advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lake Tahoe shatters 50-year December snowfall record with more than 16 feet of snow
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 28, 2021 10:17AM
[www.aol.com]

With four days left to go in the month, Lake Tahoe has already broken the record for December snowfall set 50 years ago.

On Monday, December snow totals at the UC Berkeley Central Sierra Snow Lab reached 193.7 inches, blowing a 1970 record of 179 inches out of the water.

The lab, located at Donner Pass, has received roughly 39 inches of snow in the past 24 hours and could break the 200-inch mark today.

The lab was built in 1946 by the U.S. Weather Bureau and Army Corps of Engineers and maintains one of the longest-running manual snow depth records in the world, dating back to 1879.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lake Tahoe shatters 50-year December snowfall record with more than 16 feet of snow
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 28, 2021 11:00AM
Pick one of these up at Home Depot, and you'll have it cleared in a jiffy.

Re: Lake Tahoe shatters 50-year December snowfall record with more than 16 feet of snow
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: December 28, 2021 11:03AM
Acer
Pick one of these up at Home Depot, and you'll have it cleared in a jiffy.

Once you factor in the cost of installing the tracks, it stops being cost effective.
Posted by: steve...
Date: December 28, 2021 11:14AM
A warm spell could accelerate snowpack melt and cause flooding.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 28, 2021 11:16AM
Don’t forget the locomotive engine needed to push the plow…
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 28, 2021 11:20AM
Forrest
Don’t forget the locomotive engine needed to push the plow…

You don't already have one?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 28, 2021 11:26AM
we skied Tahoe 25yo.
1st night had insane dump (giggle). like 3' or more.
By 6am, well before lifts opened, it was scraped to the pavement.
The coffee spots, pineapple pizzerias, crystal shops and gas stations were open and jammed.
Hell, they wasn't that efficient when we skied Switzerland.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: December 28, 2021 11:38AM
"Donner? Party of 50?"

=TC
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 28, 2021 01:00PM
Its impressive, but still a long way to go... and keeping it might be the biggest trick

[cdec.water.ca.gov]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 28, 2021 02:34PM
jdc
Its impressive, but still a long way to go... and keeping it might be the biggest trick

[cdec.water.ca.gov]

Yep, keep it going!
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 28, 2021 03:23PM
Near my Oregon place:

[www.weather.gov]

Several large years will be needed to overcome recent drought years.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 28, 2021 03:47PM
I must say, I’m really impressed with the job the guy with the shovel did in opening up that section of road.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 28, 2021 08:05PM
If the storms continue like they did for the Donner Party, the likelihood of flooding anytime soon is not great. OTOH, there could be a few people who don't see civilization again until spring.

Additionally, Cali is somewhat famous for December storms that disappear come the first of the year, not to be seen again until the next winter. It's a long winter, so hopefully there will be more storms where this came from over the next few months.

Stay tuned.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 29, 2021 08:50AM
While it's impressive that we have reached 200 inch for December, looking back farther into weather records than 1970 shows that there have been far bigger years. The largest I recall seeing is around 285 inches. We won't get there this year.

Of course a ton of people ignored the warnings and came up before the storm. Then they were stuck in Tahoe for a few extra days. The gas stations have been out of gas, and many staples have been out of the grocery stores. This is no surprise to those of us that live in the area. Watching tourons lose their cool because the grocery store is out of eggs and milk, or their AirBnB didn't have a shovel to dig out a berm in the driveway for their Tesla...fun to watch but I feel bad for the employees.

Yesterday, Highway 50 opened as the only route open to the west and it immediately turned in to a 50 mile long parking lot. I-80 opened westward this morning and the exodus is underway. Speaking of people trying to leave...massive craziness with Google Maps and Waze offering crazy alternative routes on Forest Service roads that are nearly impossible in the summer. What's sillier is that people believe those routes will really work. FWIW, Apple Maps just suggested that no route was available. I'm glad the Apple engineers figured out how to stop sending people through Jackson Meadows or Bucks Lake.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2021 01:07PM
Markintosh
While it's impressive that we have reached 200 inch for December, looking back farther into weather records than 1970 shows that there have been far bigger years. The largest I recall seeing is around 285 inches. We won't get there this year.

Of course a ton of people ignored the warnings and came up before the storm. Then they were stuck in Tahoe for a few extra days. The gas stations have been out of gas, and many staples have been out of the grocery stores. This is no surprise to those of us that live in the area. Watching tourons lose their cool because the grocery store is out of eggs and milk, or their AirBnB didn't have a shovel to dig out a berm in the driveway for their Tesla...fun to watch but I feel bad for the employees.

Yesterday, Highway 50 opened as the only route open to the west and it immediately turned in to a 50 mile long parking lot. I-80 opened westward this morning and the exodus is underway. Speaking of people trying to leave...massive craziness with Google Maps and Waze offering crazy alternative routes on Forest Service roads that are nearly impossible in the summer. What's sillier is that people believe those routes will really work. FWIW, Apple Maps just suggested that no route was available. I'm glad the Apple engineers figured out how to stop sending people through Jackson Meadows or Bucks Lake.

That would definitely be me stuck there. I'd be the tourist complaining about the lack of eggs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Z
Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020