advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fry me up tonight ! What do the phorumites like for frying pans ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 05, 2022 09:17AM
I know, I know... Cast Iron. I'm VERY hesitant to use them on the glass topped stove. One aggressive whack and I'm out $$$.

Looking for a non-stick sort of thing that won't burn off happily toxic PTFE because the Parrot would go pining for the fjords. And something with a nice thick bottom because glass topped stoves are notorious for on/off heating that scalds the heck out of what you're cooking.

And no... a gas stove is forbidden after the infamous 1996 evacuation of mrs. cbelt3 and small children when I 'fixed' our then gas stove.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fry me up tonight ! What do the phorumites like for frying pans ?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 05, 2022 09:20AM
I actually like steel over cast iron. It does need to be seasoned first, but works great and weighs less than cast iron.

This is what I have:
[www.amazon.com]

I will say that when seasoned correctly it works fantastic. My wife doesn't understand seasoning though. She keeps scouring it off. Sans seasoning it's just mediocre.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 09:22AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 05, 2022 09:25AM
Mauviel and All-Clad are my favorite brands.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 05, 2022 09:28AM
Pretty happy with the Circulon Elementum we have now.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 05, 2022 09:57AM
[madeincookware.com]

American made stainless. We don't use non-stick anymore because 3 $$ variations of the theme have been utter crap. This one, previously made by another US company, has been with us over a decade.
Zero complaints.
If it ain't cast, stainless. I'd be cautious with a glass top too.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 05, 2022 10:26AM
ztirffritz
I actually like steel over cast iron. It does need to be seasoned first, but works great and weighs less than cast iron.

This is what I have:
[www.amazon.com]

I will say that when seasoned correctly it works fantastic. My wife doesn't understand seasoning though. She keeps scouring it off. Sans seasoning it's just mediocre.

I just bought one of these. It’s highly recommended by the foodie crowd although you do need to put in the effort to season it. My wife bought a couple of ceramic coated pans - they’re okay, perhaps I worry too much about damaging them.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 05, 2022 10:32AM
I use a Lodge cast iron on a glass top stove all the time with no problem. The cast irons I have are much more useful than the All-Clads.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 05, 2022 10:34AM
I am a big fan of Calphalon brand. They are spendy but worth it .

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 05, 2022 10:38AM
Two words:

PRIVATE CHEF
==
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 05, 2022 10:52AM
ztirffritz

This is what I have:
[www.amazon.com]

I have one of those.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 05, 2022 10:53AM
Cbelt,

America's Test Kitchen considers this the best of the bunch:

[www.amazon.com]

Wirecutter likes:

[www.walmart.com]

[www.wayfair.com]

[www.amazon.com]

I have a Calphalon model that has performed well for years. Can't remember the specific version, though.

FWIW, the majority of the major brands are produced by just a small number of manufacturers. They're geared towards different markets and cooks/chefs/people who experiment in the kitchen (me!).

Here is an old thread to read through:

<[forums.macresource.com];

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 05, 2022 10:54AM
Look for a restaurant supply shop, you will get a good quality pan for less than the name brands.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: d4
Date: January 05, 2022 11:00AM
8" Circulon non-stick, hard anodized, for eggs in the morning. Have had it for 5 years. About 40bucks.

12" Calphalon non-stick, w/cover, hard anodized. If I could do it over, I would get the one with the side handle for easier lifting. With the lid and food it gets heavy. Have had it for about a year. About 100bucks.

The Costco version non-stick pans got pretty bad after a year. Didn't bother returning. We got good use out of them. Just wanted something sturdier.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 05, 2022 11:17AM
Fritz
[madeincookware.com]

American made stainless. We don't use non-stick anymore because 3 $$ variations of the theme have been utter crap. This one, previously made by another US company, has been with us over a decade.
Zero complaints.
If it ain't cast, stainless. I'd be cautious with a glass top too.

I have a full set of stainless pots/pans and ceramic non-stick pots/pans. We barely use the non-stick anymore because I discovered that if you heat the oil in the stainless pan while the pan is heating up, it does a good enough job of making the stainless pan non-stick. And the stainless pans are just so much easier to clean with some Barkeeper's Friend and no fear of damaging them.

But there are still times when non-stick is the way to go, so if you're just looking for one non-stick frying pan, then yes, go for it.

Side note: I think induction cooking is WAY superior to electric (and even gas), so if you think you might upgrade your range sometime and want to consider induction, then you might want to take that into account when buying new cookware (since they need to be induction compatible).
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 05, 2022 11:31AM
I was looking for some sample pics of the Sears Stainless cookware with a thick copper plate on the bottom of each pot or pan I bought in like 1984 when I was still single. I found a lot of discussion about metals leeching out of stainless and into the food, I've never heard of this. I've heard of this with aluminum cookware. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

Grateful11
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 05, 2022 03:10PM
America's Test Kitchen has recommended an inexpensive set at Walmart in the past. I used to pay the big bucks for the fancy name non-stick but they never lasted more than 18 months. So if I were to return to using non-stick I think I'd just get an inexpensive well rated set.

For myself I've settle on cast iron for most uses, enamel cast iron for anything that requires non-stick like starches, and I use stainless steel for sauces.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 03:11PM by davemchine.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 05, 2022 03:42PM
davemchine
America's Test Kitchen has recommended an inexpensive set at Walmart in the past. I used to pay the big bucks for the fancy name non-stick but they never lasted more than 18 months. So if I were to return to using non-stick I think I'd just get an inexpensive well rated set.

I went through this myself. After deciding that DAMMIT, I wanted some good pans... I bought good pans and they were good for a while, but yeah... never got to two years of use. On my next hunt, I ran across a set of three pans from walmart for $16 - I bought them. How bad could they be? Well, they weren't great, but they worked as expected and are appearing to be in need of replacement about two years down the road.

not sure what direction to go this time...
Date: January 05, 2022 03:57PM
I bought 3 assorted sized Teflon pans from Walmart for $10. They are $12 now. They are OK for eggs and warming things up. They eventually warped after two years and it’s time to buy more. This time I will keep the heat down more. I paid good money for Caphalon once; never again. I have several Lodges and a few All-Clads, so I’m covered.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 05, 2022 04:03PM
A few years ago, ATK recommended the T-Fal pans... They were very up-front - they would last a year or two, then throw them away and buy a new one. They found NO non-stick pans lasted more than 2 years of non-stickedness, and the T-Fal happened to be one of the ones that got between 1 and 2 years, and happened to be cheap.

I'm on my 4th T-Fal 10" pan... Every 18mo to 2 years, I toss it, and buy a new one. I can't say I really like doing that, but until I find the right carbon steel or stainless pan I like, I'll probably go through 1-2 more that way.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 05, 2022 04:07PM
My mom cooks fried and scrambled eggs in Lodge cast iron like it’s nothing. I think I’ll practice that so maybe I won’t need to buy non-stick pans.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 05, 2022 04:48PM
I’ve become a fan of ceramic pans.

[kitchenambition.com]
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 05, 2022 06:01PM
A others have said, I'm a fan of Calphalon and have some good Lodge cast iron.

Saw in a B,B+B an internet order return of a Ninja pot. It was half price, and was a size I wanted so I bought it.' It is very good quality in my opinion.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: January 05, 2022 06:39PM
I have an All-Clad non-stick that's been going strong for over a decade.

I don't know what y'all are doing to your pans, but it ain't right.
Posted by: kj
Date: January 05, 2022 07:58PM
Dennis S
My mom cooks fried and scrambled eggs in Lodge cast iron like it’s nothing. I think I’ll practice that so maybe I won’t need to buy non-stick pans.

We use a Lodge for everything (eggs, steak, sausages, etc.). You just gotta leave it janky. Plastic scraper only. It's fine on glass, unless you're a knucklehead. So cheap.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 05, 2022 08:55PM
I have a T-Fal non stick. It won't live forever but we've gotten a number of years out of it. If you're only getting a year or two I wonder what you're using it for - high heat? It won't last long like that!

Posted by: zachdog
Date: January 05, 2022 09:34PM
We use Saladmaster. It’s all stainless steel, made to last.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 09:34PM by zachdog.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 06, 2022 06:18AM
We have old Magnalite pots that are around 30 years old, all bought at a dealer outlet. They are anodized aluminum and obviously have held up well. No plans to replace them unless we ever switch from gas to induction. We do have two nonstick pans for eggs and such.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: January 06, 2022 07:18AM
kj
It's fine on glass, unless you're a knucklehead.

Even non-knucklehead have accidents.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 06, 2022 09:04AM
Ombligo
Look for a restaurant supply shop, you will get a good quality pan for less than the name brands.

Exactly what I came here to write.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 06, 2022 09:06AM
For cast iron, one can look for an Erie brand, they're vintage, but they are considerably lighter weight than the Lodge that are so popular. And they are better, imo.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 06, 2022 10:05AM
I'm a fan of both cast iron and stainless. For stainless, all you do to season it each use is warm it up empty for 60 seconds on low-medium heat, then lightly oil with your favorite oil (I like avocado for its high heat point), then let that bond for 60 seconds, then cook your food. Non-stick every time. Note some foods (like sautéed shrooms) need more oil and can stick a little if the heat is too high. Nothing is perfect, but I sure prefer these two options over the "forever chemicals" (and cancer potential) in the typical Teflon-type pans.

[www.google.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 06, 2022 11:00AM
Dennis S

Might be worth getting a few dozen eggs on sale and just experimenting. If you have any dogs, just spread out the experimentation, and feed the pups a few eggs every few days.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 06, 2022 11:37AM
Hi everyone,

I find some of the insights in this thread astonishing. I've been using the same non-stick pots and pans for years. In some cases, a decade or two. The cooking surfaces show minor wear and tear at worst and generally are in fantastic condition. I can't fathom what some of you are doing that is making them wear out in just a year or two or even a few years.

Robert
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 06, 2022 02:48PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

I find some of the insights in this thread astonishing. I've been using the same non-stick pots and pans for years. In some cases, a decade or two. The cooking surfaces show minor wear and tear at worst and generally are in fantastic condition. I can't fathom what some of you are doing that is making them wear out in just a year or two or even a few years.

Robert

I'm 95% with you. If it were just me, my pans would last several decades. I DO have a Circulon pro 14" pan that is over 2 decades old. But I am the only one allowed to touch it. We do have some basic Tremontia PTFE pans that my partner and her youngest kid use. You can see some nicks in 2 of them from absent-minded metal utensil use, and circles where 3 pancakes were fused to the pan once. I keep them separated with paper plates when stacked, but the other 2 don't restack "properly" so they get messed up after a few years.

It's all about properly understanding how to use them, and clean and store them properly. All it takes is one or two careless attempts to check doneness with a paring knife to mess up a great pan.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020