advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
moving from 6s -> 13 Pro Max. Not going well
Posted by: rz
Date: December 17, 2021 10:47AM
6s, running iOS 10. Trying to move to 13 Pro Max running iOS 15. First thought was the Quick Start. No go - requires phone to be at iOS 11. Can't/won't upgrade because of a program that never got updated. Plan to still use 6s for that. So I did a backup of 6s to iTunes, which ran fine. Took maybe 30 minutes. Tried to restore that backup to 13 Pro Max. It told me I needed to download some software on my Mac first. It did that, then started. After a while, it said 7 minutes remaining. Then 8. Then 9... 10...11....12...etc. Left it overnight. When I woke up, it said over 5 hours remaining.

So I finally broke down and decided to try iCloud. Purchased 200GB (6s only has 64GB). Started iCloud backup of 6s. It's been running for about 4 hours, and says 6 hours remaining. I'm leaving town in 3 hours, so I'll have to stop it. I checked... it's apparently backed up about 24GB, but is stuck there. IF I can ever get it to backup, then I have to worry if it'll restore to the 13 Pro Max. I just have a feeling I'm going to have to basically start from scratch on the 13 Pro Max and manually update everything. Not really happy right now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: moving from 6s -> 13 Pro Max. Not going well
Posted by: SteveO
Date: December 17, 2021 10:51AM
Sorry to hear. I can tell you that in my experience, iCloud does get everything over to the new phone, though I've seen it take as long as a few days to get every_single_thing, so don't worry if you don't see it all on there the first day. Safe travels.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 17, 2021 11:23AM
SteveO
Sorry to hear. I can tell you that in my experience, iCloud does get everything over to the new phone, though I've seen it take as long as a few days to get every_single_thing, so don't worry if you don't see it all on there the first day. Safe travels.

I've seen iCloud take 3 days to complete a backup.

It usually restores everything prior to downloading apps inside of an hour and then the rest will of course be variable depending on how much it has to download and what kind of bandwidth is available.

The Mac is probably the most reliable way to do the migration for now. What you're missing is the device-support package that lets iTunes talk to devices running a recent version of iOS. It should take no more than 10 minutes to install. When you get the chance, reboot your Mac and try again.

(Your next upgrade from the iPhone 13 should be a piece of cake. Apple has streamlined things nicely. Just enter your Apple ID and point your phones nose-to-nose when prompted, and let them talk for an hour.)

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 17, 2021 11:23AM
I think you would be better served by extracting what you need to have on the new phone, and leaving everything else behind.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: December 17, 2021 11:24AM
rich in distress
I think you would be better served by extracting what you need to have on the new phone, and leaving everything else behind.

This!

If not this, then consider iMazing.
Date: December 17, 2021 12:08PM
Sarcany
What you're missing is the device-support package that lets iTunes talk to devices running a recent version of iOS. It should take no more than 10 minutes to install. When you get the chance, reboot your Mac and try again.

I think that's what it downloaded last night. Unfortunately, I'm pressed for time and may not be able to get anything else done before I leave for the holidays. The iCloud backup is down to 4 hours remaining, but I leave in less than 2 hours.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 17, 2021 01:28PM
rz
6s, running iOS 10.

well, thats a problem right away. If we knew that, first thing I would have said is "you need to update the iOS asap." I mean, you are talking about a 5 iOS jump. Kinda big?

Backup to iCloud is dependent on your internet upload speeds too -- unless you have FiOS -- its gonna take a long time.

Whatever this one program is -- hope its really worth it? Are you sure there isnt a replacement? or something else that does the same? cause right now, its dictating everything...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 17, 2021 02:47PM
See the post by rz several threads below.

rz
6s, running iOS 10. Trying to move to 13 Pro Max running iOS 15. First thought was the Quick Start. No go - requires phone to be at iOS 11. Can't/won't upgrade because of a program that never got updated. Plan to still use 6s for that. So I did a backup of 6s to iTunes, which ran fine. Took maybe 30 minutes. Tried to restore that backup to 13 Pro Max. It told me I needed to download some software on my Mac first. It did that, then started. After a while, it said 7 minutes remaining. Then 8. Then 9... 10...11....12...etc. Left it overnight. When I woke up, it said over 5 hours remaining.

So I finally broke down and decided to try iCloud. Purchased 200GB (6s only has 64GB). Started iCloud backup of 6s. It's been running for about 4 hours, and says 6 hours remaining. I'm leaving town in 3 hours, so I'll have to stop it. I checked... it's apparently backed up about 24GB, but is stuck there. IF I can ever get it to backup, then I have to worry if it'll restore to the 13 Pro Max. I just have a feeling I'm going to have to basically start from scratch on the 13 Pro Max and manually update everything. Not really happy right now.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 17, 2021 05:42PM
"Never update." --chopper
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 17, 2021 05:54PM
chopper
"Never update." --chopper

he didnt update, and that was the issue. ;)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 17, 2021 10:32PM
Well, the backup actually finished literally 10 minutes before we left. I'll try the restore when I get to my in-laws next week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020