advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Optical lens cleaner peferences?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 30, 2021 05:39PM
I can't seem to locate my bottle of ROR (Residual Oil Remover). What's the go to stuff for quality coated optics these days?

I've used a PEC-12 product as well. I use microfiber cleaning cloths that are reserved for lenses only, and get cleaned with Neutrogena clarifying zero residue shampoo when they have picked up enough oil that they smear.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Optical lens cleaner peferences?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 30, 2021 07:38PM
This stuff, mixed ~60/40 to 65/35 w/ 50% IPA, or you can hit it w/ higher proof IPA and add some clarified H2O to get to desired overall diluted solution (so you what's in the water component). We mix it up in little spritzer bottles, and use microfiber cloths for the cleaning. Maybe start w/ 50/50 water, and go lighter on the IPA to start with, until you get to best dilution/titration for your needs, adding back some add'l lens cleaner....

About $10 a pint. Buy bigger bottles for better pricing/oz..

==
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 30, 2021 07:53PM
Buzz
This stuff, mixed ~60/40 to 65/35 w/ 50% IPA, or you can hit it w/ higher proof IPA and add some clarified H2O to get to desired overall diluted solution (so you what's in the water component). We mix it up in little spritzer bottles, and use microfiber cloths for the cleaning. Maybe start w/ 50/50 water, and go lighter on the IPA to start with, until you get to best dilution/titration for your needs, adding back some add'l lens cleaner....

About $10 a pint. Buy bigger bottles for better pricing/oz..

==

Hey! $2 cheaper with pump top. And it's LEADER brand. [smile.amazon.com]

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: bruceko
Date: December 30, 2021 08:32PM
. I have been using the Leader brand recently full strength. It works very
well.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 30, 2021 08:46PM
I use 70% IPA if I have it, applied with a q-tip. Another, dry q-tip to dry or a Kimtech/Kimwipe to dry.

Kimwipes are great. No lint or static electricity issues.
Date: December 30, 2021 08:47PM
Yeah, prices fluctuate from week to week.... just depends on how much ya need. We get ~18 - 24 months out of a bottle, so cost isn't a major factor... especially because you can easily pay $20 - $25/bottle elsewhere, so as long as Bezosville is around $8 - $10, we're happy campers.

Double check the spray listing, it's usually for the smaller bottles...
Good luck!
==
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 30, 2021 10:32PM
ooOOoo this is a perfect topic for me. I'm new to wearing glasses and I'm rather picky about clean optics. I've been starting with dawn dish detergent followed some, uh, glasses cleaner. The glasses cleaner doesn't remove anything greasy and if I just go with dawn I end up with water stains.

Date: December 31, 2021 12:34AM
mattkime
ooOOoo this is a perfect topic for me. I'm new to wearing glasses and I'm rather picky about clean optics. I've been starting with dawn dish detergent followed some, uh, glasses cleaner. The glasses cleaner doesn't remove anything greasy and if I just go with dawn I end up with water stains.

In my 1st grade class picture there are two people wearing glasses.... the other one was the school principal, Mr. Brown, while the teacher, Ms. Davis, who usually wore glasses, doffed hers for picture day. So, w/ well over six decades of wearing glasses in the experience column, I've come to two conclusions; #1) sparkly clean glasses are nice, really nice, and #2) you can get used to an incredible amount of schmutz on them in between occurrences of #1.

As bruceko notes, full strength Leader works great, and deckeda has had success w/ IPA. I initially diluted the Leader w/ distilled water to lengthen its usable life, and after accidentally finding a bit of an over-diluted point, I started adding back some IPA and a little more Leader, eventually deriving the optimal blend. Going forward, I found using 50% IPA is the easiest, as then it's only a two part mixture; if you use 70%, or greater IPA, it's a three part mixture, as you need to add enough clarified water so that the total added liquid is no more than ~50% IPA. I like easy, see conclusion #2 above.
cool smiley

FWIW, there hasn't been a single person that hasn't been audibly "wowed" the first time their glasses have been hit with the 'magic spray'.... Mrs. Buzz is like, totally, the Ambassador for the stuff; she carries a small spray bottle in her purse, and when she cleans her, and/or my glasses in public, she'll ask anyone/everyone else around her/us that's wearing glasses if they'd like theirs cleaned, too. That's how a lot of extra "wow's" get racked up.
==
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 31, 2021 07:42AM
[ishort.ink]

got this from my optometrist when I bought new coke bottles a decade ago. Works well.

I have enough other things that need DIY mixing.

If your lens are coated, don't think I'd use IPA.
Perhaps distilled water and a microfiber.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 31, 2021 09:18AM
I use these Zeiss wipes on the recommendation of a guy that uses them on 5+ digit optics in a lab. Very handy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 01, 2022 05:06PM
if I just go with dawn I end up with water stains.

What do those look like?

Dawn is what I use on my eyeglasses, and I don't get any residual artifacts.

I rinse the lenses well under running water, then put a couple drops on each lens, add some water and lightly clean both sides of the lenses.

They're then rinsed well and I use the torn edge of a paper towel to wick the water off the lenses, no rubbing.

No artifacts.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 01, 2022 09:28PM
RAMd®d
if I just go with dawn I end up with water stains.

What do those look like?

Dawn is what I use on my eyeglasses, and I don't get any residual artifacts.

I rinse the lenses well under running water, then put a couple drops on each lens, add some water and lightly clean both sides of the lenses.

They're then rinsed well and I use the torn edge of a paper towel to wick the water off the lenses, no rubbing.

No artifacts.

A few drops of Dawn in a 2 oz. spray bottle of 80% water and a scooch of IPA (or vodka) is "The Frugalman's™®" glass cleaner.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020