn't be this successful if he didn't have fans.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 06, 2021 06:18PM
I must say, however, that Pat's work was similarly dismissed when he went "pop" jazz. The infatuation with the synth guitar, for example, was, ummm, not to everyone's taste.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020