Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
This is an email scam, yes?
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: January 05, 2022 07:57AM
Woke up to this email today:

"AutoSSL would normally renew this certificate now, but 7 of the website’s secured domains just failed DCV. To provide you with more time to resolve these problems, AutoSSL will defer the renewal until Jan 9, 2022 at 12:00:00 AM UTC. After that time, AutoSSL will request a replacement certificate that excludes any domains that fail DCV. At the time of this notice, the certificate will expire in 6 days, 15 hours, 7 minutes, and 29 seconds. AutoSSL did not renew the certificate for (my domain). You must take action to keep this site secure. The “cPanel” AutoSSL provider could not renew the SSL certificate without a reduction of coverage because of the following problems" ... followed by a long laundry list.

The sender is "cpanel on (my domain)." My email server is Fastmail.

Feels scammy to me, but I'd appreciate any insight. TIA.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This is an email scam, yes?
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: January 05, 2022 08:10AM
DCV is Domain Control Validation .

Who is hosting (your domain) ?

Does the 'laundry list' reveal the '7 secure domains that fail DCV' ?

Who is running AutoSSL ?

Is this a Windows® issue? 'cpanel' is not a standard MacOS entity.

Fastmail may have an issue to resolve; you may want to forward the email to admin@fastmail.com .

Clueless, I remain,

=TC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 08:13AM by TheCaber.
Posted by: bik
Date: January 05, 2022 09:06AM
It probably means the system is trying to secure your web host's email-related domains - like webmail.yourdomain.com - but they can't because your mail is hosted at Fastmail.

As long as all the domains listed look email related, you should be fine to ignore, or try to just remove those domains/subdomains from the web host's AutoSSL system.

I've been getting the same email from A2Hosting about one of my domains where the email is with Google, but they're trying to AutoSSL the mail.domain.com subdomain.

This kind of AutoSSL needs to renews, I think, about every 90 days.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: January 05, 2022 09:40AM
Thanks! That makes sense. I just got off a chat with GoDaddy (domain host) and they said all was well with my account, so I can at least eliminate that variable. I get nervous when rummaging under the hood, so to speak.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 06, 2022 10:08AM
Is this a Windows® issue? 'cpanel' is not a standard MacOS entity.

That's interesting because when I was using MacHighway I accessed my email thru their cPanel. Maybe that's why I was always having issues with MH and have since dumped them...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020