advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Airpods
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 09, 2021 11:07AM
My wife finally dropped a hint for Christmas. I think she's had it with the $10 -$20 bluetooth earbuds she's been trying to use and mentioned Airpods. The thing is, I can't imagine dropping $150+ for Airpod Pros. Is there that big a difference for someone who is not particularly fussy about sound and just wants something that works reliably? I see Generation 2 Airpods for $99 on Amazon and am leaning toward that. Anything substantially better to consider or anyplace better to get them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Airpods
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 09, 2021 11:45AM
airpods are great for what they are, i think ive seen them for less than $99... target?

they don't fit everyone well, but my family has had good luck with them

airpod pros are better, but you have to like the in ear fit. I hate it, oldest has no issue with it.

with active noise canceling, spatial audio and transparency... if shes does more then just music, or is little bit of a music afficiando, they are the better buy. worth the extra $50. $150 is $100 less than new.

one thing to note -- if she does long continuous listening... these only go 4-5 hours.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2021 12:25PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 09, 2021 11:49AM
Standard AirPods 2 are what I have. They work just fine for me. Most of us are too old to appreciate the expanded range of more expensive pods. Unless you spend a lot of time on airplanes or other very noisy areas, you can probably be fine without noise cancellation.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 09, 2021 01:10PM
AirPods Pro are wonderful--especially for travel with the noise cancelling. It really depends on your use case, and there are lot's of others that are less money, but not a convenient.
Date: December 09, 2021 01:25PM
Thanks, all. Gen 2 seems to make the most sense in her case. Limited use and not fussy about sound as long as they work. And $99 seems to be the popular price, but I'll keep my eyes open. If they prove to be uncomfortable for her, are things like that returnable?
Date: December 09, 2021 03:04PM
wurm
are things like that returnable?

yep. you could always re gift them to someone else...

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 09, 2021 03:09PM
If the old, wired AirPods worked for her, then get her the new version. If the wired ones didn't fit or stay in her ears don't bother.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: December 09, 2021 03:45PM
2G were $90 at Costco but are now $99. I believe you would have a 90 day return window if she wanted something else.
Date: December 09, 2021 03:58PM
Thank you, all.
Date: December 09, 2021 04:31PM
Well, this stinks. This afternoon while I was working I saw these for $99 at Amazon and "Order within 15 hour and XX minutes" to get them by Sunday. Now I just went to order them and it's showing "Arrives after Christmas" with a delivery date of the 28th.

Grrrr. I snoozed and I losed. And unfortunately I'm not a Costco member.

--edit--

Okay, I found them at Walmart for the same price and arrival Saturday 12/11.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2021 04:43PM by wurm.
Date: December 09, 2021 04:57PM
wurm
Okay, I found them at Walmart for the same price and arrival Saturday 12/11.

Cool -- yeah, the $99 is everywhere... I paid $89 only a week or so ago. got APPs for $159... but have seen them as little as $140 if you jump thru some hoops.

Posted by: testcase
Date: December 09, 2021 05:05PM
Isn't your wife worth the extra ~ $50??? boink smiley
Posted by: Sam3
Date: December 10, 2021 04:27AM
I think I have weird shaped ears, I never was able to get the EarPods or Airpods to give me a decent sound. The Earhoox silicon attachments finally gave me the sound that I wanted. Airpod Pros, however, work perfectly.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 10, 2021 05:37AM
There's a bunch of 2nd gens new on eBay. I'd imagine some are from the free Airpods education deal from the summer. My wife sold hers for $75 to get them out the door. It's a bit of a chance buying on eBay, of course, but it could save a few dollars.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 10, 2021 07:28AM
I picked up a pair of Airpod Pros for the 'conversation booster' to help my increasingly deaf ears. It really does help. Waiting for OTC bluetooth capable hearing aids next..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020