advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Old family photos
Posted by: archipirata
Date: December 30, 2021 09:15AM
I've been working on scanning and restoring a bunch of old family photos and they are like tiny windows into the past. I'm really enjoying this process and knowing that my descendants will have them to pass on.

My grandparent's wedding party, 1923.

Athens, OH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Old family photos
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 30, 2021 09:17AM
What a fine document!
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 30, 2021 09:20AM
Nice!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: December 30, 2021 09:22AM
What a terrific photo! Can you offer a glimpse into your scanning workflow? My own family photo scanning journey is entering its third year and I'm always eager to learn about techniques and best practices. Cheers!
Posted by: archipirata
Date: December 30, 2021 09:49AM
Workflow is nothing special. I am just using an all-in-one Brother printer/scanner with the standard brother scan software. Resolution 1200dpi. Import into Lightroom for basic all over toning, white balance, captioning, etc. Then into Photoshop for the ones that have major issues I want to fix (tears, creases, etc.) Up to 200 so far with about that many still to go. I don't need the 1200dpi for final output as most of the images don't look great blown up that big, but when retouching I want as many pixels to work with as possible to help the edits blend in smoothly.

Athens, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 09:49AM by archipirata.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 30, 2021 10:11AM
Back when you could have a "Charlie Chaplin" mustache... :-)
Posted by: August West
Date: December 30, 2021 10:13AM
Impressive!

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 30, 2021 10:40AM
Be sure to run the photos by anyone who can help identify the people in them. There is nothing more maddening than to have a group image and not know who is who.

I'll lay odds that the four individuals directly behind the bride/groom are their parents (your great grandparents) with the inner two being her parents.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 10:44AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 30, 2021 10:54AM
MikeF
Back when you could have a "Charlie Chaplin" mustache... :-)

And part your hair (men) straight down the middle...
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 30, 2021 11:08AM
What a fascinating photo! thumbs up

No one seems to be smiling, and definitely not showing teeth. I've noticed this before in older pics. When did people start saying cheese just before a photo is snapped? big grin smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 30, 2021 11:15AM
Rick-o
What a fascinating photo! thumbs up

No one seems to be smiling, and definitely not showing teeth. I've noticed this before in older pics. When did people start saying cheese just before a photo is snapped? big grin smiley

Smiles often seem forced.
Date: December 30, 2021 11:23AM
archipirata
Workflow is nothing special. I am just using an all-in-one Brother printer/scanner with the standard brother scan software. Resolution 1200dpi. Import into Lightroom for basic all over toning, white balance, captioning, etc. Then into Photoshop for the ones that have major issues I want to fix (tears, creases, etc.) Up to 200 so far with about that many still to go. I don't need the 1200dpi for final output as most of the images don't look great blown up that big, but when retouching I want as many pixels to work with as possible to help the edits blend in smoothly.

Thanks!
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 30, 2021 11:34AM
Rick-o

I believe that typically they needed longer exposures so had to hold position for longer.

Paul
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 30, 2021 11:56AM
I have a photo like that from the wedding of my grandmother's youngest sister in 1926, with my father as a four-year-old ring bearer. There are 28 people in the photo, and my father's sister had a copy with everyone labeled, even the eventual married surnames for the little girls.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 30, 2021 01:23PM
My mother found a life-size blow-up of this photo when cleaning out her mother's house. When I saw it, my mouth gaped and for the first time in my life, I asked her to will it to me. She gave it to me some years later and it hangs in my living room. It's printed on canvas and is suffering from old age, but is as protected as it can be - one of my most treasured possessions. She was born on New Year's day 1901.

My uncle recently found my grandmothers 'baby book' - women used to keep a scrapbook of each child and add pictures and stories (like everything about taking first steps and such) to it over time.

This page knocked me out: Pics of my grandmother as a baby with many family members including HER grandparents (my great great GPs). My niece's great great great GPs.

PS - one of those grandmothers died horribly after her dress and hair caught fire in a wood burning stove accident.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 01:28PM by hal.
Date: December 30, 2021 01:48PM
hal - Great pix and an amazing (and tragic) story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 01:50PM by prymsnap.
Date: December 30, 2021 01:57PM
While we're on the subject, Chicago's PBS station WTTW ran this piece on my dad's lost-but-found photo collection a couple days ago. I was a nervous wreck before it aired, but am very pleased with how it turned out.
ShoeboxNegs
Posted by: hal
Date: December 30, 2021 02:28PM
prymsnap
While we're on the subject, Chicago's PBS station WTTW ran this piece on my dad's lost-but-found photo collection a couple days ago. I was a nervous wreck before it aired, but am very pleased with how it turned out.
ShoeboxNegs

wow! that's such a touching story - you told it very well and the TV news crew gave it the respect it deserved.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 30, 2021 03:11PM
Beautiful memories everybody.
Thanks for sharing!!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 30, 2021 04:37PM
WOW!

Seems like just about any scanner can do the job. My wife found some old pics at her granny's house and wants me to take care of them.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Re: Old family photos--
Posted by: jh
Date: December 30, 2021 05:08PM
Back in 2007-2008 I decided somebody ought to digitize our family (I am one of five children) photographs and documents. Since I had a flatbed scanner (Canon then Epson) I took up the job and over the run of the years with additional photos, newspaper paper clippings, marriage books, and documents found being added as the years passed on have so that I now have over 45 Gigs of files on my drive--backed up and copies deployed to my siblings.

I have now gone back and tried to give a detailed name to each photo basically following, if known, the principal of:
1. Where was the photo taken?
2. Who are the people in the photo?
3. When or about when was the photo taken?

Want to be able for folks coming up behind us to not have to ask who are these people and where was this taken, etc.

Working on my wife's side of the family identifying photos now. My sister gave me more recent photos she found that I have scanned and will have to identify (which will be easier) and sort.
Re: Old family photos--
Date: December 30, 2021 05:17PM
jh
Back in 2007-2008 I decided somebody ought to digitize our family (I am one of five children) photographs and documents. Since I had a flatbed scanner (Canon then Epson) I took up the job and over the run of the years with additional photos, newspaper paper clippings, marriage books, and documents found being added as the years passed on have so that I now have over 45 Gigs of files on my drive--backed up and copies deployed to my siblings.

I have now gone back and tried to give a detailed name to each photo basically following, if known, the principal of:
1. Where was the photo taken?
2. Who are the people in the photo?
3. When or about when was the photo taken?

Want to be able for folks coming up behind us to not have to ask who are these people and where was this taken, etc.

Working on my wife's side of the family identifying photos now. My sister gave me more recent photos she found that I have scanned and will have to identify (which will be easier) and sort.

Holy smokes, that's ambitious! Hats off to you.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: January 01, 2022 06:39PM
I have essentially taken on the same task too with family photos. Scanning old ones and sorting digital files, taking over a task my dad had started prior to passing.

When you find details about a photo (like the who, the when and the where, etc), where do you put that information so that it is connected with the photo file? Separate document with pointers to the photo? Or, anyway to embed the known information with the photo so that the information does not get separated or lost?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2022 05:19AM by SKYLANE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020