advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
printing issue with iMac "an error occurred while trying to add the selected device"
Posted by: clay
Date: December 16, 2021 11:51AM
2019(?) 27" iMac. Running Catalina, I think. User has an HP OfficeJet 5258 that is setup, connected to wifi and seems to print fine from all other devices on the network.

At some point, printing stopped working from the iMac to the HP. I did a printing reset on the iMac, tried installing the HP software/driver, and keep getting the following message when trying to add the printer in the Printers & Scanners System prefs:

"An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time."

I can pull up the printer's internal config/status webpage from Safari on the affected iMac. So the computer can see the printer just fine in that regard. I've tried direct connecting via USB from the iMac to the printer, same error message. As I mentioned, I've done the "reset printing system" command from within the printers/scanners system prefs pane. And multiple other devices can print to the printer successfully.

What am I missing? What should I do next? help!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: printing issue with iMac "an error occurred while trying to add the selected device"
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 16, 2021 12:20PM
I'm not familiar with the "reset printing system" command, but when I have similar problems, I delete the printer then re-add it. I'm not on Catalina so this may not work anymore.
Re: printing issue with iMac "an error occurred while trying to add the selected device"
Date: December 16, 2021 12:57PM
mstudio
I'm not familiar with the "reset printing system" command, but when I have similar problems, I delete the printer then re-add it. I'm not on Catalina so this may not work anymore.

If you right-click/control click on a printer in the printers & scanners panel of system prefs, you get a menu popup with the option. Clicking that deletes all the printers stored in that pane (but doesn't delete any underlying drivers, etc). You would then re-add printers back as needed.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 16, 2021 06:16PM
Reboot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 16, 2021 06:22PM
Speedy
Reboot.

Yup did that several times
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 16, 2021 06:57PM
Uninstall the HP driver and then download/install the latest driver.

To uninstall...

There is often a "HP Uninstaller" app present in the "HP" or "Hewlett Packard" folder in the Applications folder.

You can try the HP Uninstaller here:
[ftp.hp.com]

You can also use the uninstall feature in HP Smart:
[123.hp.com]

...If the setup fails after this then use the Airprint driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 06:59PM by Sarcany.
Date: December 17, 2021 08:07AM
thanks, Sarcany. I'll try the uninstaller. I did notice that I did get the AirPrint driver as the driver option before installing the HP drivers that I downloaded. Had the same error message when trying to add the printer. But I'll try uninstalling and see if that changes anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020