advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Xbox One... have question about connecting wirelessly, CAN I ADD A SWITCH AT END OF OTHER ROOMS RUN?
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 26, 2021 08:11PM
OK, granddaughter is in this bedroom, without cable connection or ethernet at the moment. Apparently they were going to connect her Xbox, but its a kind that doesn't have a download app that will give her connection to wireless.

So there is an Xbox ONE in the neighborhood, that is selling for $250. Guy said he would take $200, anti comes with a controller, and 3 games. Guy has been on the selling site for many years, so not just a join to sell guy.

So what do I need to know about XBOX one, and connecting to the internet so she can watch tv, etc...

Or would it just be easier to add a switch to the adjacent room where there is ethernet, and lead a Cat 5 cable over to her Tivo Mini and Xbox, etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2021 10:01AM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Xbox One... have question about connecting wirelessly
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 26, 2021 09:00PM
Wired is always better than wireless if available. That being said, wireless on the X and S model is considerable better than the original model.

[news.xbox.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 26, 2021 09:32PM
The Xbox One third or fourth generation have very good/excellent wireless internet Xbox wiki and all 5 models can play the same games. The 4th generation Model S is designed to game at 1440p and the Model X is designed to game at 4K.
The 3rd generation is designed to game at 720p/1080p

Unless you’re talking about Netflix or YouTube, you can’t really watch Broadcast TV on your Xbox
Date: December 27, 2021 10:00AM
Forrest, good answer about only being able to watch Netflix and YouTube on Xbox, if it is the correct version. I was thinking of adding another small 4 port switch at the end of a ethernet run from the main switch at the other end of the house, Then running the new cable thru the Wall into the next room for a wired connection.

What do I have to look for in a switch. I have an older 100 max speed. Would that be sufficient or would something like that slow up the rest of the MESH network from EERO thats in the house?

Or is there something now cheap that I can purchase on Amazon, that will keep things flowing for less than $50 (Switch)

Switch I have is a Monoprice 8 Port 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2021 10:53AM by Microman.
Re: Xbox One... have question about connecting wirelessly, CAN I ADD A SWITCH AT END OF OTHER ROOMS RUN?
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 27, 2021 12:06PM
Yes, you can install a network switch to extend the current network. I would install a new gigabit Ethernet switch as as the TP-Link TL-SG108 | 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch available on Amazon for $17.99. Home Depot has jacks, wall plates and Ethernet cable to make it look professional.

That said, all of the Xbox One third and 4th generation, which were first introduced on November 22, 2013 have 2.4/5 GHz Wi-Fi and should work with the existing Wi-Fi network.
Re: Xbox One... have question about connecting wirelessly, CAN I ADD A SWITCH AT END OF OTHER ROOMS RUN?
Date: December 27, 2021 03:26PM
I bought the switch above, will be delivered Wednesday, how to I make the one Ethernet cable coming into room, hook up to Tivo Mini as well as Xbox?, ,do I need 2 cable runs from switch in other room next to hers?
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 27, 2021 03:54PM
“ do I need 2 cable runs from switch in other room next to hers? “

Yes, or another switch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020