advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A Jimmy Carter story I'd never previously heard
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 15, 2021 11:22PM
This from a 2011 story by a Canadian journalist.

The Georgian's name? James Earl Carter, the 39th president of the United States. Almost 60 years ago, and then a young U.S. Naval officer working at the dawn of the nuclear age with the U.S. atomic submarine program, Carter was physically lowered into a damaged nuclear reactor in Chalk River, Ontario, Canada, and exposed to levels of radiation unthinkable today after an accident.

"We were fairly well instructed then on what nuclear power was, but for about six months after that I had radioactivity in my urine," President Carter, now 86, told me during an interview for my new book in Plains in 2008. "They let us get probably a thousand times more radiation than they would now. It was in the early stages and they didn't know."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Jimmy Carter story I'd never previously heard
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 15, 2021 11:27PM
Maybe we've heard wrong all along, and the glow actually preserves the human body!
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 15, 2021 11:52PM
mrbigstuff
Maybe we've heard wrong all along, and the glow actually preserves the human body!

lol. I've heard him talk about this before. I think there's even an SNL skit that riffs on it.

I wonder that too. He's a brave dude.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 15, 2021 11:59PM
mrbigstuff

New radiation is much more toxic.

That old fashioned radiation just makes you a little bigger.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 16, 2021 12:01AM
President Carter was also instrumental when he dealt with the Three Mile Island accident
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 16, 2021 07:24AM
vision63
mrbigstuff

lol. I've heard him talk about this before. I think there's even an SNL skit that riffs on it.

I wonder that too. He's a brave dude.

There was. IIRC, the radiation caused Jimmy and the cleaning lady to grow significantly larger. Can't find the video anywhere though.
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 16, 2021 12:28PM
Who was the guy with Oppenhiemer who let the rad beam go through his skull and died?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 16, 2021 12:31PM
At least he didn't make the same kind of mistake that Louis Slotin did.
Date: December 16, 2021 02:12PM
chopper
Who was the guy with Oppenhiemer who let the rad beam go through his skull and died?

It was John Cusack in the movie.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 16, 2021 02:46PM
vision63
chopper

It was John Cusack in the movie.

Different accident... that was a "dramatized" retelling of the Demon Core accident.
I remember the guy who had a particle accelerator bisect his head with a beam, but, I think he was Russian, and didn't die. Interesting bald spot, though.
I may be conflating two more more cases myself, though.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 16, 2021 07:59PM
The Russian who survived the particle accelerator accident was Anatoli Bugorski Link

I don’t understand how he survived a lethal radiation dose.

I saw this accident depicted in a tv show, but didn’t know he survived.
Date: December 16, 2021 08:10PM
Forrest
The Russian who survived the particle accelerator accident was Anatoli Bugorski Link

I don’t understand how he survived a lethal radiation dose.

I saw this accident depicted in a tv show, but didn’t know he survived.

HE'S STILL ALIVE!!!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 17, 2021 12:59PM
I know this is a controversial topic, and people have lost their jobs and academic positions for pointing out some research that indicates this, but....
It appears that "Radiation" and "radiation exposure" is more complicated than we thought. Yes, high SUSTAINED doses do seem to cause cancer. But, even fairly "high" one-time doses seem to cause a LOT less cancer than we thought. In one study, it even appeared to have a negative effect on the cancer rate in the study group.

An extended study of thyroid cancer around Chernobyl showed that thyroid cancer rates had actually been higher than normal in the entire region since before the plant had been built, much less blew up. This mitigated SOME of the early reported thyroid cancer rates (a high percentage weren't caused by Chernobyl... they only LOOKED for thyroid cancers AFTER Chernobyl).

Radiation exposure is more complicated than we thought.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 17, 2021 01:27PM
Paul F.
I know this is a controversial topic, and people have lost their jobs and academic positions for pointing out some research that indicates this, but....
It appears that "Radiation" and "radiation exposure" is more complicated than we thought...

In the case of Anatoli Bugorski, it was a highly focused beam and the result was similar to a tightly-focused high-powered laser going through him, destroying all of the tissue that it came in contact with. Only the cells in the immediate vicinity of the damage were irradiated. He probably had less brain damage than that guy who had a railroad spike driven through his head and lived.

You'll note that at the bottom of his Wikipedia entry there's a link to Proton Therapy as a cancer-treatment. Same deal: A precise beam of particles is shot through the tumor. It destroys the tissue that it comes in contact with and irradiates nearby cells to mangle their DNA so they die or can't reproduce -- only now doctors can control the power, depth, and focal point so it doesn't just blow a tiny radioactive hole straight through the victim patient but can knock out a tumor while inflicting minimal damage to the tissues above and below.

Posted by: CW2V
Date: December 17, 2021 01:56PM
Dr. Edna Casey: Well Mrs. Carter, it’s difficult to comprehend just how big he is but to give you some idea, we’ve asked comedian Rodney Dangerfield to come along today to help explain it to you. Rodney?
[ Rodney Dangerfield enters ]

Rodney Dangerfield: How do you do, how are you?

Ross Denton: Rodney, can you please tell us, how big is the president?

Rodney Dangerfield: Oh, he’s a big guy, I’ll tell you that, he’s a big guy. I tell you he’s so big, I saw him sitting in the George Washington bridge dangling his feet in the water! He’s a big guy!

Rosalyn Carter: Oh my God! Jimmy! Oh God!

Rodney Dangerfield: Oh, he’s big, I’ll tell you that, boy. He’s so big that when two girls make love to him at the same time, they never meet each other! He’s a big guy, I’ll tell you!

Rosalyn Carter: Oh no! Oh Jimmy! My Jimmy!

Rodney Dangerfield: I don’t want to upset you lady, he’s big, you know what I mean? Why he could have an affair with the Lincoln Tunnel! I mean, he’s really high! He’s big, I’ll tell you! He’s a big guy!

Rosalyn Carter: No! No! No!

Ross Denton: Rodney, thank you very much. You can go.

Rodney Dangerfield: It’s my pleasure. He’s way up there, lady! you know what I mean? [ goes off, leaving Rosalyn Carter very upset ]

CW2V
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020