advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is Typical Samsung TV Life Now About 3-4 Years?
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 01, 2022 03:41PM
My TV, which sees minimal use, suddenly went half-black or shadowed on the screen the other night. Real bummer as this is the time of year we actually use it--when it's subzero outside.

I really like Samsung OS on the TV and that it has an OTA receiver that gets a ton of channels.

Is 3-4 years average lifespan now?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is Typical Samsung TV Life Now About 3-4 Years?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 01, 2022 03:56PM
Appliances, electronics, TV's...

Any day beyond the warranty is a bonus now.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 01, 2022 03:56PM
I got a full 5 years from my LG 42”.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 01, 2022 04:14PM
I hope not, as that's about the age of mine! But I've come across many videos of the fixes for bad screens on the YT.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 01, 2022 04:15PM
FWIW Samsung appliance quality seems to have taken a serious dive.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 01, 2022 04:19PM
Our 48” Samsung LED TV is a little over 7 years old and still going strong, never had the slightest problem with it (knock on wood).

Date: January 01, 2022 05:26PM
The shadow moved to the other side of the screen, the screen flickered then it made a pop noise and now no picture.

I hate buying new TVs just because of the torrent of specs that are thrown at a consumer.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 01, 2022 05:49PM
My Samsung in my living room is 10 yrs old. I have two smaller Samsungs that are older and still going fine.

JoeM
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 01, 2022 06:04PM
My Samsung is from 2017 - od enough that some app makers don't support it - but it is as bright and clear as the day we brought it home. It is literally on for at least 12 hours a day - background noise.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 01, 2022 06:05PM
This thread has got me scared, we’re about to plunk down around $4000 on an 85 inch Samsung.
Date: January 01, 2022 06:19PM
I'd buy it with AMEX, and the extended warranty.

The last time I just went to the salesman and said what is the nicest TV you have .. for $300.

Might have to raise that this time.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 01, 2022 07:06PM
My RV came with THREE Samsung TVs as OEM installs. One 40" and two 32" models all going on eight years now without problems. A Samsung BluRay player did fail about two years ago after six years of regular use. If a TV were to die, I'd strongly consider a new Samsung as a replacement.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 01, 2022 07:37PM
Carnos Jax
This thread has got me scared, we’re about to plunk down around $4000 on an 85 inch Samsung.

That must be a hella awesome tv.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: January 01, 2022 08:14PM
Fwiw, my original Vizio is over 12 yrs old and still working fine. My 2 Samsung 42 inch are working perfectly for over 8 yrs.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 01, 2022 11:05PM
My memory is foggy about this (and a lot of other things at this point) but I seem to remember reading a lot of Amazon customer reviews by people that bought the Samsung TV I wanted to purchase.I seem to remember them mentioning where the TV came from had a lot to do with reliability. People shared how you could determine the country of origin though the numerical codes on the boxes label and which ones to stay away from. I seem to remember it had to do with differences in the screens.

JoeM
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 02, 2022 01:06AM
vision63
Carnos Jax

That must be a hella awesome tv.

Yeah. I was thinking the same. ;)

We have a 55” in our main room… could really use a 65 or 70. But I don’t want to pay over 500. Or less. We aren’t huge tv watchers, so maybe the hesitation…

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 02, 2022 04:12AM
I got a full 5 years from my LG 42”.

A 'full 5 years' isn't a ringing endorsement.

I don't know the mean or average life of current TVs, but there are so many complaints of TVs dying in just a few years of use, I have to wonder if 5+ years is an exception.

One can certainly get an 85" TV for a lot less that $4000.

I'd imagine an 'inexpensive' 85" would lack many features, and I wonder if one of those might be reliability.

And yes, reliability shouldn't be a feature.

I consider a TV that gives only 10yrs or less trouble free service to be a disposable product, and I wouldn't be happy with that.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 02, 2022 08:35AM
Like others here, I have an older 46" Samsung (I think 2009) that is still doing OK. I've managed to repair it myself a few times but there is an intermittent issue where green lines appear across the screen. It has not been enough of a bother to warrant replacement yet. After 12 years I can't complain.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 02, 2022 08:57AM
We bought our house in 2011 and the Sony Bravia plasma conveyed.

It was new in 2009, and is still going strong. Even though it gets left on overnight quite often.

I keep waiting for it to die, but it won't.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 02, 2022 11:22AM
I doubt that asking this question on the forum is going to get useful answers since you'll only get ad hoc sample-size-of-one (or perhaps two) answers. I'd suggest subscribing to Consumer Reports which does an annual survey of all their subscribers that covers product reliability. That's the only real statistical data that I'm aware of on product reliability.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 02, 2022 12:09PM
Samsung refrigerators from 2009 were excellent, the ones from 2020 are garbage. The same could (and likely is) true of their TV's.

They built a great product, got a great name, then cut quality to maximize profits. You can't compare a product from a decade ago to one being made today.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 02, 2022 04:26PM
IIRC, Samsung HDTVs in past years have needed capacitor replacements.

I'd search online by model number & see if that or something as easily fixed is the issue with the OP's TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2022 04:27PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 02, 2022 09:01PM
Our bedroom Samsung is maybe 9 years old. Earliest LED backiight ones I think.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020