advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need to upgrade to Catalina at least...any reason not to go to Monterey?
Posted by: davester
Date: January 02, 2022 07:45PM
Title says it. To run Turbotax this year I'm required to upgrade my 2015 MBPR to Catalina. This is a big step since I have to say bye bye to my old 32 bit apps. As long as I'm at it I figure I might as well go all the way to Monterey. Is there a reason not to?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need to upgrade to Catalina at least...any reason not to go to Monterey?
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 02, 2022 08:00PM
There are many game apps that were never upgraded to 64 bit. If you have the free hard drive space, consider making a small partition for Catalina and TurboTax
Posted by: davester
Date: January 02, 2022 08:12PM
Forrest
There are many game apps that were never upgraded to 64 bit. If you have the free hard drive space, consider making a small partition for Catalina and TurboTax

Interesting idea, though game apps are of no interest to me. I have a 1Tb drive, so plenty of space. I have APFS, so instead of partitioning can I install Catalina (or why not Monterey) on an APFS volume?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2022 08:13PM by davester.
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 03, 2022 07:09AM
I am running Catalina, and when I installed Turbotax, it said I would have to go to ,,,,, I think "Big Sur" next year...Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 03, 2022 07:30AM
davester
As long as I'm at it I figure I might as well go all the way to Monterey. Is there a reason not to?

It's still new and buggy and has some advertised features that are not fully implemented.

A good rule of thumb is to wait until at least the 4th point-update before upgrading unless there's a good business-reason or you've got a disposable system to experiment on (and good backups).

Big Sur is at the point where it's reasonably stable/mature. I'd stop there for now.

Check the System Information app under "Applications" and sort by the "64-bit" column to see which apps are 32-bit and won't run. you may be surprised at an app that you rely upon that won't run under the new OS. And I'd run a malware-check with Malwarebytes and run an Onyx maintenance routine prior to upgrading.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 03, 2022 08:51AM
FYI HRBlock only requires OSX 10.13 or later Link
Posted by: tlh828
Date: January 03, 2022 10:21AM
I upgraded my 2014 mini to Catalina. It was slow, hard to use. Same when it was upgraded to Big Sur. Monterey cured it.

My M1 mini came with Big Sur. Worked great. Upgraded to Monterey. Still works great.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 03, 2022 01:21PM
I'd get a small external drive and install any needed but seldom used OS on it.

Get needed work done, keep desired 32-bit apps, and play with a newer OS if and when the spirit moves you.

You could nuke and pave with an even newer OS at will.

I have some partitioned drives with older OS combos, and it's fine unless and until you want to change the partitions for some reason.

That's only happened to me once, so it wasn't much of an issue, I just wanted to reclaim otherwise what became unused space.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: August West
Date: January 03, 2022 01:32PM
RAMd®d
I'd get a small external drive and install any needed but seldom used OS on it.

Get needed work done, keep desired 32-bit apps, and play with a newer OS if and when the spirit moves you.

You could nuke and pave with an even newer OS at will.

I have some partitioned drives with older OS combos, and it's fine unless and until you want to change the partitions for some reason.

That's only happened to me once, so it wasn't much of an issue, I just wanted to reclaim otherwise what became unused space.

+1

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Bosco
Date: January 03, 2022 05:42PM
Catalina killed my Adobe CS6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020