advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1Password transfer issue
Posted by: rz
Date: January 05, 2022 10:23AM
I recently updated to a new iPhone and want to use my copy of 1Password v6. Problem is, I can't remember my main password! I've been using the Touch ID on my old phone for so long, I don't remember the password. I wrote it down long ago, but have since moved into a new house and lord only knows where that note is.

I mainly only use the vault in 1Password. That's all I want/need transferred. There's 160+ entries in it. I still have the old phone, and can access the vault on it. Worst case scenario, I suppose, would be that I start a "new" account on the new phone and manually copy over the information.

Their website mentions an "Emergency Kit", but I think that's something from a newer version of the app because I have no such file and don't ever recall setting one up.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is get it to change my master password, using Touch ID to verify my identity. Then somehow export that to the new phone. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I'd like to hear them.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1Password transfer issue
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 05, 2022 09:32PM
The Emergency Kit is only available to those with subscriptions. There's a "secret code" provided to account-holders that provides a failsafe against loss of your master-password.

You never installed the app on your Mac? It doesn't solve the problem, but it would be handy to have a copy of your vault on the Mac with the 1PW Mac app, where you can use the keyboard to more comfortably type out whatever passwords you might recall to try and unlock the vault.

Date: January 06, 2022 07:58AM
No, never installed on the Mac. I'm going to make a backup then start mucking around to see if I can figure something out. I'm not sure how to "wipe out" the existing database on the new phone. When I fire up the app, all I get is the option to put in a password. Hopefully I can figure it out. I don't want to go to the subscription model.
Date: January 06, 2022 10:20AM
I think I'm just going to go with Last Pass' Free version. It appears to do exactly what I already have 1Password for: a vault to store passwords. It'll be a pain to manually copy everything over, but it'll give me a chance to delete some stuff I know is already no longer used/valid in my 1Password vault.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 07, 2022 08:56AM
Proceed with caution. This is scary stuff. I'm surprised you haven't already encountered a time where 1P required you to physically enter the password instead of using Touch ID, such as after rebooting your phone. I would get to work recording those passwords somehow ASAP!

While far from ideal, you've pretty much circumvented the utility that the program is designed to offer. Consider yourself lucky still being able to get to them.

It's possible to export a vault as plaintext data in the desktop version, but I'm doubtful this would be an option with the mobile version. As a user, there is no way I would want that—ESPECIALLY without having to reenter the master password.

[support.1password.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020