advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U: Battery issues have me puzzled
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 28, 2021 06:26PM
Original post had to do with the battery in my late 2012 MBP 13" Retina battery dying. Replacement seemed like the thing to do, so I ordered one from our sponsor.

thread

I did the battery replacement last night with no issues. It was fairly involved but doable, taking about an hour using our sponsor's excellent video. Still no charge, shuts off if the AC adapter is unplugged. Runs fine with AC adapter plugged in. Tried a known working adapter, no joy. I opened it up and checked the battery connections and all looked OK.

Any ideas?

Here's the before and after from coconut battery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2021 06:28PM by lost in space.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U: Battery issues have me puzzled
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 28, 2021 06:40PM
Although it's a little redundant with a battery-swap, try doing a SMC reset.
[osxdaily.com]

Watch to see that the power-light changes to green and then orange after the SMC reset. This indicates normal operation and charging.

If it still fails to charge the Mac, try yet another power adapter. Because you will almost certainly want to try all of the basic stuff even if redundant when facing the next most likely thing:

The failing DC-in board.

(Not the hardest part to source, and not all that expensive, but a PITA to replace.)

If I recall correctly, that Mac doesn't have a built-in hardware diagnostic. You can try booting with the "d" key held down anyway to see if it'll boot into the hardware-test, but I think it'll throw an EFI error. If you can get into the hardware-test, it should report an error if it's the DC-in board at fault. You might also seek out an indie (but certified) Mac consultant in your area and ask them if they can run ye olde Apple Service Diagnostic on your Mac.

Posted by: btfc
Date: December 28, 2021 06:41PM
[www.newertech.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 30, 2021 12:11AM
Did the SMC reset early on, and another charger, as I mentioned. Can't do a calibration with a battery that won't charge. DC-in board ordered. Yeah, cheap, but what a hassle. Thanks. Will follow up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 63
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020