advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPads out of stock everywhere
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 17, 2021 03:01PM
Decided to try to gift one to a friend, and have discovered the entry-level model ($329 iPad 9th gen) is just gone. I kind of knew this'd be the case but was still mildly surprised.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPads out of stock everywhere
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 17, 2021 03:04PM
Given the time of year, it's a bummer, but not surprising.

Hope you manage to find one!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: d4
Date: December 17, 2021 03:10PM
I think they are sitting on a cargo container ship anchored off the coast of California right about now.

Posted by: jdc
Date: December 17, 2021 03:44PM
actually been that way for a few weeks now. was expecting them to go to $270 on BF... and no deals, no stock.

prob effected by everything, chips, supply chain, etc.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 17, 2021 03:52PM
Went ahead and ordered for delivery in January. We'll give him a nice card with the photo in it -- shades of the Kenner STAR WARS Early Bird Certificate setup.

My initial snarky plan was to give him an Apple Pencil with nothing else as a joke, and then let him know about the iPad coming next month, but we're already *way* over budget anyway. smiling smiley

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 17, 2021 04:37PM
d4
I think they are sitting on a cargo container ship anchored off the coast of California right about now.

Pretty sure all Apple stuff is shipped via air not ship.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 17, 2021 08:55PM
Zoidberg
Went ahead and ordered for delivery in January. We'll give him a nice card with the photo in it -- shades of the Kenner STAR WARS Early Bird Certificate setup.

My initial snarky plan was to give him an Apple Pencil with nothing else as a joke, and then let him know about the iPad coming next month, but we're already *way* over budget anyway. smiling smiley

I'll make you a deal on 6th gen base iPad (w/ faulty backlighting), or an even better deal on an original HP TouchPad....

ya'know, just to have a tablet to go w/ the Apple Pencil, and get some extra snark in.... and keep you on budget.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 17, 2021 09:11PM
Zoidberg
Decided to try to gift one to a friend, and have discovered the entry-level model ($329 iPad 9th gen) is just gone. I kind of knew this'd be the case but was still mildly surprised.

If you ever need another friend, I’m available.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 17, 2021 09:55PM
d4

I'm off to find one, then!

It is what it is.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 18, 2021 08:29AM
This popped up on my feed this morning - pricier tho.
[www.spoofee.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 18, 2021 08:36AM
Small, somewhat unrelated data point: the battery on my 1st gen iPad Pro finally died (or had a near-death experience). Took it to the local Apple Store and they found the problem was indeed the battery. They used to do the work there, which could take too long sometimes (a week for my late FIL’s iMac a few years ago).

Now they don’t repair there (iPads at least). They exchange your iPad for a refurb one that someone elsewhere has put a new battery in. Comes with a refurb warrantee. They’ll do it the same day if they have one in stock.

They didn’t in my case - so maybe they are in short supply, generally. So I took mine back home (it had come back to life only after 6 hours of charging straight from a Mac). And a couple days later, the replacement came in. No appointment necessary.

A hundred bucks, but the replacement looks (and so far, works) great. I’m happy.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 18, 2021 01:42PM
Buzz
Zoidberg

I'll make you a deal on 6th gen base iPad (w/ faulty backlighting), or an even better deal on an original HP TouchPad....

ya'know, just to have a tablet to go w/ the Apple Pencil, and get some extra snark in.... and keep you on budget.
==

I've got a couple of Newtons laying around, one is even NIB, that I could offer up at the right price.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 18, 2021 04:51PM
Do you have a Microcenter close by?

They consistently have lots of stock of different models even when the Apple Stores do not

Here’s Houston

[www.microcenter.com]

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 19, 2021 09:23AM
Another recommendation to check your local Microcenter. Mine shows 7 of the space gray base model in stock.

Been toying with getting one for my mom for Christmas but assumed they were unavailable. Will probably hold off because my parents have been having some tech support issues that I probably need to sort out in person. It's not the time to add another device to the mix.
Date: December 19, 2021 11:49AM
No Microcenter anywhere near me (I'm in Central AR). We ordered for mid-January release. Ages ago, we used to do "Not Christmas" around January 25th during Carnival Season (the King Cake baby brings you stuff, though it's usually food and spirits), so we'll just turn it into that, removed though we are from New Orleans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020