Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Couple of days in Seattle - any off the beaten path recommendations
Posted by: Z
Date: December 13, 2021 10:16PM
Hey all -

Our holiday travel plans are keeping us a bit closer to home than originally planned and we'll be spending Sunday thru next Friday (12/19-12/24) in Seattle. We spent a week in and around Seattle-Bellingham area about... five to six years back. So would suspect a few things have changed - and looking forward to some time in a more pandemic conscious community. Anything that the MRF braintrust would like to recommend?

We're all vaccinated, will have a car while we're there and few specific time requirements other than Mrs. Z having a Tuesday evening meeting to attend remotely. (less and less) Little Z* has a request in for MoPOP, a return visit to the Space Needle, and a couple random shops about.

* Her triumphant return to her second year of long-track speed skating last Tuesday:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2021 10:17PM by Z.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Couple of days in Seattle - any off the beaten path recommendations
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 13, 2021 10:39PM
Seattle/King County has a VERY high vaccination rate. Not sure about booster rate though.

Look into stuff in Tacoma too. Both Seattle and Tacoma have great zoos and aquariums. We go at least once a year, except last year.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 13, 2021 10:50PM
Cool! Speed skating! We have hockey, curling, and figure skating around here. No speed skating.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 13, 2021 10:58PM
The Chihuly Glass Garden at the Seattle Center is quite popular.

My friends enjoyed the view of downtown and Puget Sound from the Water Tower in Volunteer Park.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 14, 2021 06:42AM
Is the Metropolitan Grill still there? Go there if you like steak.

It's been a long time since I was in Seattle...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: December 14, 2021 08:36AM
How is Little Z (not so little anymore) liking the speed skating? I've always wanted to try it.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 14, 2021 08:44AM
Glass Museum in Tacoma is oddly entertaining.
Seattle Aquarium is great.
I've not really found much else to enjoy in Seattle. Make sure that you investigate vaccination requirements for anyplace that you visit. Most events/attractions in WA require proof of vaccination. King County actually enforces that rule.
I don't particularly enjoy Seattle. It feels very pretentious to me. I like Portland more.

We used to have a guy who'd come from Seattle to Yakima to practice speed skating on our ice rink because it was cheaper than renting ice in Seattle. He'd just show up for public skate and pay his $6 then skate for 30-60min until other guests started to show up. If it was an exceptionally busy evening he'd leave early. If it was a slow evening he'd stay longer.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 14, 2021 09:18AM
You seem the outdoorsy type, so I would suggest the Little Si hiking trail, about 30 min out from Seattle. [www.wta.org]

I did this one years ago and it was not difficult, but may vary depending on ability.
Seems to require a "Discover Pass" for access which I don't know anything about.

There is always the Freemont troll, the Theo Chocolate factory does tours.

You could also take a ferry to Port Townsend for a day.
Posted by: steve...
Date: December 14, 2021 09:46AM
I often took out of town guests to the Ballard Locks. Weather might be a factor this time of the year.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 14, 2021 09:47AM
The best thing I’ve ever done in Seattle was booked a whale watching trip. I think that was in the month of March though. It was a ton of fun. It was during my kids spring break from school and we flew on a float plane out to one of the nearby islands and then got on a boat.

The art museum is also very enjoyable. If your kids are younger the zoo and the museum is nice. The Chihuly exhibit is pretty cool but it’s expensive and much smaller than I had anticipated.

My daughter suggested Underground Seattle tour. I had forgotten about that one and it is a fun thing to do. My mother likes Alki beach which has a boardwalk. There's a steam train to ride in nearby Snoqualmie and a very nice museum, view of the waterfalls, and an excellent restaurant. I liked the conservatory but it's pretty low key. There are some nice theaters such as Moore Theater (I've only been once for a concert). The space needle is still pretty cool but you can't have dinner there anymore which is a shame. Pike's market is pretty run down and crowded so I'd pass on that one.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2021 10:28AM by davemchine.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 14, 2021 10:41AM
If you're into skating, I hear the new community ice rink is nice. We have a NHL team as of this year, and they built a new practice facility and included a community rink as well.

Find some pics of the sculpture park and see if it interests you.

I've been focusing on outdoor activities like mountain biking and snowboarding, and thus haven't been paying too much attention to everything else.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: dfilpus
Date: December 14, 2021 11:25AM
Discovery Park
[www.seattle.gov]
Lots of hiking trails, a lighthouse and, if open, the Daybreak Star Cultural Center.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 14, 2021 11:45AM
If weather permits, Snoqualmie Falls.

Oh, hey, I've GOT IT. Do the loop around the Olympic Peninsula. You can do it in two days, but that's really too little. Give it 3-4 days. Lots of beaches, and the only rainforest in the lower 48.

Alternatively, you can take ferry rides around the San Juans.

For good food value, Wild Ginger. For music, Jazz Alley.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 14, 2021 12:49PM
davemchine

My daughter suggested Underground Seattle tour. I had forgotten about that one and it is a fun thing to do.

THIS IS FUN. I forgot to mention it.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 14, 2021 01:28PM
I'll second the Wild Ginger and Jazz Alley (although there is currently plexiglass between audience and singer).

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: December 14, 2021 01:56PM
Lizabeth
How is Little Z (not so little anymore) liking the speed skating? I've always wanted to try it.

It, as with any other planned activity, gets in the way of her free time RollingEyesSmiley5

That said, she enjoys it but it would be good if there were a few more kids her age participating - she's youngest by a couple of years.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 14, 2021 06:59PM
I'm quite fond of Boeing's Museum of Flight, which now has a big new addition that's a museum of just Boeing. One afternoon wasn't enough, at least for me.

I love shopping for Japanese stationery, candy, cookies, etc. at Uwajimaya Market and the adjacent Kinokuniya Bookstore. I see that there's now also a Daiso across the street. I think all three will be of interest to the Zedling.
Date: December 14, 2021 08:25PM
Mr Downtown
I'm quite fond of Boeing's Museum of Flight, which now has a big new addition that's a museum of just Boeing. One afternoon wasn't enough, at least for me.

I love shopping for Japanese stationery, candy, cookies, etc. at Uwajimaya Market and the adjacent Kinokuniya Bookstore. I see that there's now also a Daiso across the street. I think all three will be of interest to the Zedling.

Daiso but no Muji — shakes fists at sky. We all speak very fondly about the last pre-pandemic trip to Tokyo and Kyoto over the holidays in 2019 into early 2020.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 14, 2021 09:10PM
There's a Muji in Portland. Just a quick daytrip away!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 15, 2021 09:39AM
Oh, Museum of Flight is also really nice. I haven't been there in 20 years though.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020